ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: The first mass market Covid-19 vaccine in America will be created by...
Astrazeneca/University of Oxford (Viral Vector Vaccine – Great Britain) 12 16.67%
BioNTech/Pfizer (Genetic Vaccine – Europe) 3 4.17%
CanSino Biologics/China Academy of Military Medical Science (Viral Vector Vaccine - China) 0 0%
CureVac/Gates Foundation (Genetic Vaccine - Germany) 2 2.78%
Gamaleya Research Institute/Russia Ministry of Health (Viral Vector Vaccine - Russia) 3 4.17%
Johnson & Johnson/Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (Viral Vector Vaccine - USA) 3 4.17%
Moderna/National Institute of Health (Genetic Vaccine - USA) 17 23.61%
Murdoch Children’s Research Institute (Repurposed Vaccine – Australia) 0 0%
North Korea State Commission on Science and Technology (Protein-Based and most likely completely fictional Vaccine – North Korea) 3 4.17%
Novavax (Protein-Based Vaccine - USA) 1 1.39%
Sinopharm/Wuhan Institute of Biological Products (Whole-Virus Vaccine – China) 0 0%
Sinovac (Whole-Virus Vaccine - China) 0 0%
Someone else (based in the United States) 5 6.94%
Someone else (based in Europe) 0 0%
Someone else (based in China) 2 2.78%
Someone else (based in some other country not mentioned above) 0 0%
I don't think there'll ever be a vaccine created 1 1.39%
I don't care, because I'll never take a vaccine. 7 9.72%
I don't know. Do I look like an expert on viral vaccine development to you? 13 18.06%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Who will produce the first mass Covid vaccine?
Rain Man 07:03 PM 08-16-2020
Who's going to be the first to mass market in the USA? Cast your public vote in the poll. Here are the rules to determine the winner.

1. We're the USA. We don't care if the Chinese or Russians or North Koreans stick stuff in their people. Only the USA counts.

2. It'll be hard to get exact figures, but as a general rule let's count the winner as the first organization that gets vaccinations inside the bodies of 25 million Americans in at least 25 different states.

I'll include what I think are the leading contenders in the poll, and you can read about them here, as of August 16th, 2020:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng...avirus-vaccine

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...stitute%20one.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 10:25 AM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Care to elaborate?

Maybe via pm?
Considering Oxford was months ahead of everyone, it's a safe bet.

Sarah Gilbert was already deep into her vaccine technology, as she developed it for Ebola and MERS. MERS only affects a handful of people every year, and Ebola fizzled out. But she had her vaccine methodology down.

She uses chimpanzee adenovirus as a Trojan horse for a small snippet of genetic code. Basically, she takes the corona spike that makes this corona virus unique and attaches it to a mild common cold virus. The common cold (adenovirus) houses the genetic coding and delivers it to your immune system, which then updates with the new information.

Other companies do this, but they've been using human adenovirus. The problem with that is your immune system often destroys the Trojan horse outside the city walls, before it can release its payload.

That's why Oxford has been so far ahead of everyone else.

The fact that Russia stole a shitload of vaccine research and is now rushing one through through safety trials is unsurprising, if you know how they developed their atomic bomb.

I wouldn't take a Russian vaccine. I would take the Oxford one. Both Oxford and Moderna should be done by Christmas, but Oxford has long been on pace to be first to market, with 2 billion units contracted for production by three different companies.

Things can change, but that's been the schedule so far, and the events of the last few months have only supported it.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:25 AM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
Was having this conversation yesterday. There aren't enough antivaxxers to make a dent. What to worry about is regular people who turn into covid antivaxxers. Not only for the health and safety, but because it affects the economy. I won't necessarily be first in line to get a vaccine, as they should improve over time and I would like to see the safety data first. But, if I had to choose right now, take the first vaccine available or never take one at all, I'm rolling up my sleeve.
Yeah, that's pretty much where I stand.

If I was to guess, my spot in line is about where I'll want it to be. They'll give vaccines to health care workers and seniors and first responders and the military first. I'll be next in line as a 50-something person, and by then I'll know if those people have turned into werewolves or zombies. But if I had to take it on Day One or not at all, I'll be right there with you. I wish to walk the streets with impunity again.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:29 AM 08-17-2020
Considering Oxford was months ahead of everyone, it's a safe bet.

Sarah Gilbert was already deep into her vaccine technology, as she developed it for Ebola and MERS. MERS only affects a handful of people every year, and Ebola fizzled out. But she had her vaccine methodology down.

