ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 9
< 123 4567 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>I owe the IRS $4,000
siberian khatru 06:15 PM 02-14-2020
So I get home and the wife says she’s got bad news: A letter from the IRS saying we owe $4,000 on our 2018 taxes.

Apparently, she sent all the right paperwork to our tax preparer, but when the preparer returned the completed forms she forgot to include one. My wife failed to check that and signed the return (and got me to sign off, trusting her) and sent it off.

So here we are. My wife is afraid I’m going to divorce her. (I’m not.)

Anyone have an experience like this? Do we have any recourse? That 4 Grand could buy a lot of Super Bowl swag.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 07:01 PM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I bet you could at least get them to forgive the interest.
That’s a very small part of it. $100 or something.
[Reply]
chinaski 07:02 PM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
Thanks. We’ve got till March 11 to get this sorted out. Otherwise I’m gonna have to Mr. Blonde you guys.
This too shall pass. God I hate taxes, I feel for you man. Serious.
[Reply]
MagicHef 07:07 PM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by rydogg58:
How is that even possible? Was the tax law change in effect 5 years ago when you sold and they are just now getting to your case to fuck you in the ass 5 years later?
I don’t remember exactly, but it must have been. We weren’t living in CO when we sold the house or filed taxes, and the house sale was the only income we were reporting. I think they changed the date of purchase needed to claim a certain exemption, and we originally did qualify but after the change were outside the window by like 6 weeks.
[Reply]
ping2000 07:16 PM 02-14-2020
Tell the IRS guy you will let him put it in your wife's ass to make it go away. If he is gay you might have to take one for the team.
[Reply]
Sorry 07:17 PM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by chinaski:
4k is NOTHING compared to what we have had to pay before. 37K was the most we have ever owed. That one HURT. Biggest return ever was 28k.
Give me money, rich man.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:18 PM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I bet you could at least get them to forgive the interest.
The IRS will never, ever, ever rescind interest.

If you, as a taxpayer, can show hardship (i.e. surgery, cancer, etc.) for filing late or making a mistake, they'll likely rescind the penalty.

Otherwise, pay as soon as possible in order to avoid further interest and penalties.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 07:19 PM 02-14-2020
Yes, about 10 years ago had a 3600 tab for not paying capital gains on a stock sale. I called the lady in Philly and apologized, since it was my fault. She said “I never hear that so I’ll close your case. Have a nice day”.
[Reply]
Mr. Wizard 07:20 PM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by Spott:
They will give you longer than what it says on the form. You will have to call them and wait on hold for a long time to speak with someone. You should be able to do some sort of amended return, but you will need to call them and let them know. After you do the amended return, it will probably them a little while to stop sending you the notices. The IRS is one big clusterfuck. They are seriously understaffed and none of the departments communicate with each other. We paid a CPA to do the taxes and he was the ones that eventually corrected the return. It will be a pain in the ass dealing with these bastards, but it sounds like you shouldn’t owe any money.
This is SPOTT on, they don't care. Here is a cautionary tale. We found out we owed $10,000.00 for a penalty on an IRA loan I took out to put a down payment on building our house. Long story short, you have the length of your house loan to pay it back without penalty but the company doesn't have to set up a payment plan with you. It's on you. Long story short we owe and they don't care.

1) DO NOT hire one of the tv companies offering to bail you out. They want $2000.00 up front for you to fill out endless paperwork so they can submit it to the Internal Renal Service so
a) That can stop IRS calls, letters etc...
b) You can be set up on payment plans over a few years. (we are paying 200.00 a month.

2) NOW, if your tax preparer is not some discount deal they have the same number and can make the IRS call for you asking for a stoppage on your case and a new file on that year.
3) If they cant do that go to an reputable preparer that can immediately make that call and file your new file on that year. Just call around and ask if they can do those two things.
4) Calm down, it's scary but will linger on for years. It's not the end of the world and life goes on.

Good luck from a family that's been there done that.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 07:21 PM 02-14-2020
Lock him up.
[Reply]
Spott 07:32 PM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard:
This is SPOTT on, they don't care. Here is a cautionary tale. We found out we owed $10,000.00 for a penalty on an IRA loan I took out to put a down payment on building our house. Long story short, you have the length of your house loan to pay it back without penalty but the company doesn't have to set up a payment plan with you. It's on you. Long story short we owe and they don't care.

1) DO NOT hire one of the tv companies offering to bail you out. They want $2000.00 up front for you to fill out endless paperwork so they can submit it to the Internal Renal Service so
a) That can stop IRS calls, letters etc...
b) You can be set up on payment plans over a few years. (we are paying 200.00 a month.

2) NOW, if your tax preparer is not some discount deal they have the same number and can make the IRS call for you asking for a stoppage on your case and a new file on that year.
3) If they cant do that go to an reputable preparer that can immediately make that call and file your new file on that year. Just call around and ask if they can do those two things.
4) Calm down, it's scary but will linger on for years. It's not the end of the world and life goes on.

Good luck from a family that's been there done that.
It was a pain in the butt when we did it. It took a lot of phone calls, waiting on hold for an hour to speak to someone and then being disconnected, speaking with multiple departments, etc. We only paid a small sum of interest to show that we were making payments, and we eventually got that back when filed the amended return. The CPA we used was basically worthless and we ended up doing all the leg work, even though it was completely his fuckup that caused the whole thing.
[Reply]
Miles 07:46 PM 02-14-2020
I’d check with the tax preparer first to see if they will help and also confirm it’s taxes you legitimately owe. If it’s something you do owe and the interest and penalties are not much, probably not worth the headache to try something other than just pay and move on. Maybe the prepared will reimburse you for interest and penalties because of their error.
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 07:51 PM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by chinaski:
4k is NOTHING compared to what we have had to pay before. 37K was the most we have ever owed. That one HURT. Biggest return ever was 28k.
wow! A 1%'er on chiesplanet! Champagne wishes and caviar dreams!
[Reply]
Hoover 07:53 PM 02-14-2020
I’d love to just have to pay 4K in taxes.....
[Reply]
BryanBusby 08:12 PM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I'd contact one of those tax relief companies (I hear a lot of commercials for a place called Optima, but have no experience with them), or a tax lawyer, or maybe both. Either should at least give you a free consultation to discuss options.

And blowjobs on demand from the wife until further notice.

Well, you can try that last one..... :-)
On the right path here, but maybe suggest she give a blow job to the IRS to get you out of the debt OP.
[Reply]
chinaski 08:17 PM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by SuperBowl4:
wow! A 1%'er on chiesplanet! Champagne wishes and caviar dreams!
You have no idea how poor I actually am. Yes, I have investments and rental properties, and our assets on paper are fairly healthy, but very little of it is liquid.

Regardless, I won't be eating cat food when I retire.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 9
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up