ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3160 of 3903
« First < 2160266030603110315031563157315831593160 31613162316331643170321032603660 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:23 PM 11-19-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
To some extent, though, that process may be self-governing. If I'm the first person to get the vaccine, it may cut my odds of getting the virus by 90+ percent, but that's still a 10 percent chance. And those who get the vaccine early will likely be the vulnerable ones or the ones with a lot of contact. I think the effect of the vaccine won't be fully felt until you get enough people vaccinated to stunt the spread.
when they first started talking about the vaccine they were hoping for a 70% effective vaccine. So we could have had a situation where we all have a 30% chance of getting the Covid even after being vaccinated.

Would have been a huge difference from the current 5% on my post vaccination activities.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:28 PM 11-19-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
when they first started talking about the vaccine they were hoping for a 70% effective vaccine. So we could have had a situation where we all have a 30% chance of getting the Covid even after being vaccinated.

Would have been a huge difference from the current 5% on my post vaccination activities.
And I think that it'll be 5 percent for the first vaccinated person, but the total risk will go down as more and more people get vaccinated. Vaccinations will make it harder for the virus to spread, so we'll be less likely to encounter the virus in the first place to face those 5 percent odds. If everyone gets vaccinated, it seems like we'll more or less stop the virus completely.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:32 PM 11-19-2020
I recognize that it'll actually be a gradual return to normal as people get vaccinated, but as a hypothetical question, tell me about your first week after the Great Unmasking. If we got everyone vaccinated in one day and all of a sudden the sun comes out and birds start singing and amusement parks and music concerts ramp back up, what will your first week be like?

For me, I'll schedule a massage on Day One. Man, my back and shoulders are tight. Then I'll go to the mall for a day to do my office work while I eat Panda Express orange chicken and people watch all of the shoppers. Then I'll start planning a trip somewhere and will pull my jeans out of the closet to start going back to the office every day.
[Reply]
TLO 08:09 AM 11-20-2020
Pfizer officially filed for EUA today. There's some interesting info at the link.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...-authorization
[Reply]
TLO 08:13 AM 11-20-2020
In other, not so great news.

WHO recommends against the use of remdesivir in COVID-19 patients

WHO has issued a conditional recommendation against the use of remdesivir in hospitalized patients, regardless of disease severity, as there is currently no evidence that remdesivir improves survival and other outcomes in these patients.

This recommendation, released on 20 November, is part of a living guideline on clinical care for COVID-19. It was developed by an international guideline development group, which includes 28 clinical care experts, 4 patient-partners and one ethicist.

The guidelines were developed in collaboration with the non-profit Magic Evidence Ecosystem Foundation (MAGIC), which provided methodologic support. The guidelines are an innovation, matching scientific standards with the speed required to respond to an ongoing pandemic.

Work on this began on 15 October when the WHO Solidarity Trial published its interim results. Data reviewed by the panel included results from this trial, as well as 3 other randomized controlled trials. In all, data from over 7000 patients across the 4 trials were considered.

The evidence suggested no important effect on mortality, need for mechanical ventilation, time to clinical improvement, and other patient-important outcomes.

The guideline development group recognized that more research is needed, especially to provide higher certainty of evidence for specific groups of patients. They supported continued enrollment in trials evaluating remdesivir.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:51 AM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I recognize that it'll actually be a gradual return to normal as people get vaccinated, but as a hypothetical question, tell me about your first week after the Great Unmasking. If we got everyone vaccinated in one day and all of a sudden the sun comes out and birds start singing and amusement parks and music concerts ramp back up, what will your first week be like?

For me, I'll schedule a massage on Day One. Man, my back and shoulders are tight. Then I'll go to the mall for a day to do my office work while I eat Panda Express orange chicken and people watch all of the shoppers. Then I'll start planning a trip somewhere and will pull my jeans out of the closet to start going back to the office every day.

[Reply]
petegz28 08:52 AM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:

WHO has issued a conditional recommendation against the use of remdesivir in hospitalized patients, regardless of disease severity, as there is currently no evidence that remdesivir improves survival and other outcomes in these patients.

