ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 212 of 212
« First < 112162202208209210211212
The Dumbass Lounge>Sandbox Simulations is open for business! Sign up now!
Rain Man 04:29 PM 02-24-2019
Not available in stores! Buy now! Special price of only $1 for a limited time only. We're up and running!

Go to www.sandboxsimulations.com to sign up. (You can learn more about the game as well.)

For the time being, we set the price to $1, and we can't limit it to just the game testers, so if you're interested, you'll also get the $1 price. Just sign up.

This is a fresh reset, so everyone will have new teams and we'll do a new draft.

Also, please give us any feedback about what you like or don't like, and how we can improve navigation. We've updated all of the systems, so there's a chance that errors are lurking somewhere, but we think we're good to go now. Let us know if something bad happens to you.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:35 AM 06-03-2020
Originally Posted by Rukdafaidas:
Pretty good track record, for sure.
This was our first year. We're both definitely happy with how we finished, but I don't think I learned a whole lot on how to get better with game planning. It seemed like whatever changes that I made didn't make much difference in the games.
I did learn how to do better at drafting and free agency, though. Without knowing exactly what was involved in game planning, I didn't know enough about which players to target. For example, I thought that I would focus on a RB that excels at receiving, to go along with Mahomes. Not knowing that I wouldn't be able to game plan how my RB would be used (rushing/receiving) I drafted James White too high.
I had a really good time playing and I'm looking forward to next season.
CD may/may not be willing to confirm this, but how your RB is used depends in massive part on how he performed.

You can't necessarily gameplan to force throws to your RBs, no. But if you have a RB that was a really good pass catcher and you give him the reps (especially if you make him a 3rd down back and have your setting aligned to throw a lot on 3rd), he'll get a lot of throws.

I built up a ton of RB depth in both leagues primarily through mid-late round picks and the passes to RBs vary based on which RB I have out there. It sure seems to make a difference.

The issue you faced is one of fit, IMO. Mahomes has stats that reflect his tendencies - he likes to get downfield with the ball and will check down only if necessary. Well you had Kittle and Cooks. Oftentimes Sammy Watkins as well. You had some dudes that could play and get open so if they are, Mahomes is gonna go to them with his RB as a last resort.

I think that's why I just struggled like mad to get Dak to go downfield (ultimately failed and probably should've dialed down the passing to compensate instead of trying to force an efficient round peg into a bomber's square hole) - because in 2018 (those are the stats we're working from), he just didn't do it that often. 7.4 Y/A despite a 67% completion percentage and a really mediocre QBR supports that - dude just wasn't very aggressive. My hope is that 2019, because of increased stats and more aggressive tendencies from him, yields a far more downfield oriented attack. His YPA went up to 8.2 with his completion percentage actually dropping by more than 2 points. He was clearly more aggressive in '19. Because that seems to be how this thing trends and ultimately I'm 'bout out of ideas when it comes to getting him to get the ball downfield a bit or at LEAST get the damn thing out of your hand when there's pressure.

That's my theory anyway. All of this stuff is about performance and fit, then trying to adjust your gameplans as needed to maximize what each respective player did that season.
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:08 PM 06-03-2020
"Hey, phog! You better hope I never get back in there, or I'm gonna kick yo' a**!" /Lawrence Taylor
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 12:27 PM 06-03-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
CD may/may not be willing to confirm this, but how your RB is used depends in massive part on how he performed.

You can't necessarily gameplan to force throws to your RBs, no. But if you have a RB that was a really good pass catcher and you give him the reps (especially if you make him a 3rd down back and have your setting aligned to throw a lot on 3rd), he'll get a lot of throws.

I built up a ton of RB depth in both leagues primarily through mid-late round picks and the passes to RBs vary based on which RB I have out there. It sure seems to make a difference.

The issue you faced is one of fit, IMO. Mahomes has stats that reflect his tendencies - he likes to get downfield with the ball and will check down only if necessary. Well you had Kittle and Cooks. Oftentimes Sammy Watkins as well. You had some dudes that could play and get open so if they are, Mahomes is gonna go to them with his RB as a last resort.

I think that's why I just struggled like mad to get Dak to go downfield (ultimately failed and probably should've dialed down the passing to compensate instead of trying to force an efficient round peg into a bomber's square hole) - because in 2018 (those are the stats we're working from), he just didn't do it that often. 7.4 Y/A despite a 67% completion percentage and a really mediocre QBR supports that - dude just wasn't very aggressive. My hope is that 2019, because of increased stats and more aggressive tendencies from him, yields a far more downfield oriented attack. His YPA went up to 8.2 with his completion percentage actually dropping by more than 2 points. He was clearly more aggressive in '19. Because that seems to be how this thing trends and ultimately I'm 'bout out of ideas when it comes to getting him to get the ball downfield a bit or at LEAST get the damn thing out of your hand when there's pressure.

