ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 31
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Media Center>Chernobyl
Frazod 09:08 PM 05-06-2019
Just finished the first episode; I guess I'll be keeping HBO a bit longer after Game of Thrones ends.

It is fascinating, horrifying and infuriating. And spellbinding.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:42 PM 05-09-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:
I have watched a lot of documentaries and read quite a bit about the Chernobyl disaster, but nothing has manifested the feelings I had watching this show.

I was angry, and beyond frustration when the commies did what commies do.

All of this doesn't hold a candle to the Semipalatinsk Test Site aka "The Polygon"

**** the Soviets. They were truly evil.
Holy balls. How did I not know about this?
[Reply]
Miles 09:34 PM 05-09-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I first heard about it on an episode of Vice on HBO a few years back. Awful stuff.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:58 PM 05-09-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
FWIW, it's my opinion that they chose British accents because they're foreign "enough" and it is much easier on the ears than a Russian accent.

If they're going for "realistic" it would be in Russian Subtitled in English, but that drives audiences away. So what good is a Russian accent if you have already dumped "realistic".

Watch the American's. Russian accents are harsh. I didn't mind there and wouldn't mind here, but I think it is intentional.
[Reply]
Frazod 10:01 PM 05-09-2019
FWIW, it's my opinion that they chose British accents because they're foreign "enough" and it is much easier on the ears than a Russian accent.

If they're going for "realistic" it would be in Russian Subtitled in English, but that drives audiences away. So what good is a Russian accent if you have already dumped "realistic".

Watch the American's. Russian accents are harsh. I didn't mind there and wouldn't mind here, but I think it is intentional.
Yeah, I agree. If you're not going to use Russian speakers, having English-speaking actors aping Russian accents just seems pointless.

I personally don't mind subtitles, especially if it's a really, really good movie, like Pan's Labyrinth. Watching that, eventually I didn't even think it. But I understand that's not for everybody.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:02 AM 05-10-2019
It's a joint production with Sky, a British telecom. That would be my guess for the accents.
[Reply]
notorious 06:54 AM 05-10-2019
Originally Posted by stumppy:
Goddamnit why did I google that. All those kids.
Sorry I told you.

Excellent documentary on YouTube about it. The part about the class of grade school girls swimming in the pond is horrifying.
[Reply]
notorious 06:55 AM 05-10-2019
Originally Posted by Miles:
I first heard about it on an episode of Vice on HBO a few years back. Awful stuff.
The doc might have been on HBO now that I think about it......
[Reply]
stumppy 09:48 AM 05-10-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:
Sorry I told you.

Excellent documentary on YouTube about it. The part about the class of grade school girls swimming in the pond is horrifying.
No need to apologize.

I didn't get that far. And I'm not going to for now. That shit just eats at me.
[Reply]
MahiMike 08:06 AM 05-11-2019
I remember watching a B horror movie set inside the place. It was pretty scary and entertaining. Have no idea the name of it.
[Reply]
Stryker 08:20 AM 05-11-2019
Originally Posted by MahiMike:
I remember watching a B horror movie set inside the place. It was pretty scary and entertaining. Have no idea the name of it.
Chernobyl Diaries 2012

A group of young tourists (Ingrid Bolsø Berdal, Jonathan Sadowski, Devin Kelley), hoping for an adventure off the beaten path, hires an extreme-tour guide. In spite of warnings, the tour guide takes the sightseers to the town of Pripyat, Ukraine, once home to workers at the nearby Chernobyl nuclear power plant but abandoned after the 1986 nuclear disaster. After briefly exploring the ghost town, the tourists find themselves stranded -- and worse, they are not alone.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:17 AM 05-11-2019
Just watched it and it was really good. Assuming it’s accurate that people in the town really did think nothing of it that really shows how in the dark they were about knowledge of the plant and potential dangers.

I remember watching the River Monsters episode where Jeremy Wade went fishing in there and he was surprised how there were fish but when they tested them they were definitely stunted in growth and showed radioactive results but were otherwise fine.
[Reply]
wazu 03:06 PM 05-11-2019
Thought of this scene every time they were discussing the possibility or certainty that the core had exploded.

[Reply]
Amnorix 07:27 AM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I still think there is a fundamental difference between a political mind and a scientific mind in a situation like that.

Even though Russia had all sorts of tempermental blindspots imposed by their political rhetoric, and had all sorts of logistical limitations placed on their engineering efforts, they still educated engineers fairly rigorously. And it rings suspect to me that, in the face of first-person observations and data drawn from protocols, the ACTUAL engineers would be flatly incapable of even considering that they were receiving an accurate account.

Politically minded functionaries might put on a face of denial, but this first episode was written more that actual engineers were incapable of processing reality.

I hear you. I do understand, however, the disbelief that the core could have "blown up" and be "gone", in that sense. I'm no engineer but I have no understanding of how that is possible, and they have focused on it -- including the guy who eventually suicides clearly being brought in to explain how those types of cores work -- that I'm expecting a very good explanation around why that was not thought to be possible, but apparently is what happened (in some sense, anyway).

I'm ALL IN on this series, and partly because of exactly what is perplexing the engineers that are in disbelief.

I read quite a bit about Fukushima Daichi when it happened, but not that much on Chernobyl, so it's very interesting to me to see how it all developed etc., and i also hope they stay true to actual events with limited "dramatic license" bullshit.
[Reply]
Amnorix 07:32 AM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
About half the opposition to nuclear is ill-informed hysteria about danger.
About 20% is conspiratorial hysteria about nuclear power being a stalking horse for military funding and proliferation
The rest is grumbling about expense.

But the thing is, a huge, overwhelming almost, portion of the expense is government oversight and licensing. The government is loathe to license until there has been a thorough examination and accounting of every blade of grass in a 50-mile radius of the plant.

A nuclear plant hasn't been built in the US in decades, and never will be again. The local, regional and national political headwinds are too great.
[Reply]
O.city 12:40 PM 05-13-2019
Episode 2 tonight.

Super pumped.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 31
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up