ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2210 of 3903
« First < 1210171021102160220022062207220822092210 221122122213221422202260231027103210 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 12:53 PM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
That was a lot of words but you never answered the question I asked you.
And im not going to. Sorry. Have fun posting another 50-times today bitching about social distancing
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:56 PM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
But those things don’t stop 1.35 million people form dying every year, so we need to do more.

No more driving unless you’re going to work, taking your kids to school, etc.

I mean if you don’t agree you’re basically a piece of shit that’s ok with 1.35 million people still dying every year.
No, that's a weak argument born of desperation. It's nihilistic and the natural extension of it is that no amount of deaths matter because we can't prevent all of them.No one ever said the goal was risk elimination. The goal is risk mitigation.

We don't refuse to give drugs to people because 1/10,000 will have an allergic reaction, we analyze whether the therapy will do more good than harm. Cops pull cars over without taillights all the time because, in theory, they're a risk to themselves and other drivers. Doing so won't prevent all accidents, but the thought is to limit them. Seat belts sometimes kill people who would have otherwise survived accidents, but it doesn't mean they don't save lives on the balance. Sealing fuel tanks and mandating air bags don't save everyone, but they do save a lot of people. You'll never get the number down to zero, but you can lower it through interventions that are low consequence.

I can tell you firsthand I've experienced other interventions that are a hell of a lot more unpleasant than that. I don't particularly enjoy having poison pumped into my jugular vein every other week for three hours--I'm exhausted afterwards, my ribs and sternum ache for days, it literally hurts just to sit down, my esophageal tract is filled with sores, but I do it because the reward is worth the short-term suffering, and it's a hell of a lot more unpleasant than some of these impossibly minor sacrifices others refuse to make.

Do you have any idea how much fucking money a pharmaceutical company would make if they could reduce the infectiousness of this disease by half? Gilead is going to make billions on remdesivir when it only reduces hospitalization time by 1/3. Pharma companies made tens of billions of dollars on statins which increase quality of life years by 3 months for the average user. Three months.

Yet here's the thing: we already have such a treatment, and it costs pennies: wear a mask and don't gather in large groups. The same people who will bitch endlessly about using hydroxychloroquine as prophylaxis when there is no evidence and very well known side effects refuse to put on a surgical or cloth mask that costs a few cents or dollars. That is such a small ask.
[Reply]
Bowser 12:57 PM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
No, that wasn't all. That was just part of it. If one doesn't get infected, one doesn't get sick. If one doesn't get sick, one doesn't got to the hospital. If one doesn't get sick, one can't die from it.
So, "flattening the curve"?
[Reply]
Donger 12:59 PM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Minimize infections, to minimize the chance of hospital overruns, to minimize deaths.

“If you look at the curves of outbreaks, you know, they go up big peaks, and then they come down. What we need to do is flatten that down,” he has said publicly. “That would have less people infected. That would, ultimately, have less deaths.”
[Reply]
staylor26 01:00 PM 05-24-2020
Hamas I didn’t say anything about not wearing a mask or hanging out in large groups.

Like I’ve said, I’m in the middle here. I’m willing to be reasonable.

This all started because PA thinks anybody that did their part in flattening the curve and now wants to move on with their lives (gym, haircut, etc.) within reasonable social distancing measures is a POS.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 01:02 PM 05-24-2020
Hamas I didn’t say anything about not wearing a mask or hanging out in large groups.

Like I’ve said, I’m in the middle here. I’m willing to be reasonable.

This all started because PA thinks anybody that did their part in flattening the curve and now wants to move on with their lives (gym, haircut, etc.) within reasonable social distancing measures is a POS.
Not at all. I'm merely pointing out the sacrifices Michigan residents are making by following social distancing orders are well worth it when you consider it could save countless lives.
[Reply]
dirk digler 01:03 PM 05-24-2020
Why do you feel the need to put words in my mouth and the opine on something I never said?

