ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 41 of 70
« First < 313738394041 4243444551 > Last »
Media Center>Star Trek Picard
Frazod 11:27 AM 06-20-2018
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-...in-development

Star Trek: The Next Generation Reboot With Patrick Stewart Reportedly in Development

Rumors of the Picard-centric reboot come amid Alex Kurtzman extending his CBS contract for a planned expansion of the Star Trek TV universe.

According to a THR article, there are unconfirmed rumors that CBS TV Studios is developing a Star Trek reboot starring Patrick Stewart in which he would reprise his The Next Generation role as Captain Jean-Luc Picard. According to THR's sources, Alex Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman are attached to the potential reboot. Not only is this an unconfirmed project, but THR's sources also say that the deal is far from complete and might not happen. Still, this would be huge news for Star Trek fandom—however you might feel about a Picard-centric reboot.

The rumors of the Picard reboot come amidst Kurtzman renewing his overall deal with CBS Television Studios, extending his contract by five years. This will keep him in partnership with the studio through 2023, for a reported $5 million per year.

Kurtzman was recently made sole showrunner of Star Trek: Discovery following the dismissal of previous co-showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg who left amidst reports of bullying behavior in the writers room. Goldsman, who served as an executive producer on Season 1 of Discovery, also left the show, reportedly due to a clash with the writing staff in terms of management style and personality, so it's interesting that he is still attached to the potential Picard-centric reboot.

In addition to his work on Star Trek: Discovery, Kurtzman's extended deal with CBS Television Studios will include an expansion of the Star Trek franchise on the small screen, including the development of new series, miniseries, and other content, including animation.

While this generally seems like good news for the Star Trek universe, it may also be disappointing, depending on what kind of Star Trek fan you are. While the move represents a reinvestment in the Star Trek TV universe, Kurtzman is not known for critical success. Previously, he has co-written the scripts for Transformers, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. More recently, he directed and co-wrote The Mummy. Not exactly the kind of nuanced science fiction writing Star Trek has, at its best, historically represented.

More news on the expanded Star Trek TV universe as we hear it.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 01:01 PM 03-20-2022
I can't believe anyone managed to watch all of season 3 of Discovery. Terrible.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 01:31 PM 03-20-2022
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
I can't believe anyone managed to watch all of season 3 of Discovery. Terrible.
Time for me to go on a bit of a rant. S3 was bad, but they take it to another level in S4. It's the most groan inducing overly melodramatic trash I've ever seen put on screen. It bears literally no resemblance to the first two seasons. Nearly every episode devolves into at least 10 minutes of everyone slowly talking about their feelings (usually during a massive ship-destroying crisis where time is of the essence making it all the more ridiculous). The season is really just one massive therapy session.

The writers, for whatever reason, think this is how you develop characters and yet they also somehow manage to make you not care about any of their characters over the course of the season, except for perhaps the "villain", who seemed like the only sane one of the bunch for most of it in his approach to dealing with the potentially world-destroying problem they were facing. Not one character in the primary cast has been developed over the past two seasons. They are all exactly the same as they were when they went into the far future (and you barely cared about them up until that point either).

The show was also criticized from the beginning as being too "woke." This is not a problem in itself at all to me. The problem is the clumsy way in which bash you over the head with their wokeness over and over again, which has become all the more frequent over the past two seasons. It feels like they are actively attempting to score political/social points every episode and it takes you out of the episode each time they do it.

I'm not sure how any of it was greenlit or continues to be greenlit by CBS/Paramount. Absolutely abysmal stuff. If anyone ever feels tempted to watch any of it, do not. It will only anger you.
[Reply]
unlurking 04:19 PM 03-20-2022
Ouch. I haven't watched since halfway into season 3, but this is depressing for a Star Trek property. :-)

[Reply]
Bowser 05:02 PM 03-20-2022
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Time for me to go on a bit of a rant. S3 was bad, but they take it to another level in S4. It's the most groan inducing overly melodramatic trash I've ever seen put on screen. It bears literally no resemblance to the first two seasons. Nearly every episode devolves into at least 10 minutes of everyone slowly talking about their feelings (usually during a massive ship-destroying crisis where time is of the essence making it all the more ridiculous). The season is really just one massive therapy session.

The writers, for whatever reason, think this is how you develop characters and yet they also somehow manage to make you not care about any of their characters over the course of the season, except for perhaps the "villain", who seemed like the only sane one of the bunch for most of it in his approach to dealing with the potentially world-destroying problem they were facing. Not one character in the primary cast has been developed over the past two seasons. They are all exactly the same as they were when they went into the far future (and you barely cared about them up until that point either).

The show was also criticized from the beginning as being too "woke." This is not a problem in itself at all to me. The problem is the clumsy way in which bash you over the head with their wokeness over and over again, which has become all the more frequent over the past two seasons. It feels like they are actively attempting to score political/social points every episode and it takes you out of the episode each time they do it.

