ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 22
« First < 41011121314 15161718 > Last »
Media Center>Falcon and The Winter Soldier trailer
Tribal Warfare 04:40 AM 12-11-2020

[Reply]
Mosbonian 06:21 PM 04-17-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
And now, you're being an asshole and you can just **** right off with that shit.

First off, Suspension of Disbelief is expected any time the audience is watching Sci Fi or Fantasy stories. That's a given. But what's NOT supposed to happen is that you're taken out of the story by something so blatantly false and obvious, which is exactly what the show runner decided when he chose to take the "broke" angle.

So, I'm supposed to believe that Iron Man, Wanda, Vision, The Hulk, et al, ALL exist in the real world but Go Fund Me, Meet & Greets and Only Fans doesn't?

I couldn't care less if you don't understand the fact that people are donating money worldwide for causes or nudies but it's happening every single minute of every single day.

But I guess I shouldn't be surprised you can overlook something that's so blatantly stupid and out of place.
It is odd Dane how one minute you can be enlightened to read and then the next moment a pompous jerk if someone doesn't agree with you.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:50 PM 04-17-2021
I think part of what subconsciously bugs people, beyond some of the on-the-nose messaging and speechifying, is there seems to be a startling amount of incoherence in the details. Just little things that don't register right away, but send your BS-meters off.

Like what Sam starts calling in favors, there's a shot of the house on the gulf isolated, and Sam's introduction on the phone voiceover 'hey, it's Sam from DOWN THE STREET.'

Like all the BS non-work they're doing on the boat. Puny little palm sander on a what looks like storage pallets, scraping paint off a huge wood stanchion, vaguely tinkering near something that looks engine-like. For a moment, you think OK, these are all mundane tasks that will eventually have to be addressed maybe? Then at the end, . . . . that was the first afternoon of 'work.' And what on a fishing boat has steam pipefitting that just starts leaking?

Like when Bucky faces off with Zemo at the memorial, pretends like he's gonna shoot him, then drops the bullets . . . like he slid them out of a revolver? If you were even gonna pull that showy demonstration, why not just drop the CLIP and show it to him. Somewhere before he got to the memorial, Bucky took the clip of and pulled each bullet out of it, just so he could drop them on the ground? And that demonstration was to what? Let the Wakanda force SNEAK UP on Zemo from behind, even though it turned out he wasn't gonna fight or flee anyway?

Like I said, no one thing is a big deal, just an accumulating sense of incoherence. So many of the 'background' tasks they were doing to set the narrative seemed like amateur acting workshop spacework, like for a stage play before they get the actual set dressing. You know, where they fold the same shirt for 10 minutes, or push the same spoonful of potatoes around the plate without ever eating.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:54 PM 04-17-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I think part of what subconsciously bugs people, beyond some of the on-the-nose messaging and speechifying, is there seems to be a startling amount of incoherence in the details. Just little things that don't register right away, but send your BS-meters off.

Like what Sam starts calling in favors, there's a shot of the house on the gulf isolated, and Sam's introduction on the phone voiceover 'hey, it's Sam from DOWN THE STREET.'

Like all the BS non-work they're doing on the boat. Puny little palm sander on a what looks like storage pallets, scraping paint off a huge wood stanchion, vaguely tinkering near something that looks engine-like. For a moment, you think OK, these are all mundane tasks that will eventually have to be addressed maybe? Then at the end, . . . . that was the first afternoon of 'work.' And what on a fishing boat has steam pipefitting that just starts leaking?

Like when Bucky faces off with Zemo at the memorial, pretends like he's gonna shoot him, then drops the bullets . . . like he slid them out of a revolver? If you were even gonna pull that showy demonstration, why not just drop the CLIP and show it to him. Somewhere before he got to the memorial, Bucky took the clip of and pulled each bullet out of it, just so he could drop them on the ground? And that demonstration was to what? Let the Wakanda force SNEAK UP on Zemo from behind, even though it turned out he wasn't gonna fight or flee anyway?

