ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 241 of 341
« First < 141191231237238239240241 242243244245251291 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
HonestChieffan 11:58 AM 01-23-2011
Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.

Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?

Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?
[Reply]
Frazod 10:44 PM 09-24-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Which? Creed or PPQ?
The Creed is basically the economy version of the PPQ. I think the main difference is the PPQ has a better trigger. But I've heard nothing but good things about the Creed.

And I love my PPQ.
[Reply]
Fish 11:24 PM 09-24-2020
I ordered this plinker .22 over the weekend for my son so we have something else to shoot on the rifle range besides the AR and shotgun. $286.32 with tax. They have 4 more as of right now if anyone is looking.
https://sgcusa.com/rifles/ruger/ruge...synthetic.html

I haven't looked for 22LR yet, supposed that's all gone too.

Ruger 10/22 Blued Synthetic
SPECIFICATIONS:
Mfg Item Num: 1151
Category: FIREARMS - RIFLES
Action :Semi-Automatic
Caliber :22 Long Rifle
Barrel Length :18 1/2
Capacity :10 + 1
Trigger :Single Stage
Safety :Cross Bolt
Length :37
Weight :5 lbs
Stock :Black Synthetic
Finish :Blue

Turn that into a bullpup.. Super fun..........

https://www.hightowerarmory.com/High...Gray_p_25.html
[Reply]
Frazod 12:17 AM 09-25-2020
A .22 bullpup? Jesus. :-)
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:42 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc:
Looking to buy my first handgun(I own several shotguns). I’m looking for recommendations on a decent gun at a reasonable price. Something I can keep for protection and is also fun to shoot.

Suggestions?
General guidelines for a first handgun (Unless you're going to CC):

Buy American. Note that several 'foreign' manufacturers have factories in the U.S., such as BerettaUSA, SIG-USA, etc. In the event of a problem getting help is much easier, shorter turn-around, and less expensive. Also American handguns are just about the best in the world. Most American gun companies offer some kind of limited warranty or have an implied warranty, such as Ruger that will repair or replace a gun almost regardless of issue/damage/fault/age. Most foreign manufacturers aren't nearly as easy to deal with and you have to read the fine print in their warranties, plus pay overseas shipping rates. Both ways.

Buy a full-size (FS) gun. Bigger guns are easier to manipulate, easier to shoot straight, absorbs recoil more, and usually have higher capacity.

Buy a gun with a proven history. Don't make the mistake of buying something that was just designed last year. It usually takes 2-4 years for a company to work out the bugs in any new design, making it more likely you'll end up with a defective part or manufacture if the thing came off the drawing board yesterday.

Buy a gun with a large aftermarket parts/accessory field. Guns nowadays are designed to accept all sorts of aftermarket parts, such as night sights, red dots, lasers, triggers, weapon-lights, etc. You shouldn't necessarily overload your gun with accessories but some of them might be extremely helpful on the range or in a gunfight. All handguns that I own that I might use in SD/HD get speed dot type iron sights(AmeriGlo I-Dot), and a weapon-light at the minimum. A couple have lasers, and one has a red dot. The capability to hang accessories on a gun also makes it a little more resaleable.

Buy a polymer gun. I wasn't always so sanguine about plastic fantastic guns, but the fact is that these things are reliable, durable, and just as accurate as any stock HD-type handgun. Plus, they all are very similar in their operation, controls, and field-stripping procedures. So if you've seen one . . .

But the biggest advantage to polymer guns is that just flat require less maintenance and care than an all-metal firearm. Taking one down and doing your due diligence with cleaning and maintenance literally takes less than five minutes these days and that includes putting it back together.

Or you can neglect to clean and lube the thing for several months to a year and it's not a problem. As a test, I once put several of my handguns through 12 months of shooting once a week, about 2,000 rds per gun without doing any maintenance whatsoever. All but one performed throughout with nary a failure, and the other might've actually been due to a bad round. This was not possible a couple decades ago with most all-metal handguns.