I'm not sure how any of it was greenlit or continues to be greenlit by CBS/Paramount. Absolutely abysmal stuff. If anyone ever feels tempted to watch any of it, do not. It will only anger you.
I have tried three separate times to get into ST: D's 4th season, and just.....absolutely can't. The SFX are amazing and I am curious about the Federation and that universe in that time, but it's just so SO bad. Excellent take, and couldn't have said it better myself.

Help us Captain Pike and Mr. Spock. You're our only hope. *static; message repeats*
[Reply]
Bowser 05:02 PM 03-20-2022
Originally Posted by unlurking:
Ouch. I haven't watched since halfway into season 3, but this is depressing for a Star Trek property. :-)

Oooff
[Reply]
KC_Connection 05:37 PM 03-20-2022
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I have tried three separate times to get into ST: D's 4th season, and just.....absolutely can't. The SFX are amazing and I am curious about the Federation and that universe in that time, but it's just so SO bad. Excellent take, and couldn't have said it better myself.

Help us Captain Pike and Mr. Spock. You're our only hope. *static; message repeats*
None of the other current Trek properties (Picard, Lower Decks, and Prodigy) are certainly great right now, but at least they have good qualities and entertain and are not plagued by the same crippling issues as Discovery (melodramatic therapy sessions, a gross misapprehension/failure of how to develop characters, incessant wokeness among others). Given that, you can probably put the blame for it at the feet of the showrunner/writing team who have apparently been left to their own devices (or Kurtzman is just incapable of saying no to them).

The fact that it was renewed for a 5th season is just incredible given how bad it has become but maybe CBS/Paramount needs content for their streaming service so badly that they are willing to take anything.
[Reply]
Rausch 06:09 PM 03-20-2022
I'm so old I remember when Pecard taught us how to be better people.

Not when he chastized us for being original sinners...
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 06:12 PM 03-20-2022
Originally Posted by Rausch:
I'm so old I remember when Pecard taught us how to be better people.

Not when he chastized us for being original sinners...
Well he did stop the crew from taking out the Borg Queen...that was a very Picard thing to do.
[Reply]
Rausch 06:33 PM 03-20-2022
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Well he did stop the crew from taking out the Borg Queen...that was a very Picard thing to do.
And he did that WHY?
[Reply]
Rausch 06:35 PM 03-20-2022
Clay you literally are the "Girl With All The Gifts."
[Reply]
Frazod 11:45 PM 03-20-2022
Originally Posted by Rausch:
And he did that WHY?
Picard is deliberately responsible for two of the dumbest things in Star Trek history. First, he chose not to return Hugh to the collective with the optical virus, and therefore did not destroy the Borg when he had the chance. It can be argued that he is personally responsible for every death caused by the Borg thereafter. He should have been removed from command, court-martialed and shot for that.

Second, he burned down Admiral Pressman and told the Romulans about the phasing cloak. Seriously, how do you NOT utilize that technology? Think about all the lives that could have been saved during the Dominion War had Star Fleet had that technology. But NOOOOOOOO, we have to honor a dogshit treaty with the biggest weasels in the galaxy. What an utter fucking fool.

That's why Sisko is the best captain in Star Trek and its not even close. He got his hands dirty doing what needed to be done and knew it was for the best.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 01:14 AM 03-21-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Picard is deliberately responsible for two of the dumbest things in Star Trek history. First, he chose not to return Hugh to the collective with the optical virus, and therefore did not destroy the Borg when he had the chance. It can be argued that he is personally responsible for every death caused by the Borg thereafter. He should have been removed from command, court-martialed and shot for that.

Second, he burned down Admiral Pressman and told the Romulans about the phasing cloak. Seriously, how do you NOT utilize that technology? Think about all the lives that could have been saved during the Dominion War had Star Fleet had that technology. But NOOOOOOOO, we have to honor a dogshit treaty with the biggest weasels in the galaxy. What an utter fucking fool.

That's why Sisko is the best captain in Star Trek and its not even close. He got his hands dirty doing what needed to be done and knew it was for the best.

[Reply]
KC_Connection 01:18 AM 03-21-2022
And yes, it's entirely within Picard's character and past actions not to kill the Borg Queen in this situation.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:03 PM 03-21-2022
It’s a party now
[Reply]
notorious 07:06 PM 03-22-2022
Sisko rocked when he poisoned the atmosphere of that planet chasing down his arch nemesis with absolutely ZERO ****s to give.

Pale Moon Light is classic, of course. First time I saw that was great. The scene between Sisko and Garak is my favorite ST scene all time. Makes Picard's 4 lights look like child's play.

The older I get, the further DS9 distances itself from the others as #1.
[Reply]
Page 41 of 70
« First < 313738394041 4243444551 > Last »
Up