ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Which spelling do you prefer?
Missouri is on Arkansas' northern border. 32 76.19%
Missouri is on Arkansas's northern border. 6 14.29%
Mis'ss'souri is's on Arkans'sas's northern border. 1 2.38%
The letter S doesn't exist. Check out "purfuit of happiness" in the Declaration of Indendence.. 1 2.38%
I didn't make it that far in my schoolin'. 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Nzoner's Game Room>Arkansas' or Arkansas's
Rain Man 08:55 PM 03-27-2024
Okay, I want to test this in a poll. Look in the fallen bridge thread for background.

Which is your preferred grammar? See the poll.
[Reply]
big nasty kcnut 01:12 AM 03-28-2024
It ark Kansa saw.
[Reply]
scho63 05:03 AM 03-28-2024
Whitetrashes'
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 05:42 AM 03-28-2024
If you have not been, a visit to Bentonville will be an eye opener. The amount of economic activity and the art scene there is amazing. Driven by Walton money for sure but quite amazing to see.
[Reply]
2bikemike 06:07 AM 03-28-2024
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
If you have not been, a visit to Bentonville will be an eye opener. The amount of economic activity and the art scene there is amazing. Driven by Walton money for sure but quite amazing to see.
And the bicycling! The area is growing like a wild fire. A lot of changes happening. Unfortunately the negatives will probably outweigh the positives.
[Reply]
JimNasium 06:10 AM 03-28-2024
Pork chops and Arkansas’s
[Reply]
DaFace 09:05 AM 03-28-2024
Copying these from the other thread...

Originally Posted by loochy:
Arkansas' or Arkansas's are both correct.

The pronunciation would be ARK AN SAWS or ARK AN SAW ZIS
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I think this is why I like having no second s at the end. It's easier to pronounce Arkan-saws than to add an extra syllable.
As I think about this more fully, the confusion definitely stems from the silent S at the end of Arkansas (ARK AN SAW). Though I'm in the obvious minority based on the poll, the most accurate option by the "rules" would be "Arkansas's" (with a caveat that the English language is riddled with broken rules), but since the S is silent, the possessive would be pronounced ARK AN SAWS even though it's spelled that way. So either way, that's the correct pronunciation, and it's just a matter of how it's written out.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up