ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 40 of 324
« First < 303637383940 414243445090140 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
staylor26 11:04 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
You know who else won SBs as DC: Peter Giunta and Greg Robinson.

You know what Dick Vermeil said when people criticized Greg Robinson: "He's won Super Bowls. You haven't."

How'd that work out for Dick Vermeil?
I’m not claiming that Spags is a genius and a slam dunk hire though. The only reason I’m bringing that up is because you’re completely ignoring/disregarding it and it’s 10x more impressive than anything on John fucking Pagano’s resume.

Also, nothing any of those guys did was as impressive as stopping the GOAT QB and one of the best offense the NFL’s ever seen holding them to 14 pts.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 11:06 PM 01-24-2019
PASSING GAME COORDINATOR & DEFENSIVE BACKS

That's his official title from the Cowboys website.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:06 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
One of the guys you listed wasn’t an option and the other has never been a DC in their life with no ties to Reid at all, so they pretty much weren’t either.

So yes, Pagano was essentially the best you could come up with.
So Chris Hewitt just isn't an option period? According to whom? People who say that it can't happen d/t risk?

You can also promote from college. Kyle Whittingham has gotten a lot of positive press.

But it doesn't really matter what I say. You'll continue to deflect, lie, make up shit from whole cloth and never source or support your claims because that's the kind of poster you are.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:06 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
That's an odd take.
It's an honest question, I thought they came from Baltimore, not 100% on the time frame.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:07 PM 01-24-2019
So Chris Hewitt just isn't an option period? According to whom? People who say that it can't happen d/t risk?

You can also promote from college. Kyle Whittingham has gotten a lot of positive press.

But it doesn't really matter what I say. You'll continue to deflect, lie, make up shit from whole cloth and never source or support your claims because that's the kind of poster you are.
Do you really think Reid was going to turn his defense over to a guy with no playcalling experience?
[Reply]
staylor26 11:08 PM 01-24-2019

Ok fine, Hewitt was an option, albeit a completely unrealistic unknown one.

The bottom line is, Andy Reid, and pretty much any offensive HC, isn’t going to hand over that side of the ball entirely to a first time DC with no connections or history whatsoever. It was never going to happen.

How is me pointing out that not a single option you’ve provided is clearly better deflecting?
[Reply]
BryanBusby 11:08 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
It's an honest question, I thought they came from Baltimore, not 100% on the time frame.
Well yeah, but I wouldn't call it riding Rex Ryan's coattails. In that sense he would have ridden Mike Nolan's and Nolan rode on Marvin Lewis's.

I would say it'd be more accurate to claim they were more products of amazing Defensive drafting by Ozzie.
[Reply]
ChiefoftheKeyboard 11:09 PM 01-24-2019

Clearly the chiefs showed that he wasn't an option. No interview with him kind of answers that question.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 11:09 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Do you really think Reid was going to turn his defense over to a guy with no playcalling experience?
I'd rather have had Macdonald if we were going that route.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:10 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Well yeah, but I wouldn't call it riding Rex Ryan's coattails. In that sense he would have ridden Mike Nolan's and Nolan rode on Marvin Lewis's.

I would say it'd be more accurate to claim they were more products of amazing Defensive drafting by Ozzie.
I mean yea they pretty much all came from a overly talented scheme and failed when they left.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 11:10 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by ChiefoftheKeyboard:
Clearly the chiefs showed that he wasn't an option. No interview with him kind of answers that question.
To be fair, it seems like Reid had his mind made up from the word go.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:11 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
I’m not claiming that Spags is a genius and a slam dunk hire though. The only reason I’m bringing that up is because you’re completely ignoring/disregarding it and it’s 10x more impressive than anything on John fucking Pagano’s resume.

Also, nothing any of those guys did was as impressive as stopping the GOAT QB and one of the best offense the NFL’s ever seen holding them to 14 pts.
I'm not disregarding it, I'm providing context. His recent defenses have been terrible. What he did 8-10 years ago in an entirely different league with the best DL of the last 25+ years is not germane. Buddy Ryan was once the greatest defensive mind in football. How'd that work out for him in Arizona?

You seem to think that these guys constantly stay on the cutting edge. They don't. Most coaches and coordinators have a life cycle of usefulness. Their ideas become obsolete and their schemes get exploited by younger coaches who have studied their weaknesses. It's what happened to the Tampa 2, the 4-3 stack, the two-gap 3-4, the zone blitz, and on and on and on.

Steve Spagnuolo coaching an elite 4-3 defense that faced 21 personnel almost exclusively a decade ago does not mean Steve Spagnuolo can coach a modern NFL defense. Eventually, you separate the coach from the talent and they start to show how fungible they really are. What happened to Al Saunders after he left? What happened to Gunther sans DT and Neil Smith?
[Reply]
ChiefoftheKeyboard 11:11 PM 01-24-2019
And if we're talking college DC's.. Venables was the only realistic option. Still leaving you with a guy with no NFL experience coaching guys 8-10 years older than what he is used to.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 11:13 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by ChiefoftheKeyboard:
And if we're talking college DC's.. Venables was the only realistic option. Still leaving you with a guy with no NFL experience coaching guys 8-10 years older than what he is used to.
Venables is also the 2nd highest paid assistant in CFB. 1.7 million per year, I think. I wanted him too, but don't think that was ever a realistic option. He's got it fucking made at Clemson.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:13 PM 01-24-2019
I'm not disregarding it, I'm providing context. His recent defenses have been terrible. What he did 8-10 years ago in an entirely different league with the best DL of the last 25+ years is not germane. Buddy Ryan was once the greatest defensive mind in football. How'd that work out for him in Arizona?

You seem to think that these guys constantly stay on the cutting edge. They don't. Most coaches and coordinators have a life cycle of usefulness. Their ideas become obsolete and their schemes get exploited by younger coaches who have studied their weaknesses. It's what happened to the Tampa 2, the 4-3 stack, the two-gap 3-4, the zone blitz, and on and on and on.

Steve Spagnuolo coaching an elite 4-3 defense that faced 21 personnel almost exclusively a decade ago does not mean Steve Spagnuolo can coach a modern NFL defense. Eventually, you separate the coach from the talent and they start to show how fungible they really are. What happened to Al Saunders after he left? What happened to Gunther sans DT and Neil Smith?
But Spags just had a damn good defense in 2016 with talent that was slightly above average. Any time he’s had talent he’s had a lot of success, and whe he hasn’t he’s failed. I’m not the one missing the context, it’s you.
[Reply]
Page 40 of 324
« First < 303637383940 414243445090140 > Last »
Up