ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Nzoner's Game Room>Eleven Things About Today's Game: Week 2, KC 23 - Bolts 20 in OT
gblowfish 07:54 PM 09-20-2020
Eleven Things About Today’s Game: Week 2, KC 23 - Bolts 20

11. Piece of cake. Had it all the way. Mahomes has never lost in September as a starter. He's now 9-0.

10. We’re having eleven things this week since we had to go into OT to pull this out of the fire. I wasn’t feeling good today and took a little nap during the Donks game. Knew Denver was going to lose when Lock got knocked out. Woke up right when Buttkicker opened the game. The first quarter was arguably the worst quarter the Chiefs have played under Andy Reid. Bolts trot out a pimply faced teenager named Herbie to face the World Champions in the opening of the swanky la-de-dah stadium they borrow from the Rams eight times a year. Apparently Tyrod -(seriously, who names their child after a stabilizer bar in a 1993 T-Bird?) - Tyrod pulls a Fred Sanford during warmups and checks out. So Herbie Wally Pipps him by throwing a TD and rushing for a TD. First time that’s been done in a rookie QB debut since 1954. We made him look good, but ultimately, he was just the new Phyllis.

9. Chiefs didn’t really start playing Chiefs football until the fourth quarter. In the first quarter, Bolts had the ball almost the entire quarter, they had the ball 10 minutes more than KC. Spags came up with a big stop. Eckeler ran for 93 and caught 55. Kelley ran for 64 and caught for 49. Bolts ran the ball 44 total times and threw for over 300 yards. Still by the time the game was over, Bolts just had 65 more yards of offense than KC. Both teams were less than 50% on third down conversions. This game reminded me a lot of the Detroit game last year, where things just didn’t work for a long time, but Mahomes and the offense hung in there. That’s the difference between being a division champ and a last place team.

8. There was a lot of bad in this one. We all know that. On defense, the opponent game plan was three simple steps: a) Run the ball against the Chiefs line. Chris Jones does not play the run. At all. b) Throw to the running backs and tight end and beat the Chiefs linebackers. They did that. All day long. c) Keep Mahomes off the field. Bolts did that until the fourth quarter. He had just enough time to tie it up in OT. Tackling today was abysmal. In my notes, I have bad whiffs by Thornhill, Jones, Neiman and Dirty Dan. Eckeler was especially bouncing off guys and going for more than half of his rushing yards after first contact. Defense came up in the second half when they had to, and gave Mahomes a chance. And we should have won before OT if not for the hold happy refs.

7. The crew chief today was a guy named Carl Chaffers. If that name sounds familiar, he’s the same guy who made the playoff crushing mystery holding call against Fisher in the Steelers playoff game at Arrowhead, where James Harrison won an Oscar to negate a TD at game end. Cheffers crew called KC for 11 penalties and 90 yards, including two holding calls in the last two minutes to force KC to kick a game tying field goal. They totally whiffed on a fourth quarter helmet to helmet hit on Sammy Watkins that put him in concussion protocol. Shameful that nobody got tossed for that hit. Looked to me like the NFL wanted the Bolts to win their home opener to keep the LA fan base interested. Truth is, the Bolts have NO LA fan base. They’re all Rams fans. Remember this guy Chaffers. He’s bad news.

6. For most of the game, it looked like Kelce was the only guy who showed up in the passing offense. He caught nine balls for 90 yards and our first TD. He also had several clutch catches to move the chains. Tyreek didn’t really show up until the fourth quarter. His 54 yard tumbling catch capped a 95 yard drive. Hartman made a tough catch in traffic to get the deuce and tie the game up. Glad Tyreek didn’t get flagged for taking his helmet off on the field. Hartman played pretty well, and hopefully Sammy won’t miss a lot of time in concussion protocol.

5. Patrick had his worst first half maybe ever. At the half he was 8 for 19 for 60 yards and one TD to Kelce. Patrick is the 2020 version of Horse Face, except he actually wins Super Bowls. When I say that, I meant that when things got tough in the second half, Pat took off running to get several big conversions. He ended up as KC’s leading rusher with 54 yards. When you defend his passes, he can take off and burn you. He only took one bad sack from Bosa, but got smacked around a lot in the first half. Down the stretch he was money, as usual. Glad he survived our O-Line's performance.

4. Big day for injuries around the NFL. For us, Williams had an ankle, Hamilton a groin, Watkins was seeing tweety birds. Frank Clark was apparently making pavement asterisks back in the locker room. Looked like Tyreek tweaked an ankle in the fourth quarter, and both linebackers Hitchens and Wilson got dinged on back to back plays. At least we didn’t lose our starting QB, starting running back or star tight end like some other teams around the league. I think the lack of pre-season conditioning is coming home to roost with all these injuries.

