ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 92 of 207
« First < 42828889909192 93949596102142192 > Last »
The Lounge>Science is Cool....
Fish 09:43 PM 05-21-2012
This is a repository for all cool scientific discussion and fascination. Scientific facts, theories, and overall cool scientific stuff that you'd like to share with others. Stuff that makes you smile and wonder at the amazing shit going on around us, that most people don't notice.

Post pictures, vidoes, stories, or links. Ask questions. Share science.

This is in support of the Penny 4 NASA project. If you enjoy anything you learned from this thread, consider making a donation and signing the petition.

http://www.penny4nasa.org/

Why should I care?:


[Reply]
aturnis 03:30 PM 02-16-2014
http://www.hivplusmag.com/research/2...top-spread-hiv

Marijuana May Stop the Spread of HIV
Researchers may just give you a reason to light up soon.
BY DIANE ANDERSON-MINSHALL

People with HIV (and other conditions) have used prescription marijuana to treat the side effects of medication, but a new study published in the journal AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, recently showed that daily doses of may even help combat the disease. According to Leaf Science, the study by Louisiana State University researchers showed that THC (a main component of marijuana) given to monkeys over a 17-month period decreased damage to immune tissue of the gut — an important site of HIV infection — by acting at the gene level.
“It adds to the picture and it builds a little bit more information around the potential mechanisms that might be playing a role in the modulation of the infection,” said the lead author of the study, Dr. Patricia Molina.
Leaf Science reports that while HIV normally spreads by infecting and ultimately killing immune cells, researchers "observed higher levels of healthy immune cells in animals that received THC – something they noticed in a previous study as well."
In 2011, Molina and her team discovered that HIV-positive monkeys monkeys treated with THC had lower levels of viral infection, higher numbers of immune cells, better survival rates, and less weight loss.
The results of the study, which was funded by the National Institutes of Health and the National Institute on Drug Abuse, were unexpected.
“When we started the study, we thought it was going to increase viral load, we thought it was going to decrease lymphocyte counts much more dramatically, and we did not see that," she told Leaf. "If anything, it looks like there might be some beneficial immunomodulation, particularly at the early stages of infection.”
The next stop, she says, will be to try to understand why marijuana might help stop the spread of HIV so that treatments can be developed that are more specific to how THC works.
[Reply]
BigMeatballDave 03:36 PM 02-16-2014
Originally Posted by aturnis:
http://www.hivplusmag.com/research/2...top-spread-hiv

Marijuana May Stop the Spread of HIV
Researchers may just give you a reason to light up soon.
BY DIANE ANDERSON-MINSHALL

People with HIV (and other conditions) have used prescription marijuana to treat the side effects of medication, but a new study published in the journal AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, recently showed that daily doses of may even help combat the disease. According to Leaf Science, the study by Louisiana State University researchers showed that THC (a main component of marijuana) given to monkeys over a 17-month period decreased damage to immune tissue of the gut — an important site of HIV infection — by acting at the gene level.
“It adds to the picture and it builds a little bit more information around the potential mechanisms that might be playing a role in the modulation of the infection,” said the lead author of the study, Dr. Patricia Molina.
Leaf Science reports that while HIV normally spreads by infecting and ultimately killing immune cells, researchers "observed higher levels of healthy immune cells in animals that received THC – something they noticed in a previous study as well."
In 2011, Molina and her team discovered that HIV-positive monkeys monkeys treated with THC had lower levels of viral infection, higher numbers of immune cells, better survival rates, and less weight loss.
The results of the study, which was funded by the National Institutes of Health and the National Institute on Drug Abuse, were unexpected.
“When we started the study, we thought it was going to increase viral load, we thought it was going to decrease lymphocyte counts much more dramatically, and we did not see that," she told Leaf. "If anything, it looks like there might be some beneficial immunomodulation, particularly at the early stages of infection.”
The next stop, she says, will be to try to understand why marijuana might help stop the spread of HIV so that treatments can be developed that are more specific to how THC works.
Oh shit. Don't let Donger see this...
[Reply]
ThaVirus 03:39 PM 02-16-2014
So what is it about the barycenter that makes it the focal point from which our solar system revolves?
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:45 PM 02-16-2014
Cant think of a better place to put this, its scientific in a MacGyverish kinda way, already have my can, just need a hole punch and I'll be using this little puppy this summer for sure...