I am just messing around with you lighten up.
[Reply]
Donger 01:03 PM 05-24-2020
And depending on where you live and how far you take that, that’s fine.

Like I said, I live in Key West where the cases have become pretty much non-existent and a total of 3 people died all together despite a late lockdown.

I’m not going to wear a mask other than when I have to. If I lived somewhere else, I’d be a little more considerate.
The population of Key West is 25,000 and you have 99 cases?
[Reply]
petegz28 01:04 PM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
And im not going to. Sorry. Have fun posting another 50-times today bitching about social distancing
Figures....

I can answer for you. You were talking out of your ass.
[Reply]
dirk digler 01:05 PM 05-24-2020
And depending on where you live and how far you take that, that’s fine.

Like I said, I live in Key West where the cases have become pretty much non-existent and a total of 3 people died all together despite a late lockdown.

I’m not going to wear a mask other than when I have to. If I lived somewhere else, I’d be a little more considerate.

Lucky you. If I lived in Key West I wouldn't give a fuck either :-)
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 01:06 PM 05-24-2020
Not at all. I'm merely pointing out the sacrifices Michigan residents are making by following social distancing orders are well worth it when you consider it could save countless lives.
Keeping covid patients away from retirement homes would be a start.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 01:08 PM 05-24-2020
Figures....

I can answer for you. You were talking out of your ass.
Here's a question for you internet tough guy. How many lives do you think were saved by social distancing?
[Reply]
petegz28 01:09 PM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
He will still argue with you but here.....

Originally Posted by :
Health officials take for granted that COVID-19 will continue to infect millions of people around the world over the coming weeks and months. However, as the outbreak in Italy shows, the rate at which a population becomes infected makes all the difference in whether there are enough hospital beds (and doctors, and resources) to treat the sick.

In epidemiology, the idea of slowing a virus' spread so that fewer people need to seek treatment at any given time is known as "flattening the curve." It explains why so many countries are implementing "social distancing" guidelines — including a "shelter in place" order that affects 6.7 million people in Northern California, even though COVID-19 outbreaks there might not yet seem severe.

The "curve" researchers are talking about refers to the projected number of people who will contract COVID-19 over a period of time. (To be clear, this is not a hard prediction of how many people will definitely be infected, but a theoretical number that's used to model the virus' spread.)

The curve takes on different shapes, depending on the virus's infection rate. It could be a steep curve, in which the virus spreads exponentially (that is, case counts keep doubling at a consistent rate), and the total number of cases skyrockets to its peak within a few weeks. Infection curves with a steep rise also have a steep fall; after the virus infects pretty much everyone who can be infected, case numbers begin to drop exponentially, too.

The faster the infection curve rises, the quicker the local health care system gets overloaded beyond its capacity to treat people. As we're seeing in Italy, more and more new patients may be forced to go without ICU beds, and more and more hospitals may run out of the basic supplies they need to respond to the outbreak.

A flatter curve, on the other hand, assumes the same number of people ultimately get infected, but over a longer period of time. A slower infection rate means a less stressed health care system, fewer hospital visits on any given day and fewer sick people being turned away.

For a simple metaphor, consider an office bathroom.

"Your workplace bathroom has only so many stalls," Charles Bergquist, director of the public radio science show "Science Friday" tweeted. "If everyone decides to go at the same time, there are problems. If the same number of people need go to the restroom but spread over several hours, it's all ok."

https://www.livescience.com/coronavi...the-curve.html

[Reply]
staylor26 01:09 PM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
The population of Key West is 25,000 and you have 99 cases?
That’s in all of Monroe county (where the population is 70,000), not just Key West.
[Reply]
petegz28 01:10 PM 05-24-2020
Here's a question for you internet tough guy. How many lives do you think were saved by social distancing?
Don't know and we have no way of knowing for sure. Now answer my question or :-).
[Reply]
Page 2210 of 3903
« First < 1210171021102160220022062207220822092210 221122122213221422202260231027103210 > Last »
Up