ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 151 of 319
« First < 51101141147148149150151 152153154155161201251 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Veach's '21 Offseason Plan to Keep Us Thriving: Let's speculate
Dante84 10:03 AM 02-08-2021
In order to prevent us wasting precious years of Patrick Mahomes' career, Veach needs to work some magic this offseason. What's your advice for him?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:57 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I just could not disagree more
Really?

drafting a mid round offensive lineman seems like too steep for you?

when we have the best WR in football, best TE in football, and a #1 draft pick at RB?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:00 PM 03-04-2021
I just could not disagree more.

This team won 14 games with multiple backups at LG, RG and RT.
yeah, and covid opt outs and injuries cost us a SB.

But what if the injury bug hits the line again next year?

Fisher was having back problems before the achilles and has missed time the last couple of seasons. Schwartz had been a rock, but he's over 30, 300 plus pounds, and with both back problems usually continue.

I'd rather have some better talent than Remmers, Reiter and Wylie.

I want another DE too, and we could sure use a #2 WR.

At least one of those can come in FA.

You've got the first couple rounds in the draft to look at that too.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:05 PM 03-04-2021
I just could not disagree more.

This team won 14 games with multiple backups at LG, RG and RT.
I mean, to me, one one hand, it says that our skill position players were just that good.

And then there's the SB loss, in which we finally just had too many injuries on the line to compete, which negated all that skill position talent.

Seems to me to be a no-brainer to beef up the line a bit, especially with two 30 plus OT's coming off of season ending injuries and subpar OC and OG play.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:05 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Really?

drafting a mid round offensive lineman seems like too steep for you?

when we have the best WR in football, best TE in football, and a #1 draft pick at RB?
A mid-round tackle, guard or center?

Unless something happens with Schwartz or Fisher's rehab, I don't really understand the need to draft yet another tackle in the first 3 rounds, which is something they did last year.

A late round guard or center? Sure, no problem, they need depth at those position or at least one guy versatile enough to play inside or at center.

But it just doesn't make any sense to me to draft a tackle when they're heading into the season with Fisher, Schwartz, Niang and most likely, a true veteran Swing Tackle, especially considering they could use their first three picks on starters, whether it's at Safety or CB or DE or LB or WR.

Those skill position guys are far more important, IMO, than drafting a tackle to sit on the bench.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 02:12 PM 03-04-2021
Reiter is NOT a really good center and I don't care what PFF says.

And Wylie is shitty.

I don't care what you say.

Not on this topic. They're not worthy.
I don't care what they say, either. He is a really good center, though. I'm not sure how that's up for debate.
[Reply]
Hoover 02:16 PM 03-04-2021
No team will be able to withstand major injuries. The Packers lost their LT late in the year too, and it clearly cost them.

There are ample reason why the Chiefs should be looking at Oline in this draft, and the Super Bowl is not the mail reason.

1. Its a deep draft for offensive linemen (Meaning we probably don't need to invest a 1st round pick.
2. After 2021, we only have Allegretti (G), Durant (T), and Niang (T) under contract. So we need offensive linemen.
3. We are playing our playmakers a lot of money, so other positions need to remain cheap, drafting olinemen allow us to make minimal cap investments on that position group. Look at the money we don't spend at the corner position. Chiefs need to be cheap with oline and RB.

By all means, take a playmaker with out first pick, but after that the Chiefs have to be in the hunt for offensive linemen. As we currently don't have a center, and really only one longterm tackle. I don't think hunting for oline starting in the 2nd round should be frowned upon.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 02:17 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Yeah Veach mentioned fixing the lines, but with them projecting both tackles back, it would appear that taking an OL early would be a bench warmer. I’m fine with that if a stud falls to us but it isn’t likely.

Think about this: our OL struggled bc of injuries and opt outs. They were fine in week 1. Meanwhile our DL was mentioned as “a strength of the team” with quality depth and talent and they just did not perform. Wharton was awesome and Danna was a nice surprise as a rotational player but the unit overall was very underwhelming.

I think you can translate Veach’s comments down to these points:

-we have to rush the passer better
-we need depth on the OL and more flexibility
-we need to be stronger

LDT, Rankin, Fisher and Schwartz are all in contract years. We need to draft to replace a couple of these guys to go along with Niang.
Really good point.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:18 PM 03-04-2021

Unless something happens with Schwartz or Fisher's rehab, I don't really understand the need to draft yet another tackle in the first 3 rounds, which is something they did last year.