[Reply]
Donger 03:45 PM 02-16-2014
Originally Posted by aturnis:
http://www.hivplusmag.com/research/2...top-spread-hiv

Marijuana May Stop the Spread of HIV
Researchers may just give you a reason to light up soon.
BY DIANE ANDERSON-MINSHALL

People with HIV (and other conditions) have used prescription marijuana to treat the side effects of medication, but a new study published in the journal AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, recently showed that daily doses of may even help combat the disease. According to Leaf Science, the study by Louisiana State University researchers showed that THC (a main component of marijuana) given to monkeys over a 17-month period decreased damage to immune tissue of the gut — an important site of HIV infection — by acting at the gene level.
“It adds to the picture and it builds a little bit more information around the potential mechanisms that might be playing a role in the modulation of the infection,” said the lead author of the study, Dr. Patricia Molina.
Leaf Science reports that while HIV normally spreads by infecting and ultimately killing immune cells, researchers "observed higher levels of healthy immune cells in animals that received THC – something they noticed in a previous study as well."
In 2011, Molina and her team discovered that HIV-positive monkeys monkeys treated with THC had lower levels of viral infection, higher numbers of immune cells, better survival rates, and less weight loss.
The results of the study, which was funded by the National Institutes of Health and the National Institute on Drug Abuse, were unexpected.
“When we started the study, we thought it was going to increase viral load, we thought it was going to decrease lymphocyte counts much more dramatically, and we did not see that," she told Leaf. "If anything, it looks like there might be some beneficial immunomodulation, particularly at the early stages of infection.”
The next stop, she says, will be to try to understand why marijuana might help stop the spread of HIV so that treatments can be developed that are more specific to how THC works.
You sourced "Leaf Science" in the Science is Cool thread?

Seems legit.
[Reply]
BigMeatballDave 04:44 PM 02-16-2014
Originally Posted by Donger:
You sourced "Leaf Science" in the hilariousnce is Cool thread?

Seems legit.
Your unwillingness to even begin to accept Marijuana as a medicine his hilarious.
[Reply]
Easy 6 02-16-2014, 04:54 PM
This message has been deleted by Easy 6.
Easy 6 04:56 PM 02-16-2014
Originally Posted by BCD:
Your unwillingness to even begin to accept Marijuana as a medicine his hilarious.
The Dongster is very conventional... booze good, pot bad... don't question the authoritahs.
[Reply]
Donger 05:44 PM 02-16-2014
Originally Posted by BCD:
Your unwillingness to even begin to accept Marijuana as a medicine his hilarious.
Well, I do accept that THC has some "medicinal value," so I don't see what is so funny.

Do I think that it cures cancer? No.

Do I think that it could "cure" AIDs? No. At least not until the findings of the above stoners are confirmed by a slightly less biased outfit.
[Reply]
Donger 05:45 PM 02-16-2014
Originally Posted by scott free:
The Dongster is very conventional... booze good, pot bad... don't question the authoritahs.
it's just another drug, and I didn't and don't see why another drug should be legalized.

Anyway, let's not hijack this high-quality thread with this stuff, okay?
[Reply]
Donger 06:21 PM 02-16-2014
I can't recall if it was on this thread or not, but anyway. They figured out the origin of that mysteriously appearing Mars rock:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/14/tech/i...-mystery-rock/
[Reply]
Fish 06:32 PM 02-16-2014
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
So what is it about the barycenter that makes it the focal point from which our solar system revolves?
Well that's the point where the gravitational forces even out with relation to the masses. Planets don't have circular orbits, they're elliptical, and because of that a planet with decent mass compared to it's star can tug the star like the gif image above. The link in that post explains it better than I'm able.

The fact that there is a barrycenter, is how we detect planets in other far away galaxies. We look for that little wobble in the parent star, indicating that a planet is tugging at it.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:09 PM 02-16-2014
Originally Posted by Donger:
Which just happens to be our Sun...
This is a science thread. I thought we are a little more precise than what we are when we talk about in here. I prefaced my comments with I know its quibbling.

I think most people were not even aware a Barrycenter exists.
[Reply]
BigMeatballDave 08:14 PM 02-16-2014
Originally Posted by Donger:
it's just another drug, and I didn't and don't see why another drug should be legalized.

Anyway, let's not hijack this high-quality thread with this stuff, okay?
It is natural and requires no processing.

So no, it is not just another drug.

Buy, hey. Let's let Big Pharm charge exorbitant prices for chemicals that cause all kinds of side affects.
[Reply]
BigMeatballDave 08:16 PM 02-16-2014
Originally Posted by Donger:
Well, I do accept that THC has some "medicinal value," so I don't see what is so funny.

Do I think that it cures cancer? No.

Do I think that it could "cure" AIDs? No. At least not until the findings of the above stoners are confirmed by a slightly less biased outfit.
You watch Reefer Madness everyday, don't you? :-)
[Reply]
aturnis 06:34 PM 02-17-2014
Originally Posted by Donger:
Well, I do accept that THC has some "medicinal value," so I don't see what is so funny.

Do I think that it cures cancer? No.

Do I think that it could "cure" AIDs? No. At least not until the findings of the above stoners are confirmed by a slightly less biased outfit.
Let me know when someone claims it cures those things.
[Reply]
Page 92 of 207
« First < 42828889909192 93949596102142192 > Last »
Up