3. When Buttkicker had his extra point blocked, I thought, “Oh shit, he’s gonna have a rough day.” But he had the kind of day that puts you in the ring of honor. He tied Nick Lowrey’s all time distance record of 58 yards not once, but twice, including the game winner in OT. “Well, slap my ball boy!” Needless to say, game ball to the Buttkicker. He had ice in his veins and thunder in his right leg. Well done.

2. Andy did a pretty good job adjusting in the second half, and overcoming all those penalties down the stretch was big. Bolts played a good game, especially throwing a shave tail rookie into the frying pan at the eleventh hour. The kid made a stupid Phyllis like mistake, puking up a pick at the goal line instead of running for a sure first down and sustaining a drive. It was just what the Chiefs Sneeded at the time.

1. At the time of this writing, Buffalo won and looks very good on offense; Pittsburgh bitch slapped the Donks and Baltimore totally embarrassed Houston. So those teams seem to be our main competition thus far. Next up is the Ravens in their place for Monday Night Football. Both teams will come into the game undefeated. Chiefs definitely need to defend the run better, and stop Jackson from running wild. It’ll be the first real test and a marquee game in this season. But it’s a September game, and Pat doesn't lose in September. Also it’ll be nice to have an extra day to recover, since the team will have to go coast to coast for this one. This one belongs to the Buttkicker. Kicking Lives Matter!
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:36 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Yep. Efficiency in scoring and stops
Yeah, but that doesn't mean that TOP is irrelevant either. Hanging onto the ball for long drives can and does make things harder on the opposing team, on both sides of the ball. We've seen that too many times in NFL history to ignore that.
[Reply]
Valiant 05:52 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
Eleven Things About Today’s Game: Week 2, KC 23 - Bolts 20

11. Piece of cake. Had it all the way. Mahomes has never lost in September as a starter. He's now 9-0.

10. We’re having eleven things this week since we had to go into OT to pull this out of the fire. I wasn’t feeling good today and took a little nap during the Donks game. Knew Denver was going to lose when Lock got knocked out. Woke up right when Buttkicker opened the game. The first quarter was arguably the worst quarter the Chiefs have played under Andy Reid. Bolts trot out a pimply faced teenager named Herbie to face the World Champions in the opening of the swanky la-de-dah stadium they borrow from the Rams eight times a year. Apparently Tyrod -(seriously, who names their child after a stabilizer bar in a 1993 T-Bird?) - Tyrod pulls a Fred Sanford during warmups and checks out. So Herbie Wally Pipps him by throwing a TD and rushing for a TD. First time that’s been done in a rookie QB debut since 1954. We made him look good, but ultimately, he was just the new Phyllis.

9. Chiefs didn’t really start playing Chiefs football until the fourth quarter. In the first quarter, Bolts had the ball almost the entire quarter, they had the ball 10 minutes more than KC. Spags came up with a big stop. Eckeler ran for 93 and caught 55. Kelley ran for 64 and caught for 49. Bolts ran the ball 44 total times and threw for over 300 yards. Still by the time the game was over, Bolts just had 65 more yards of offense than KC. Both teams were less than 50% on third down conversions. This game reminded me a lot of the Detroit game last year, where things just didn’t work for a long time, but Mahomes and the offense hung in there. That’s the difference between being a division champ and a last place team.

8. There was a lot of bad in this one. We all know that. On defense, the opponent game plan was three simple steps: a) Run the ball against the Chiefs line. Chris Jones does not play the run. At all. b) Throw to the running backs and tight end and beat the Chiefs linebackers. They did that. All day long. c) Keep Mahomes off the field. Bolts did that until the fourth quarter. He had just enough time to tie it up in OT. Tackling today was abysmal. In my notes, I have bad whiffs by Thornhill, Jones, Neiman and Dirty Dan. Eckeler was especially bouncing off guys and going for more than half of his rushing yards after first contact. Defense came up in the second half when they had to, and gave Mahomes a chance. And we should have won before OT if not for the hold happy refs.

7. The crew chief today was a guy named Carl Chaffers. If that name sounds familiar, he’s the same guy who made the playoff crushing mystery holding call against Fisher in the Steelers playoff game at Arrowhead, where James Harrison won an Oscar to negate a TD at game end. Cheffers crew called KC for 11 penalties and 90 yards, including two holding calls in the last two minutes to force KC to kick a game tying field goal. They totally whiffed on a fourth quarter helmet to helmet hit on Sammy Watkins that put him in concussion protocol. Shameful that nobody got tossed for that hit. Looked to me like the NFL wanted the Bolts to win their home opener to keep the LA fan base interested. Truth is, the Bolts have NO LA fan base. They’re all Rams fans. Remember this guy Chaffers. He’s bad news.