A late round guard or center? Sure, no problem, they need depth at those position or at least one guy versatile enough to play inside or at center.

But it just doesn't make any sense to me to draft a tackle when they're heading into the season with Fisher, Schwartz, Niang and most likely, a true veteran Swing Tackle, especially considering they could use their first three picks on starters, whether it's at Safety or CB or DE or LB or WR.

Those skill position guys are far more important, IMO, than drafting a tackle to sit on the bench.
Well, it depends. There are OT's that will be drafted in the 2nd and third that are lower ceiling guys than others. And an OT drafted in rounds 2-4 won't necessarily sit the bench either as Reid always drafts/signs UDFA's that played OT in college and plays them wherever if they're one of the best 5.

Generally speaking I think an OL drafted anywhere in rounds 1-3 will be a starter. Just maybe not at their college position, which is perfectly fine and not indicative of where they end up later. Niang, as you remember, was slated to work at guard before the covid opt-out.

I'm not sure a Safety in the early rounds is a starter. Who gets the hook? Honey Badger? Thornhill? Are you looking to upgrade Sorensen? I'm in for that but I don't think you need a 1-3 rounder to do that. I like Deablo in the 4th personally.

CB? Well maybe, but I don't hate rolling with Sneed, Ward, Baker, Fenton and picking up the usual late round development guys we've been hitting on lately. If you draft a CB in round one, is he going to start immediately? I doubt it.

DE I'm all in on actually, in round one. And maybe another late as a development guy.

LB? no chance that guy starts unless he takes Gay's spot and it's too early to give up on Gay I think. Hitchens makes all the calls and runs that defense on the field. No rookie is going to do that.

WR? We need to restock some talent there for the future, but who's the last rookie to start for Reid? On this team? No way. They'd have packages, and would play some, but they're not going to take majority snaps until year 2. AND I like several guys slated to go in the 2-4th rounds just as much as the late first guys.

So no, I don't think it's a waste at all and I would fully expect any player taken in the first 3 rounds plays a significant amount in year one.
[Reply]
Hoover 02:18 PM 03-04-2021

Would love to know your plan on the center position.

The choice seems to be between a high draft pick or a lot of cap money.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:22 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
I don't care what they say, either. He is a really good center, though. I'm not sure how that's up for debate.
I just really disagree.

He's a fair pass protector. He's a terrible run blocker. That doesn't equal really good to me.

Hudson was really good. Morse was good too, just slightly less. Reiter is worse than Morse at everything but being available.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:25 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by Hoover:
Would love to know your plan on the center position.

The choice seems to be between a high draft pick or a lot of cap money.
Very true.

I trust Veach and Reid, but if they pay Reiter a bunch of money I'll be pretty disappointed.
[Reply]
Hoover 02:26 PM 03-04-2021
Very true.

I trust Veach and Reid, but if they pay Reiter a bunch of money I'll be pretty disappointed.
Same.

My fear is that it seems like something the Chiefs would do.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:29 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by Hoover:
Same.

My fear is that it seems like something the Chiefs would do.
man, if we had a really good Center we'd be in decent shape on the line, really, with minimal further investment assuming they like Niang. A cheap vet swing tackle and you're in decent shape.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 02:29 PM 03-04-2021
I just really disagree.

He's a fair pass protector. He's a terrible run blocker. That doesn't equal really good to me.

Hudson was really good. Morse was good too, just slightly less. Reiter is worse than Morse at everything but being available.
We, literally, have no idea if that is true. A huge part of what the center is tasked with doing involves making calls on the line. Sure, Pat assists with that, but the line calls tend to come from the center. There is also how well the center works with the QB, in that phase and others. Simply producing snaps consistently where the QB wants/likes them is a huge deal. Reiter appears to be really good at that, but so was Morse (somewhat surprisingly.)

I doubt Reiter is actually better than Morse. But, I'm also not sure he's a huge downgrade, either. The guy you draft or sign to replace him most likely will be. I assume that's what will happen and hope that we can make the best of it.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 02:30 PM 03-04-2021
man, if we had a really good Center we'd be in decent shape on the line, really, with minimal further investment assuming they like Niang. A cheap vet swing tackle and you're in decent shape.
Where is that "better-than-Reiter-for-less-money" center coming from?
[Reply]
Page 151 of 319
« First < 51101141147148149150151 152153154155161201251 > Last »
Up