ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Media Center>Do You Really NEED an AIO Cooler?
vailpass 11:54 AM 11-24-2020
It's well documented that a liquid cooler is the most effective type of cooler.

But do you actually need an aio, especially if you aren't going to push max OC limits?

For the build I'm piecing together I ended up going with an air cooler, Scythe Mugen 5, on an Intel I7-10700k. I'm more comfortable with the install, didn't want the risk of a leak down the road, and felt like the extra $150 was better spent elsewhere.

What do you say? AIO is a must, a nice to have, or other?
[Reply]
vailpass 05:57 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by Pants:
Mine is an EVGA but I only got it to match my prominent EVGA GPU.
Yeah, there’s something to be said for coordinating. Was the install fairly straight forward?
[Reply]
Pants 08:03 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Yeah, there’s something to be said for coordinating. Was the install fairly straight forward?
Yep! I have my radiator mounted to the inside part of the top of the case with fans right underneath it pushing/blowing the warmth out. I do not remember it being a pain the ass at all. I think I watched an EVGA-produced video before I installed and that probably helped me formulate my approach.
[Reply]
vailpass 09:52 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by Pants:
Yep! I have my radiator mounted to the inside part of the top of the case with fans right underneath it pushing/blowing the warmth out. I do not remember it being a pain the ass at all. I think I watched an EVGA-produced video before I installed and that probably helped me formulate my approach.
:-)
[Reply]
SuperChief 05:29 PM 01-05-2021
Good to hear the Corsair worked for you. Did you top-mount your fans?
I honestly don't remember. I'm sorry!
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 01:59 PM 01-07-2021
No, but you need an Ecto Cooler
[Reply]
KCTitus 02:52 PM 01-07-2021
Did a CoolerMaster 360 a few months ago...top mounted the radiator and to do had to sacrifice the front USB hub. oh well...

It was simple enough, but I mistakenly took out the MB to mount the bracket and I didnt need to, so that added about an hour to the project.

My CPU was giving me thermal issues and wouldnt OC, but this AIO dropped the normal operating temp by 20 degrees C. Id say it was worth it.
[Reply]
vailpass 04:12 PM 01-07-2021
Originally Posted by KCTitus:
Did a CoolerMaster 360 a few months ago...top mounted the radiator and to do had to sacrifice the front USB hub. oh well...

It was simple enough, but I mistakenly took out the MB to mount the bracket and I didnt need to, so that added about an hour to the project.

My CPU was giving me thermal issues and wouldnt OC, but this AIO dropped the normal operating temp by 20 degrees C. Id say it was worth it.
Good to know. 360 is a big rig. I'm doing a Corsair 280 in an NZXT h710 case that has a dedicated top rack for a radiator so I'm HOPING that will make it easier on me as a first-time AIO installer.

That's a huge performance bump you got, 20 degrees? Thanks for the input.
[Reply]
HemiEd 07:09 PM 01-07-2021
Holy shit, now this is a geek thread I stumbled into. :-)
[Reply]
vailpass 08:43 PM 01-07-2021
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
Holy shit, now this is a geek thread I stumbled into. :-)
:-) You think this is bad Ed, go look into the Star Wars Mandalorian thread.
[Reply]
KCTitus 12:51 PM 01-08-2021
Good to know. 360 is a big rig. I'm doing a Corsair 280 in an NZXT h710 case that has a dedicated top rack for a radiator so I'm HOPING that will make it easier on me as a first-time AIO installer.

That's a huge performance bump you got, 20 degrees? Thanks for the input.
yep...my idle temp went from 40+ to 20...I was shocked. Good to hear you're top mounting, because the most important thing is to make sure the pump is below the radiator's input/output hose connections. That keeps the air pocket in the radiator and not the pump. Over time fluid will slowly evaporate and the air pocket in the system will grow, you just dont want it to get into the pump.
[Reply]
vailpass 04:25 PM 01-08-2021
Originally Posted by KCTitus:
yep...my idle temp went from 40+ to 20...I was shocked. Good to hear you're top mounting, because the most important thing is to make sure the pump is below the radiator's input/output hose connections. That keeps the air pocket in the radiator and not the pump. Over time fluid will slowly evaporate and the air pocket in the system will grow, you just dont want it to get into the pump.
Thanks, this is good information. I didn’t know pump placement relative to the radiator mattered.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 06:13 PM 01-08-2021
Here is a good video on the AIO pump placement

[Reply]
vailpass 09:03 PM 01-08-2021
Originally Posted by mac459:
Here is a good video on the AIO pump placement

Yep, that brings it home. Thanks.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up