Like I said, no one thing is a big deal, just an accumulating sense of incoherence.
Yeah. I think there is an element of that. I usually don’t bring up mechanical stuff because I’m probably an outlier because I actually work on shit. And my wife just rolls her eyes when I point out physics impossibilities.

The gun thing didn’t bother me. It’s pretty easy to store a gun empty and put the bullets in your pocket rather than the clip.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:04 PM 04-17-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Yeah. I think there is an element of that. I usually don’t bring up mechanical stuff because I’m probably an outlier because I actually work on shit. And my wife just rolls her eyes when I point out physics impossibilities.

The gun thing didn’t bother me. It’s pretty easy to store a gun empty and put the bullets in your pocket rather than the clip.
Yeah, that was more unnecessary theatrical flourish than purely illogical. And really, the entire scene had me scratching my head for what they were trying to convey, more than just the unnecessary bullet stuff. Basically, I sensed that the writers fell in love with the image of the bullets falling to the ground and didn't care much about the rest. Plus, as I said, it's a cumulative thing. A sense of fashion over verisimilitude. And part of why it's jarring here is that MCU has had a subtle brand of, even when the tech is fantastical, they put the time into the details to make it plausible [even though much of it is realistically ridiculous]. Or at the very least they wink at their most ridiculous parts [do you guys just put 'quantum' in front of everything?]
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:27 PM 04-17-2021
Dance off!!

via GIPHY

via GIPHY

[Reply]
Buehler445 07:40 PM 04-17-2021
Yeah, that was more unnecessary theatrical flourish than purely illogical. And really, the entire scene had me scratching my head for what they were trying to convey, more than just the unnecessary bullet stuff. Basically, I sensed that the writers fell in love with the image of the bullets falling to the ground and didn't care much about the rest. Plus, as I said, it's a cumulative thing. A sense of fashion over verisimilitude. And part of why it's jarring here is that MCU has had a subtle brand of, even when the tech is fantastical, they put the time into the details to make it plausible [even though much of it is realistically ridiculous]. Or at the very least they wink at their most ridiculous parts [do you guys just put 'quantum' in front of everything?]
Fair.

And that’s probably part of it that’s killing the pacing. If it’s a movie, Bucky probably rolls into Sams place, and it goes like this

Sam: “Did you get him or do I need to do your work for you.”

Bucky: *Bucky face* “Angry Wakanda Chick is taking him to the raft. They’re salty I got him out. But hey, they gave me this... don’t do you things and break it. Again.”

And then the plot proceeds.

I really enjoy Sam and Buckys interactions. Especially when there is sarcasm and banter. And the grief counseling portion of their interaction was compelling television. But it needs editing.

It could be a coronavirus function though. A dork video I watched speculated that there was a virus storyline (they had some evidence) that would have been in poor taste post-corona. So it could be a Quantum of Solace-esque hatchet job to the script. Or not. Who knows.
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 02:53 AM 04-18-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
That's not what I said. I said that if this program doesn't give us some reason to have spent 5+ hours watching, it would cast a "long" shadow, not dark, .
DaneMcCloud everyone. This is the guy who not only knows more than you, is friends with the owner of the site, and unmatched in the art of sniffing your own farts, but also soon to be famous the world over for discovering the worlds first shadow that isnt fucking dark.

Legend.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 05:45 AM 04-18-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
I still like it overall. For all the missteps, sometimes we get a truly great scene like the one with Sam and Bucky throwing the shield around. That might have been the best scene in the entire series so far.
Meh, this series has had a few moments, but it just sucks. Hard to watch much of the time. Watching the finale is going to be tough, just from getting the motivation to turn it on.