6. For most of the game, it looked like Kelce was the only guy who showed up in the passing offense. He caught nine balls for 90 yards and our first TD. He also had several clutch catches to move the chains. Tyreek didn’t really show up until the fourth quarter. His 54 yard tumbling catch capped a 95 yard drive. Hartman made a tough catch in traffic to get the deuce and tie the game up. Glad Tyreek didn’t get flagged for taking his helmet off on the field. Hartman played pretty well, and hopefully Sammy won’t miss a lot of time in concussion protocol.

5. Patrick had his worst first half maybe ever. At the half he was 8 for 19 for 60 yards and one TD to Kelce. Patrick is the 2020 version of Horse Face, except he actually wins Super Bowls. When I say that, I meant that when things got tough in the second half, Pat took off running to get several big conversions. He ended up as KC’s leading rusher with 54 yards. When you defend his passes, he can take off and burn you. He only took one bad sack from Bosa, but got smacked around a lot in the first half. Down the stretch he was money, as usual. Glad he survived our O-Line's performance.

4. Big day for injuries around the NFL. For us, Williams had an ankle, Hamilton a groin, Watkins was seeing tweety birds. Frank Clark was apparently making pavement asterisks back in the locker room. Looked like Tyreek tweaked an ankle in the fourth quarter, and both linebackers Hitchens and Wilson got dinged on back to back plays. At least we didn’t lose our starting QB, starting running back or star tight end like some other teams around the league. I think the lack of pre-season conditioning is coming home to roost with all these injuries.

3. When Buttkicker had his extra point blocked, I thought, “Oh shit, he’s gonna have a rough day.” But he had the kind of day that puts you in the ring of honor. He tied Nick Lowrey’s all time distance record of 58 yards not once, but twice, including the game winner in OT. “Well, slap my ball boy!” Needless to say, game ball to the Buttkicker. He had ice in his veins and thunder in his right leg. Well done.

2. Andy did a pretty good job adjusting in the second half, and overcoming all those penalties down the stretch was big. Bolts played a good game, especially throwing a shave tail rookie into the frying pan at the eleventh hour. The kid made a stupid Phyllis like mistake, puking up a pick at the goal line instead of running for a sure first down and sustaining a drive. It was just what the Chiefs Sneeded at the time.

1. At the time of this writing, Buffalo won and looks very good on offense; Pittsburgh bitch slapped the Donks and Baltimore totally embarrassed Houston. So those teams seem to be our main competition thus far. Next up is the Ravens in their place for Monday Night Football. Both teams will come into the game undefeated. Chiefs definitely need to defend the run better, and stop Jackson from running wild. It’ll be the first real test and a marquee game in this season. But it’s a September game, and Pat doesn't lose in September. Also it’ll be nice to have an extra day to recover, since the team will have to go coast to coast for this one. This one belongs to the Buttkicker. Kicking Lives Matter!
Clyde was also clutch with his catches.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:49 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Yeah, but that doesn't mean that TOP is irrelevant either. Hanging onto the ball for long drives can and does make things harder on the opposing team, on both sides of the ball. We've seen that too many times in NFL history to ignore that.
It can be an indicator of efficiency. That’s it. At best. It’s not even that highly correlated.
[Reply]
Megatron96 08:56 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
It can be an indicator of efficiency. That’s it. At best. It’s not even that highly correlated.
Yeah, it's not a good indicator of anything really other than a team being able to string plays together, as I said earlier.

But TOP can be a factor in how a team plays the game, which is a different thing. You can literally scare a team into changing their gameplan by holding onto the ball for 10 minutes at a time.

It's kind of like yards/carry average. Don't want to get real involved in this, but let's just use a quick hypothetical example.

Let's say you have a RB that runs 10 times in the first half, and the first 9 carries he averages 2 yards/carry, so he's got 18 yards or so. Then for his last carry of the half he breaks out and somehow runs for 82 yards. So at the half this guy has 100 yards rushing, which most people would say he averaged 10 yards/carry.

No DC would look at it like that. A guy that just ran for 10 yards/carry on your defense is scary as hell, and any DC would be twisting his brain into a pretzel trying to figure out how to stop that guy. He'd change his scheme, move guys around, sub in guys he normally might not even play, but do whatever it took to slow that guy down.

But any real DC would look at those stats and say to himself, "well we held him to half the NFL average for 9 carries and then he got a little lucky and broke off a big run. Tighten up whatever allowed him to get loose like that and we got this guy."

