« First < 152122232425 2627282935 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Willie Gay Jr. Thread*****
Dante84 07:30 PM 04-24-2020
More to come!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
TRR 03:16 PM 09-11-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
That's a really good way to let him freelance and learn a bunch of bad habits. It isn't a sprint to get to the Super Bowl. They know what they're doing.
Agree completely. I’ve heard he’s struggled a bit with the defensive playbook, and everything Spags expects his LB’s to do. Add in that Gay plays 100 miles an hour, and has a short fuse...little mistakes become big. Would have loved to see him at the end of the game on D, but they’ll bring him along slowly, and build up his confidence.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:23 PM 09-11-2020
That's a really good way to let him freelance and learn a bunch of bad habits. It isn't a sprint to get to the Super Bowl. They know what they're doing.
I expect it's exactly why they DIDN'T play him.

When Saunders went out, you had multiple rookies in the D-line rotation. You had a rookie out at corner.

I expect that as complicated as Spags' scheme can be they elected to keep vets in the LB slots to keep from having huge holes due to confusion at multiple levels.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:38 PM 09-11-2020
The simple fact is that the guy hasn't played much organized football (some of it being his own fault).

The knock on him coming out, if there really was one, was that he wasn't very good at diagnosis when a play broke down. He struggled with post-snap processing and played very "out of control" at times which made him hesitant to commit.

Learning the playbook is going to paramount for him so that he can flow naturally and not have to stop and think about what he is doing.

It's also worth noting for those that don't understand why he wasn't playing in place of Niemann, is that he spent the entire offseason, according to his own words, learning the nickel buck and strong side LB. He and Niemann don't play the same positions.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 05:36 PM 09-11-2020
The simple fact is that the guy hasn't played much organized football (some of it being his own fault).

The knock on him coming out, if there really was one, was that he wasn't very good at diagnosis when a play broke down. He struggled with post-snap processing and played very "out of control" at times which made him hesitant to commit.

Learning the playbook is going to paramount for him so that he can flow naturally and not have to stop and think about what he is doing.

It's also worth noting for those that don't understand why he wasn't playing in place of Niemann, is that he spent the entire offseason, according to his own words, learning the nickel buck and strong side LB. He and Niemann don't play the same position
s.
Huh. I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 05:36 PM 09-11-2020
I guess the bright side is that Ragland played just as many defensive snaps, so it wasn't all bad.
[Reply]
htismaqe 05:43 PM 09-11-2020
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
Huh. I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.
Yeah, Gay is actually playing the same position as Wilson and Wilson doesn't come off the field very often right now. The sad thing is that as poorly as the whole unit played, Wilson was probably the worst of the bunch. They were all sorts of bad last night.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 07:27 AM 09-14-2020
I feel like they’ve gotta be saving him for week 3. There was too much positive hype around him all training camp.

Keep him off of the film, then unleash him against Baltimore when you need him most.

Andy is taking this same approach offensively, you can expect another vanilla game plan against LAC. Then he’s going to open it up against the Ravens.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:14 AM 09-25-2020
Spags got Willie a little bit of work before he had to go in the game for Wilson. He’s starting to slowly get on the field

Most know that Willie Gay filled in for Damien Wilson for a few snaps after a sideline collision, but Gay actually had a packaged play in the first quarter.

Chiefs rushing two (Jones and Clark) with Gay as a spy. KC doubles Henry, Williams, and Allen on a big third down play. pic.twitter.com/r8GjoLXQ0u

— Craig Stout (@barleyhop) September 22, 2020

[Reply]
ThaVirus 12:55 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Spags got Willie a little bit of work before he had to go in the game for Wilson. He’s starting to slowly get on the field

Thanks for posting.

That sack by Danna was a great play. He took a second to diagnose the play, disengaged the blocker once he figured it out, erased the outlet FB running to the flat, and closed quickly to secure the sack. That's some wily vet shit.

And the one of Neimann and Thornhill missing tackles is just not winning football. I'll give Thornhill a bit of a pass as he's coming back from injury and an open-field tackle like that is a bit difficult to make, but Neimann had the ball carrier dead to rights. He just gave a shit effort. Anytime you have your fucking 300+ pound DT (shoutout to Nnadi's hustle on that play) cleaning up mistakes in your secondary, you've got issues.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:58 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:

So Spags has a Gay package.

INterdasting.
[Reply]
Kiimo 02:20 PM 09-25-2020
I remember thinking Danna was the only weak pick in the draft lol
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:31 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
I remember thinking Danna was the only weak pick in the draft lol
He's definitely flashed early in the season and appears to be a really smart defensive player
[Reply]
BossChief 03:36 PM 09-25-2020
I hope they have WGJ spying Jackson most of the game.

That’s kinda why they drafted him. His athleticism against teams like Baltimore.
[Reply]
BWillie 03:58 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
I hope they have WGJ spying Jackson most of the game.

That’s kinda why they drafted him. His athleticism against teams like Baltimore.
Agreed. You don't want Ben Nieman trying to hunt down Jackson.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:25 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
He's definitely flashed early in the season and appears to be a really smart defensive player
He had a ton of snaps in college before transferring to Michigan. He's another guy like Wharton that would have been more sought after if he had played at a bigger school.
[Reply]
Page 25 of 49
« First < 152122232425 2627282935 > Last »
Up