That's my theory anyway. All of this stuff is about performance and fit, then trying to adjust your gameplans as needed to maximize what each respective player did that season.
That makes some sense about fit.
I just had a similar discussion with my son about Brady. Brady failed him in a lot of games this year. Crucial turnovers, etc. He was dogging his performance in the bowl because he only had around 50 % completion rate and a 6 YPA average. I asked who his TE's were and told him that IRL Brady needs good TE's to be good and that maybe that was the case in Sandbox as well.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:54 PM 06-03-2020
Originally Posted by Rukdafaidas:
That makes some sense about fit.
I just had a similar discussion with my son about Brady. Brady failed him in a lot of games this year. Crucial turnovers, etc. He was dogging his performance in the bowl because he only had around 50 % completion rate and a 6 YPA average. I asked who his TE's were and told him that IRL Brady needs good TE's to be good and that maybe that was the case in Sandbox as well.
Brady in '18 appears to be a lot like Dak was in '18. A little more aggressive, but probably not in the top half in that regard.

I dunno if the game is quite that specific (could be), but with two shitty TEs and only one reliable target (who should probably be a good fit for Brady; Cooper's an excellent route runner and intermediate WR), he definitely appeared to be a little undermanned so yeah, that probably forces him underneath to his check-down guys.

I'm not wholly convinced he needs a pair of elite TEs because like I said - not sure the sim is THAT narrowly drawn, but he definitely needs chain-movers. I think that's why Julio was really good for me - Dak, playing a similar style to Brady, had a premier chain-mover to work with. He also had a secondary weapon in Goedert (who is REALLY good, fellas. He'd be a top 10 TE in the league, at worst, but for Ertz). I think Robinson will have a better year for me next season w/ a more aggressive quarterback (based on his 2019 performance) but he's more of a downfield guy, IMO, and it showed in his disappointing production this year.

But what I think is really interesting is a point in favor of my theory - Barkley is a good pass-catching RB. But he's not quite James White in terms of efficiency (especially on a per snap, not per touch basis) and he's not quite as productive. James White meets/exceeds Barkley in the passing game even with far more limited usage in terms of snaps. But for the sake of discussion I think it's fair to just use one as a proxy for the other.

Had Barkley been on your Joplin squad and White on his Bentonville one, I think White floors Barkley's receiving stats even though Barkley's a 'better' player with a far better QB. But said better QB just doesn't use his RBs as much if he can avoid it. And if you put a lousy pass-catching RB w/ Brady, I think that RB will be pretty crappy in that regard as well because it's probably something of a calculus. The quarterback may drive more attempts to your RB, but if there's nothing in his resume to suggest he's actually a good pass-catching back, you won't see a lot of efficiency out of it.
[Reply]
brorth 01:02 PM 06-03-2020
Congrats, PHOG! The rookie draft will be fun, but I can't wait for FA... (Fondly remembers the blood bath that was Richard Sherman)
[Reply]
PHOG 08:20 PM 06-04-2020
I wonder if anyone knows who won the 1st Annual Sandbox Bowl? (Asking for a friend.)
[Reply]
MagicHef 11:15 AM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by PHOG:
I wonder if anyone knows who won the 1st Annual Sandbox Bowl? (Asking for a friend.)
League 1 or League 2?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:28 AM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by PHOG:
I wonder if anyone knows who won the 1st Annual Sandbox Bowl? (Asking for a friend.)
League 1, version 1.0?

My Clearwater squad in 2012 led by Aaron Rodgers, Percy Harvin (a STUD in that system) and Dez Bryant.
[Reply]
PHOG 11:33 AM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
League 1, version 1.0?

My Clearwater squad in 2012 led by Aaron Rodgers, Percy Harvin (a STUD in that system) and Dez Bryant.
I had no idea it went back that far.
[Reply]
PHOG 11:34 AM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
League 1 or League 2?
Who won in league 1? For 2018
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:47 AM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by PHOG:
I had no idea it went back that far.
It doesnít really. Itís gone through 3 total seasons. It was dormant for a long while.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:49 AM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by PHOG:
Who won in league 1? For 2018
Magic Hef
[Reply]
PHOG 11:52 AM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Magic Hef
Aha! :-)
[Reply]
MagicHef 01:17 PM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by PHOG:
Who won in league 1? For 2018
:-)
[Reply]
Page 212 of 212
« First < 112162202208209210211212
Up