ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3676 of 3903
« First < 2676317635763626366636723673367436753676 3677367836793680368637263776 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 05:03 AM 08-22-2021
Originally Posted by :
The scientific establishment created a false narrative about whether coronavirus leaked from a Chinese lab, and dismissed critics as “conspiracy theorists”, experts have claimed.

In a new documentary for Channel 4 looking into whether the virus escaped from a laboratory in Wuhan, scientists said that a small vocal group had “stepped way out beyond” the evidence.

Last February, a group of 27 scientists, including Sir Jeremy Farrar, president of the Wellcome Trust, wrote a letter in The Lancet stating: “We stand together to strongly condemn conspiracy theories suggesting that Covid-19 does not have a natural origin.”

However, it later emerged that one of the key people behind the letter was Peter Daszak, who had worked closely with Wuhan scientists researching Sars-related coronaviruses in bats. An addendum to The Lancet letter setting out his links to the Chinese lab was not published until June this year.

A further article published in Nature Medicine also claimed there was no evidence to suggest that the virus had been manipulated. But scientists told filmmakers it was wrong to draw such conclusions based on the available evidence.

David Relman, professor of microbiology and immunology at Stanford University, a member of President Joe Biden’s intelligence team, said: “I was a little perplexed and a little bit upset with five very good scientists, some of whom I know well, who I thought stepped way out beyond what they should have been saying, based on the data available to all of us.”

Richard Ebright, professor of chemistry and chemical biology at Rutgers University, added: “These were not scientific papers, they did not present scientific evidence, they did not analyse and support scientific data, they were presenting opinion, they did not belong in scientific journals.

“A small group of scientists, aided by journalists, established and enforced a false narrative that science showed Sars-Cov-2 was a natural zoonotic spillover and a further false narrative that this was the scientific consensus.”

The documentary shows how a disparate group of scientists had been forced to launch their own investigation into the origins of Covid-19. They discovered that the Wuhan team had been working with a virus in 2013 that is the closest ever found to Sars-Cov-2.

That virus had been discovered in horseshoe bats living in a mineshaft in Mojiang, Yunnan, China, in 2013. The same mineshaft was also associated with a severe pneumonia-like illness in miners in 2012, which killed three people.

Professor Nikolai Petrovsky, director of endocrinology at Flinders Medical Centre in Australia, told filmmakers he had established that Covid-19 had emerged already perfectly adapted to infect humans.

His team used computer models to test which species the virus bound to most strongly, and found it was humans. He believes the ancestor of the virus may have been grown in human cells or humanised mice and over multiple generations evolved to infect humans, before escaping.

Prof Petrovsky said that the way coronavirus spread so quickly around the world, without initially needing to mutate, was highly unusual.
https://news.yahoo.com/scientists-cr...194944359.html
[Reply]
wazu 05:38 AM 08-22-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
That's a little disingenuous, but sure, if you want to play semantics. There's a pretty big difference between "this is conditionally approved because we're 99% sure it works but need more data to be 100% sure" and "we shouldn't have to tell people not to take horse pills," though.

I'm very curious if the full approval is truly the reason some people are hesitating. I'm pretty skeptical, but I guess we'll see what happens after Monday's (probable) approval.
I’ve had friends state they were waiting on full approval. Delta convinced at least one to remove that requirement.
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 06:39 AM 08-22-2021
Originally Posted by loochy:
Oh yeah, that will really work.

Listen, the number of people that haven't gotten a vaccine because they lack access is astoundingly small. The people that aren't vaccinated aren't vaccinated because they don't want to be.
I actually have met several people who claim “they haven’t gotten around to doing it.” They say they aren’t against getting it, just hadn’t had the motivation or know how to schedule an appointment.

I suppose they could be lying to not sound like an idiot, but I tend to think they are just lazy.
[Reply]
O.city 08:35 AM 08-22-2021
https://twitter.com/apsmunro/status/...261322759?s=21
[Reply]
loochy 08:40 AM 08-22-2021
Originally Posted by Saulbadguy:
I actually have met several people who claim “they haven’t gotten around to doing it.” They say they aren’t against getting it, just hadn’t had the motivation or know how to schedule an appointment.