This recommendation, released on 20 November, is part of a living guideline on clinical care for COVID-19. It was developed by an international guideline development group, which includes 28 clinical care experts, 4 patient-partners and one ethicist.

The guidelines were developed in collaboration with the non-profit Magic Evidence Ecosystem Foundation (MAGIC), which provided methodologic support. The guidelines are an innovation, matching scientific standards with the speed required to respond to an ongoing pandemic.

Work on this began on 15 October when the WHO Solidarity Trial published its interim results. Data reviewed by the panel included results from this trial, as well as 3 other randomized controlled trials. In all, data from over 7000 patients across the 4 trials were considered.

The evidence suggested no important effect on mortality, need for mechanical ventilation, time to clinical improvement, and other patient-important outcomes.

The guideline development group recognized that more research is needed, especially to provide higher certainty of evidence for specific groups of patients. They supported continued enrollment in trials evaluating remdesivir.
That's funny because I have heard from the top of our leadership all the way down to the doctors that they are fairly happy with remdesivir.
[Reply]
dlphg9 08:54 AM 11-20-2020

I'd like to see a breakdown of the studies.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 09:03 AM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by bigdaddychieffan:
I sure see a lot of empathy for people dealing with the effects of this virus.����
Probably as much as those showing empathy for the stagnant education of our children, increases in child and domestic violence, mental health and suicides, and the poverty level across the globe at the highest levels in years due to the effects of shutdowns and this virus...
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 09:19 AM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
Goodness. That is just brutal. $36K didn't even make sense in 2001.
Please... I was on my local school board for 10 years and know the system.
Someone just graduating college, with most positions on 180 day contracts with every Holiday and break off... make 36k. I get it, be outraged, but the $36k which is similar to many states in the Midwest is Step 1 on a salary scale. Each additional year they get a step increase in addition to an association negotiated raise on those steps. Also, many have the Cadillac of healthcare plans and their retirement benefits are unbelievable. These benefits in costs equal about 35-50% of their pay.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 09:25 AM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
Please... I was on my local school board for 10 years and know the system.
Someone just graduating college, with most positions on 180 day contracts with every Holiday and break off... make 36k. I get it, be outraged, but the $36k which is similar to many states in the Midwest is Step 1 on a salary scale. Each additional year they get a step increase in addition to an association negotiated raise on those steps. Also, many have the Cadillac of healthcare plans and their retirement benefits are unbelievable. These benefits in costs equal about 35-50% of their pay.
There are also a lot of stipends to be had. 5k for a HC and 3K for an asst coach around here. I have no clue how that would end up breaking down hourly.
[Reply]
dlphg9 09:43 AM 11-20-2020
It's blowing my mind how some of you are going "herp fucking derp masks don't work cuz I see everyone wearing one", but come to podunk rural Missouri and you barely see anyone with a mask. The local God damn lumber store is run by a family and one of the owners has covid, but is still there working.

It's the rural areas that are getting hit hard, because no one around here believes that it's real. God damn sick of fucking dimwits acting like they know anything when they barely passed high school. I'm sick of this fucking hospital/clinic not wearing masks. Stupid fucking idiots with little to no education running things there.
[Reply]
loochy 09:48 AM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
It's blowing my mind how some of you are going "herp fucking derp masks don't work cuz I see everyone wearing one", but come to podunk rural Missouri and you barely see anyone with a mask. The local God damn lumber store is run by a family and one of the owners has covid, but is still there working.

It's the rural areas that are getting hit hard, because no one around here believes that it's real. God damn sick of fucking dimwits acting like they know anything when they barely passed high school. I'm sick of this fucking hospital/clinic not wearing masks. Stupid fucking idiots with little to no education running things there.
It's nice to be so superior to everyonelse, eh?
[Reply]
Bob Dole 09:56 AM 11-20-2020

I think I’ve mentioned it before, but fuck the WHO.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:58 AM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
It's nice to be so superior to everyonelse, eh?
Outside of the tone, which aspects of his post do you disagree with?

[Reply]
Page 3160 of 3903
« First < 2160266030603110315031563157315831593160 31613162316331643170321032603660 > Last »
Up