Suggested manufacturers:

S&W
Glock
Ruger (Sturm, Ruger & Co.)
SIG-USA
BerettaUSA
Springfield Armory
Colt
Walther Arms -USA

Final note:

Using a handgun for SD/HD actually requires a fair amount of training and practice. The reality is that handguns were and are and always will be 'last-ditch' weapons for close contact combat. Pistol calibers are by necessity rather small and underpowered, they are difficult to aim at longer than arm's reach, and thus a lot of training is required to become proficient in SD/HD type shooting. If you aren't interested in putting in the effort and time, I respectfully suggest that some kind of PCC (Pistol Caliber Carbine) would be a much, much better choice for home defense purposes. PCCs are much easier to aim and shoot effectively, require less overall training, are more accurate out of the box even for newbies, and usually have significantly more firepower.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:06 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:

What. The. Hell.
[Reply]
Otter 02:41 PM 09-25-2020
What. The. Hell.

I'll take "Things Jan Brady & Pauly Shore take into combat" for $1000, Alex.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:43 PM 09-25-2020
I just don't get the fascination with .22s. I guess if I lived out in the boonies and had pest issues it would be useful, but beyond that, to me a .22 is a child's training rifle. Getting all tacticool with a .22 is like putting Cragars on a tricycle.

To each their own, I guess.
[Reply]
LiveSteam 03:01 PM 09-25-2020
Ive moved down from 22lr to the 17 rim fires
HMR and cousin just bought a 17 Winchester Super Mag.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:06 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I just don't get the fascination with .22s. I guess if I lived out in the boonies and had pest issues it would be useful, but beyond that, to me a .22 is a child's training rifle. Getting all tacticool with a .22 is like putting Cragars on a tricycle.

I have two .22s. Guess where I live? :-)
[Reply]
Otter 03:09 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I have two .22s. Guess where I live? :-)
A friend told me you take down white tails with a .22 LR cartridge fired through a long barrel.

Head shot of course.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:12 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by Otter:
A friend told me you take down white tails with a .22 LR cartridge fired through a long barrel.

Head shot of course.
I've never dropped a deer like that. Now, there is this one time with a coyote... :-)
[Reply]
Fish 05:25 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:

.22 is a lot of fun honestly. Moreso when you could get ammo for dirt cheap.
But the Ruger 10/22 is a really fun little gun with lots of options to tinker with it. Super popular, so parts are cheap. Insanely accurate. Back in the day, I could get a bucket of bullets for under $10. Spend the entire day shooting groundhogs/squirrels/birds/snapping turtles/etc. There's a lot of 10/22 fans out there.
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:32 PM 09-25-2020

I can't think of a single good reason to do this to a perfectly good 10/22. A Bullpup conversion will make what is normally a fairly accurate .22LR rifle significantly less accurate. Bullpup triggers are some of the worst contraptions in the known universe. Bullpups are just about the worst ergonomic designs ever created.

And the Bullpup design is specifically intended for CQB in urban environments. But no one would ever consider the .22LR an adequate defensive round. Never mind the tiny caliber, the low velocity, or the light weight. It's a rimfire cartridge; basically the least reliable construction available.

The thing is about as useful as a bumpstock.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:12 PM 09-25-2020
.22 is a lot of fun honestly. Moreso when you could get ammo for dirt cheap.
But the Ruger 10/22 is a really fun little gun with lots of options to tinker with it. Super popular, so parts are cheap. Insanely accurate. Back in the day, I could get a bucket of bullets for under $10. Spend the entire day shooting groundhogs/squirrels/birds/snapping turtles/etc. There's a lot of 10/22 fans out there.
One of the most fun little guns to shoot...

[Reply]
LiveSteam 10:16 PM 09-25-2020
Nylon 66 Mohawk.
Nice.
Huge fan of Rems Mohawk line
Have a 222,223 and a 243 Mohawk 600s
[Reply]
Page 241 of 341
« First < 141191231237238239240241 242243244245251291 > Last »
Up