She uses chimpanzee adenovirus as a Trojan horse for a small snippet of genetic code. Basically, she takes the corona spike that makes this corona virus unique and attaches it to a mild common cold virus. The common cold (adenovirus) houses the genetic coding and delivers it to your immune system, which then updates with the new information.

Other companies do this, but they've been using human adenovirus. The problem with that is your immune system often destroys the Trojan horse outside the city walls, before it can release its payload.

That's why Oxford has been so far ahead of everyone else.

The fact that Russia stole a shitload of vaccine research and is now rushing one through through safety trials is unsurprising, if you know how they developed their atomic bomb.

I wouldn't take a Russian vaccine. I would take the Oxford one. Both Oxford and Moderna should be done by Christmas, but Oxford has long been on pace to be first to market, with 2 billion units contracted for production by three different companies.

Things can change, but that's been the schedule so far, and the events of the last few months have only supported it.

Very interesting. If Oxford and Moderna come out at the same time, which would you choose?

And agreed on the foreign vaccines. If it looks like a US or European company is close, I'm going to eschew that Russian and Chinese material and wait for the good stuff. I don't trust those countries.
[Reply]
O.city 10:41 AM 08-17-2020
I'm guessing Oxford is first for the reason stated above, but I am hopeful for Moderna's tech.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:58 AM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I'm guessing Oxford is first for the reason stated above, but I am hopeful for Moderna's tech.
Will you take Oxford if Moderna is, say, three months behind them? Or would you wait and take Moderna?

I'm assuming we'll have a choice. No idea if that's true or not, but it seems like an informed person could make a request for one product over another.
[Reply]
O.city 10:59 AM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Will you take Oxford if Moderna is, say, three months behind them? Or would you wait and take Moderna?

I'm assuming we'll have a choice. No idea if that's true or not, but it seems like an informed person could make a request for one product over another.
I’d be fine with the Oxford one.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:18 PM 08-17-2020
Was having this conversation yesterday. There aren't enough antivaxxers to make a dent. What to worry about is regular people who turn into covid antivaxxers. Not only for the health and safety, but because it affects the economy. I won't necessarily be first in line to get a vaccine, as they should improve over time and I would like to see the safety data first. But, if I had to choose right now, take the first vaccine available or never take one at all, I'm rolling up my sleeve.
I'm taking as many as they'll give me ASAP. I've avoided it this long and I'd like to continue that trend.
[Reply]
HemiEd 08-17-2020, 01:43 PM
This message has been deleted by HemiEd. Reason: read the thread
Rain Man 01:51 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
I'm taking as many as they'll give me ASAP. I've avoided it this long and I'd like to continue that trend.
Yeah, I keep thinking about the timing. It would really stink to die or get major complications this close to a vaccine, so I'm being even more cautious now than I was a few months ago.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:52 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Yeah, I keep thinking about the timing. It would really stink to die or get major complications this close to a vaccine, so I'm being even more cautious now than I was a few months ago.
I'm not. We're back face-to-face at the University. We gots ALL the Covid up in here.
[Reply]
oldman 08:30 AM 08-18-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
Right. Russia IS European, after all.
Let me re-phrase that for you then. It'll be one of the western European countries.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:36 AM 08-18-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
Right. Russia IS European, after all.
I always felt that was a little racist on the part of cartographers. We all know why Russia is included in Europe. Meanwhile, Turkey is Asian even though their centroid is way closer to the center of Europe. But they point to the Bosporus and Dardenelles and act like you can't swim across them and they call Russia Europe even though you can see it from Sarah Palin's house.
[Reply]
lcarus 11:02 AM 08-18-2020
I don't know. Do I look like an expert on viral vaccine development to you?
[Reply]
loochy 11:17 AM 08-18-2020
Originally Posted by lcarus:
I don't know. Do I look like an expert on viral vaccine development to you?
Well, apparently most of CP's membership are doctors, are experts on vaccine development, are professional stock traders, are professional football GMs, date only supermodels, bench press 350 for reps, and have larger than average penises.

Considering that, it was a good bet that you would be one.
[Reply]
JakeF 11:55 AM 08-18-2020
China wouldn't have released the virus if they didn't already have a Vaccine.
[Reply]
loochy 12:16 PM 08-18-2020
Originally Posted by JakeF:
China wouldn't have released the virus if they didn't already have a Vaccine.
Did you ever consider that the virus release may have been an accidental breach?
[Reply]
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Up