ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 933 of 3903
« First < 433833883923929930931932933 934935936937943983103314331933 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:08 PM 03-30-2020
https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...untries-2020-3

Interesting stats here. I would like to see which countries quickly enacted a stay in place and how much of a difference that has made.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 11:27 PM 03-30-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Almost a million people in NY rode the subway today.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...iders.amp.html

I understand the difficulties it presents shutting down the subway system, but if they don’t (or at minimum limiting it to only health care and grocery workers) NY is goi g to get exponentially worse.
Tough situation and I don't know what the answer is honestly. In my opinion no landlord in NYC should have the ability to evict someone right now. Does anyone know if they can?

The people riding the subway obviously would rather take the risk of getting the CoronVirus then be homeless. I feel horrible for them and its got to be a tough situation.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:31 PM 03-30-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Tough situation and I don't know what the answer is honestly. In my opinion no landlord in NYC should have the ability to evict someone right now. Does anyone know if they can?

The people riding the subway obviously would rather take the risk of getting the CoronVirus then be homeless. I feel horrible for them and its got to be a tough situation.
I've ridden the subways there. If we're talking about Manhattan, it's not that huge. You could cut the number of stops by 90 percent and just convert them to express trains, and possibly cut 75 percent of riders. It's not that far. Manhattan is only about 6 or 7 miles long if you're going from one end to the other, which means that most people probably aren't going that far. People can walk three miles.
[Reply]
jerryaldini 12:44 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Also - this website is very interesting, but the data/projections has changed wildly from yesterday to today for many states.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/
Thanks for posting this TLO! It really eased my mind!

Link below explains how they just updated the model incorporating recent US data which would explain the changes. I have a severely asthmatic daughter and have been worried about ventilator and ICU capacity (too many hyperbolic articles). These data (U of Washington) are very encouraging for my state. Unfortunately not so for our friends in NY and NJ. It's going to be a difficult few weeks. For the nation, this points to early June for some normalization, earlier in some places. The total deaths are consistent with what Fauci recently quoted, which seemed low.

http://www.healthdata.org/covid/updates
[Reply]
Pushead2 03:43 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:

As of now, in a rent controlled building, there's no eviction for 90 days.

https://ny.curbed.com/2020/3/26/2119...orium-covid-19
[Reply]
2112 03:48 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I've ridden the subways there. If we're talking about Manhattan, it's not that huge. You could cut the number of stops by 90 percent and just convert them to express trains, and possibly cut 75 percent of riders. It's not that far. Manhattan is only about 6 or 7 miles long if you're going from one end to the other, which means that most people probably aren't going that far. People can walk three miles.
A majority of the people working in Manhattan usually live in the outer boroughs because it’s so expensive to live in Manhattan. The D train for example goes from Coney Island (Brooklyn) , through Manhattan and all the way past Yankee stadium in the Bronx.

I agree with the express idea, but the mayor always appears to be 3 weeks behind in his thinking.
[Reply]
Pushead2 03:51 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I mentioned this to the misses that all trains in the city should go the express route, but that won't work for Queens, BK & BX as they're too spread out.

I know of a few trains that have stopped service on the weekdays and overall subway & bus service have been cut 25%. LIRR I think was reduced 35%-40%.

It's tough right now. I'm fortunate enough to be working from home, but I also live in northeast Queens, so I commute everywhere by car.

We're not taking any chances and making sure we're extra careful.
[Reply]
Mecca 06:05 AM 03-31-2020

[Reply]
Swanman 06:17 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I’m sure there are a lot of deaths at the first of this outbreak that occurred because of the virus and the person was never tested for the coronavirus.
Last year I think there were 50k deaths from pneumonia. I would wager that figure will be many multiples of that in 2020 due to untested individuals passing away.
[Reply]
Swanman 06:19 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
At the current growth rate (16%) the number of cases would still double every five days. Once that curve reaches near zero, if we have adequate testing to quickly identify new cases, and if we can do comprehensive contact tracking, and if we had a social safety net to isolate the infected and quarantine the exposed, we could open most things up. This is where South Korea is. We could have gatherings up to 100 or so, but still no sports, concerts or other mass gatherings. Deviating from any of this, we will be right back where we are now.

The above situation would change with some combination of the following:
a) vaccine
b) evidence of significant herd immunity with limited mutations
c) a therapeutic that greatly reduced viral load
On the Johns Hopkins site, the Italy graph is finally starting to flatten a bit, which is encouraging. The US slope is still freaking scary though and I think there will be some huge blowups in states that haven't yet instituted stay at home orders (mainly Florida).
[Reply]
notorious 06:33 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Kansas has handled this about as poorly as any state around here. Iowa had locked down restaurants AT LEAST a week prior to KS.
Riiiiiight
[Reply]
Mecca 06:39 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Who uses a playground right now? I mean, WTF?
People who think being at home is the worst punishment ever.
[Reply]
RedRaider56 06:42 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by Sure-Oz:
My buddy was running in nkc and saw parents letting kids play on the equipment. It wasn't sealed off. I really don't understand why people aren't getting how serious this is. Locally I've seen equipment sealed off with police tape.
Drove through a large subdivision, not far from my house the other day, and there must have been 20 kids playing basketball together. I'm thinking WTF? Do parents not have any idea of what shelter in place means or do they think their kids are immune to catching it
[Reply]
wazu 06:56 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by RedRaider56:
Drove through a large subdivision, not far from my house the other day, and there must have been 20 kids playing basketball together. I'm thinking WTF? Do parents not have any idea of what shelter in place means or do they think their kids are immune to catching it
Eh, good for them.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 06:56 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis:
Not true. Kansas was one of most pro-active states regarding Covid-19. It is part of the reason why we've (knock on wood) have been able to flatten the curve as much as we have. Our governor got a lot of flack for the steps she took. By and large, the state (so far) has been spared the worst of it. Most of the cases in KS (roughly 2/3) are in JoCo/Wyandotte/Leavenworth which borders MO (which totally botched their response). The past three days KS has held steady on the number of new cases. Kansas has done, by and large, a pretty outstanding job so far.
If I'm remembering correctly, KS was the first or one of the first states to shut down schools.
[Reply]
Page 933 of 3903
« First < 433833883923929930931932933 934935936937943983103314331933 > Last »
Up