Whole thing is massively disappointing.
[Reply]
Fish 11:16 AM 04-18-2021
The whole concept of the Flag Smashers is just dumb as hell. They want to restore things to how they were when half of the universe disappeared? Really? You're going to use terrorism to reunite the world? Really? Led by a skinny freckled ginger girl with a British accent? Really? And the general public is like "Yes, this is a thing that I would like to support by joining your violent revolution! Let's all meet at the park?"

The whole series feels like cheap filler scenes cut from other Marvel movies. Bad writing. There's just nothing there to give it any individuality. Mostly feels meaningless with just enough sprinkles of interest to keep me watching.
[Reply]
-King- 11:37 AM 04-18-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
The whole concept of the Flag Smashers is just dumb as hell. They want to restore things to how they were when half of the universe disappeared? Really? You're going to use terrorism to reunite the world? Really? Led by a skinny freckled ginger girl with a British accent? Really? And the general public is like "Yes, this is a thing that I would like to support by joining your violent revolution! Let's all meet at the park?"

The whole series feels like cheap filler scenes cut from other Marvel movies. Bad writing. There's just nothing there to give it any individuality. Mostly feels meaningless with just enough sprinkles of interest to keep me watching.
The scene at the park was the dumbest funniest thing I've seen in a while.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:05 PM 04-18-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:

Well, to be fair most groups calling for violent revolution, regardless of ideology are largely dumb. Most of the tenants are not well thought out, the strategies are a joke outside of “attack”. Even like radical jihadists who have a real beef with who they’re attacking, most of their rhetoric is dumb as fuck.

Quick overview of any of the rhetoric from any of these groups, whether it’s Occupy WallStreet, BLM, KKK, Proudboys, military douches in Africa, 3%ers, whatever. They’re largely chuckleheads.

And what percentage of the population is fucking morons. If there is 6B people on earth, and only half would be eligible for this fucktardery, 3B of people could be open to this. If it’s .01% of the population, that means 3 million people would be down. If you look at the KC Metro with 500K that’s 25 people in the KC Metro. And think about your daily lives. Is it really 1 in 10,000 people you meet that are morons? That’s a pretty conservative number. And plus some of the people with no place to go after being snapped back would probably join just because they don’t have anything else.

Not a real stretch for me.

You start extrapolating retards out across big populations and it gets scary quick. Nonetheless, I didn’t have too much trouble with it.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:14 PM 04-18-2021
The whole show is fucking laughable. Any government with decent spec ops would have popped a cap in Karly's head from 200 yards already. She's out in the open a lot. She'd be fucking dead.

John Walker is the only one with the balls to actually do something about amateur terrorists (do they even have guns? they are laughably under-armed), and yet somehow he is played up to be more of a bad guy than Karly.

This series better end one way - the death or life imprisonment of Karly, or it is sending a horrible message to the kids watching.

This "villains are a gray area" message is dangerous. The producers and writers of this show are a bunch of idiots.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 03:00 PM 04-18-2021
tenets
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 03:52 PM 04-18-2021
tenets

[Reply]
KC_Connection 04:43 PM 04-18-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
The whole show is ****ing laughable. Any government with decent spec ops would have popped a cap in Karly's head from 200 yards already. She's out in the open a lot. She'd be ****ing dead.

John Walker is the only one with the balls to actually do something about amateur terrorists (do they even have guns? they are laughably under-armed), and yet somehow he is played up to be more of a bad guy than Karly.

This series better end one way - the death or life imprisonment of Karly, or it is sending a horrible message to the kids watching.

This "villains are a gray area" message is dangerous. The producers and writers of this show are a bunch of idiots.
The show is so boring that I rarely pay too close attention (especially to the Flag Smasher scenes), but didn’t she blow up a building earlier with people in it that resulted in a lot of deaths that even the guy she was with was like WTF?

Yeah, she really shouldn’t be being portrayed as morally gray here. If she gets some kind of redemption at the end of this, it’s another failure on the writers.
[Reply]
Page 14 of 22
« First < 41011121314 15161718 > Last »
Up