I suppose they could be lying to not sound like an idiot, but I tend to think they are just lazy.
I suspect they are full of crap and they're using that as their excuse.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:07 AM 08-22-2021
Originally Posted by Saulbadguy:

I inadvertently guilted a family member into it the other day and they apparently scheduled and received their first shot already.... and I say 'inadvertently' because I was just giving them a hard time about how "I haven't gotten around to it" wasn't a good enough answer 8 months later.
[Reply]
wazu 09:11 AM 08-22-2021
It was around April or May that I finally decided to go ahead just because Hy-Vee started offering them and it was now ridiculously easy to get it done. This was before Delta, so my motivation had been pretty low, just not in any hurry. After I got the first shot I began seeing what was going on in India due to my job and it changed my opinion about the urgency. I can completely believe there are plenty who don't follow the news, and the latest noise just sounds like the over-exaggerated risks being broadcast a year ago.
[Reply]
TLO 09:20 AM 08-22-2021

I guarantee that you will not see a more important Ontario chart this weekend, courtesy Science Table and Globe and Mail. Recommend this be shared widely with those still hesitant. #vaccines #vaccineswork #vaccinessavelives pic.twitter.com/mtq0PdzijP

— Bill Comeau (@Billius27) August 21, 2021

[Reply]
Pablo 09:25 AM 08-22-2021
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:

Lol phil got wrekt
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 09:36 AM 08-22-2021
Originally Posted by loochy:
I suspect they are full of crap and they're using that as their excuse.
Perhaps. I do think there are people that just don’t care, or follow the news enough to have an opinion one way or another. Still idiots, but at least they aren’t actively spreading disinformation.
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:46 AM 08-22-2021
I have a suspicion that my mother and father in law have been vaccinated but are keeping it on the downlow or flat out denying it due to my anti-vaxx BIL that they worship as their golden child. They're in their late 70s and talk to their doctor all the time due to various medical issues that make them even more at risk, so its hard to believe they haven't been vaxxed. I think they're fronting for some silly optics reason.

At least that's what I tell myself as I'm done asking them about it.
[Reply]
Fish 10:17 AM 08-22-2021
Originally Posted by jdubya:
Or maybe they are still trying to gather more info to find what is best for them. I don't think yelling or shaming people to get vaxed is very effective....in fact likely quite the opposite. Just encourage all to have a discussion with their PMD`s and go from there.

I respect whatever choice one makes. It's a personal decision.
I have several family members who have seen 5+ doctors this year, just to find one that will agree with their opinion of the vaccine. One cousin is driving over 2 hrs across KS to see the one quack that agreed with her hesitancy regarding the vaccine. The doctors that told her the vaccines were safe and she should get it, well those doctors were "Paid for" in her opinion and she couldn't trust them. She's on Facebook encouraging her other nutty friends to go see Dr. X, because he knows his stuff and told her she's right about her fears.

Some people don't want facts, they only want someone to agree with their beliefs.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:32 AM 08-22-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
I have several family members who have seen 5+ doctors this year, just to find one that will agree with their opinion of the vaccine. One cousin is driving over 2 hrs across KS to see the one quack that agreed with her hesitancy regarding the vaccine. The doctors that told her the vaccines were safe and she should get it, well those doctors were "Paid for" in her opinion and she couldn't trust them. She's on Facebook encouraging her other nutty friends to go see Dr. X, because he knows his stuff and told her she's right about her fears.

Some people don't want facts, they only want someone to agree with their beliefs.
That's a BIG part of the problem.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 10:48 AM 08-22-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:

Less than 110 cases per million people in the unvaccinated group?

Am I reading that correctly? Seems hard to catch the Delta variant.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 11:42 AM 08-22-2021
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
Less than 110 cases per million people in the unvaccinated group?

Am I reading that correctly? Seems hard to catch the Delta variant.
Yeah, then why are hospitals reporting higher numbers than with Alpha?
[Reply]
Page 3676 of 3903
« First < 2676317635763626366636723673367436753676 3677367836793680368637263776 > Last »
Up