It's kind of the same with TOP. If you have a team that grinds down the field 10 minutes at a time but either doesn't score or only kicks FGs, that's not very scary. If they bulldoze your D for 10 minutes at a time and always score, and half the time it's TDs, now you have something to worry about.
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 10:16 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by Stewie:
Concise thoughts are your friend. Maybe a couple of lines per opinion. We appreciate your input, but walls of text... not so much.

Go Chiefs!

This is a weekly life/football column that A LOT OF FUCKING PEOPLE look forward to and enjoy. My personal favorite highlight on CP.

If you cant be assed to fucking read, thats fine, but keep your horseshit suggestions on writing style where they belong, which is planted firmly, and deeply right up your ass.

Great read George. Spewed soda through both nostrils at Taylor "Fred Sanfording" himself. It will be great when this virus shit is over and we can get pictures with 10 Things again.
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:16 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by Wallcrawler:
This is a weekly life/football column that A LOT OF ****ING PEOPLE look forward to and enjoy. My personal favorite highlight on CP.

If you cant be assed to ****ing read, thats fine, but keep your horseshit suggestions on writing style where they belong, which is planted firmly, and deeply right up your ass.

Great read George. Spewed soda through both nostrils at Taylor "Fred Sanfording" himself. It will be great when this virus shit is over and we can get pictures with 10 Things again.
Guy has over 12,000 posts. He has to know about "10 Things" so either he's jerking GB's chain, or he's a complete idiot.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 06:20 AM 09-23-2020
I hope we don't see the 10+1 option again; I hope we smack the crap out of the competition in the first 60 minutes.

Great write-up George, and the bonus point was actually awesome.

As always, thank you.
[Reply]
redfan 09:14 AM 09-23-2020
Stewie really Chaffered up this thread.
Thanks for posting, gbf!!
[Reply]
Lzen 10:20 AM 09-23-2020
Originally Posted by Pointer19:
First

I’m going to use this position to ask a question I’ve wondered about for ages..
Why does TOP matter? If you get the ball and score in ten seconds, is that any different from scoring in ten minutes?
In essence, you are correct. But if your team scores quickly then your defense may be on the field longer. And that could mean your defense is very tire and unable to play good defense at the end of the game. That being said, I'm all for scoring as quickly and as much as possible most of the time.
[Reply]
Lzen 10:26 AM 09-23-2020
Originally Posted by tmax63:
Hopefully "Clubber" Ward will be back next week. Thornhill doesn't look like he always wants to tackle to me, more of a Neon Dion type guy that does it when he has to.

I have been wondering about Thornhill. Could it be that he's just a little gunshy considering he had a serious injury last year? I think he will come around and play better.
[Reply]
Lzen 10:29 AM 09-23-2020
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
I don't think so. Buttkicker tied the all time Chiefs record by Nick Lowrey TWICE in the same game, including the money kick in OT. That's amazing stuff.

Also I was thinking about our rookie punter Tommy Townsend (get a haircut hippie...) He got the hold down for both of those kicks. So kudos to him giving Buttkicker a chance to succeed.

I was looking at punting stats between Townsend and Colquitt (who now kicks for the Steelers). So far, Towsend is averaging one yard more distance (44.6 yards per kick vs. 43.6 yards per kick) and both guys have downed the ball inside the 20 three times. Townsend's long is 55 yards, Colquitt was 59. He must have gotten the roll on one :-)
The only thing I have had any concern about on FGs and EPs is our new punter/holder. Never doubted Buttkicker for a second. :-)

That being said, our new punter is good.
[Reply]
Lzen 10:30 AM 09-23-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Chaffers' crew was a dumpster fire yesterday.

Not sure how you can be calling non-stop ticky-tack holding/false start penalties yet miss a blatant cheap shot to the head on Watkins.
Didn't the Chargers have several non-called false starts, as well?
[Reply]
gblowfish 10:37 AM 09-23-2020
Originally Posted by Lzen:
Two or three for sure. And the only crowd noise was piped in by their own stadium people.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:29 PM 09-23-2020
I have been wondering about Thornhill. Could it be that he's just a little gunshy considering he had a serious injury last year? I think he will come around and play better.
I just rewatched the Chargers game and I think that's it. He definitely didn't have a problem getting off the blocks, he was reading-reacting just fine, and he looked just as fast as ever, but he did seem a little gun-shy about lower body contact. He didn't seem to have much of an issue tackling though. A little off on his angles (I'm talking about a foot maybe a foot and a half so just barely), but that's probably more about lack of snaps and no preseason than his knee.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:31 PM 09-23-2020
There was also a non-called tripping penalty on Chris Jones IIRC. Could've been KPass. But Jones pancaked the Chargers OL who responded by reaching up and grabbing his leg and pulling on it. Without that, Jones (or whoever) definitely gets a sack.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Up