ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 9
< 12345 6789 >
Media Center>Danny Carey > Neil Peart. Fight Me...
Fish 12:38 AM 06-20-2020

[Reply]
rabblerouser 08:53 AM 06-25-2020
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Past Ænema, yeah, it sounds pretty much the same.
It's true
[Reply]
MTG#10 10:00 AM 06-25-2020
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
Oh, whatever.

Every Tool song sounds the same.

And Tool fans SUCK.
We were talking about Ringo's inferiority to Danny Carey, not your shitty taste in music.
[Reply]
MTG#10 10:05 AM 06-25-2020
Originally Posted by SuperChief:
I don't know how someone can listen to Right in Two and Rosetta Stoned and hear the same thing. What?
There are dozens of other examples too. When someone says any band's music all sounds the same it just proves they haven't heard much or wasn't paying attention when they did. If all of Tool's songs sounded the same I seriously doubt they'd be selling out huge arenas still to this day well into their 50's.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 01:20 PM 06-25-2020
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
We were talking about Ringo's inferiority to Danny Carey, not your shitty taste in music.
A fucking queer-assed Tool fan telling me that MY taste in music is 'shitty'?

Maybe so, but I'm not into the whole art-queer for the sake of shock thing. Songs like 'Stinkfist" and "Prison Sex" just aren't my thing.

Maybe you identify with that shit. "Not that there's anything wrong with that..."

But the Beatles>>>>>>>Tool every single day of the week, AND they're not gay like Tool.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 01:29 PM 06-25-2020
Drummers I like better than Danny Carey :

RINGO
Mick Fleetwood
Joe Winters
Buddy Miles
Buddy Rich
Jimmy Chamberlain
Brain
Bob Burns
Artimus Pyle
Jaime Oldaker
Anton Fig
Phil Rudd
CHRIS SLADE
Steve Gorman
Joe Magistro
John Bonham
Ginger Baker
Matt Walker
Kenny Aronoff
Chad Smith
Jackie Irons
Dave Abbruzzese
Matt Cameron
Brit Turner
Charlie Watts
The guy from the fucking Spin Doctors
Jeff Sipe
Eric Kretz
Paul Fucking McCartney
Martin Chambers
Steven Adler
Matt Sorum
Sean Kinney
Brad Morgan
Chad Gamble
George Sluppick
Billy Kreutzmann
Dennis Chambers
Tommy Fucking Lee
Dave Fucking Grohl
Craig Wingate
Brad Wilk
Bill Ward
Tommy Aldridge
Lee Kerslake
Joey Kramer
Ralph Molina
Jim Gordon
Jim Keltner
Taylor Hawkins
Stephen Perkins
Uncle John Turner
Andy Sturmer from Jellyfish
Rob Affuso
Ginger Fish
Vinnie Paul
Eric Carr
Eric Singer
Neal Smith from the Original ACG
Whitey Glan
Nigel Olsson

That's just off the top of my head.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:38 PM 06-25-2020
You just did that, though. You said "Ringo won" in your post previous to this one. What am I missing? :-):-):-):-)
Ringo has had far, far more success as a player, touring artist and songwriter than Danny Carey. The two aren't even comparable in this regard.

These debates are stupid but if we're looking merely at career, number of albums sold and longevity, Ringo is the hands down "winner".
[Reply]
Molitoth 01:40 PM 06-25-2020
DC is my favorite drummer of all time, and I'd definitely put him up there with the top 1-3 best drummers of all time (even though I'm a little biased).

Gavin Harrison is the truth, though. His work with Porcupine Tree, the newer formation of King Crimson, and most recently Pineapple Thief is stellar. I know it's long, but give this performance a listen - it's a flawless clinic on progressive drumming. The song happens to be kickass too!
I did a search for Gavin Harrison in this thread and you were the winner.
Nice job.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:43 PM 06-25-2020
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
Thanks man, didn't plan on it but Tool threads will always bring me out from under my rock.

Seriously though, to say Ringo "wins" because he's recorded more songs is silly. And just because none of Danny's bands fit that style doesn't mean he couldn't carry a groove/backbeat if he wanted to. I've read somewhere he's an excellent jazz drummer, that's how he was originally trained but too lazy to look it up.

I'd bet my house Danny could listen to any Beatles song once and perform an exact replica of Ringo's elementary beats. Hell, I can play damn near every Beatles song and I only have 4 years of percussion in high school. Ringo probably couldn't even count some of Danny's polyrhythms.
There is nothing similar between Ringo and Danny's style of drumming, so to say one is better than the other is silly.

It's like saying that EVH is "better" than BB King when the reality is that both players have a huge audience and enormous appeal. Denigrating one successful player against another, especially when the subject is "best ever", is a complete waste of time.
[Reply]
Molitoth 06-25-2020, 01:57 PM
This message has been deleted by Molitoth.
EPodolak 02:03 PM 06-25-2020
"Carouselambra" (John Bonham)
"Close to the Edge" (Bill Bruford)
and throw in "Rain" (Ringo Starr)

A rock drumming holy trinity.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 02:19 PM 06-25-2020
Originally Posted by EPodolak:
"Carouselambra" (John Bonham)
"Close to the Edge" (Bill Bruford)
and throw in "Rain" (Ringo Starr)

A rock drumming holy trinity.
Bonham's take on the Purdie shuffle in "Fool In The Rain" is some of the best drumming ever recorded. The combination of technique, taste, and control is something that any drummer should aspire to, plus it's just fun to listen to...

I sometimes think that the Danny Carey/Neil Peart style of drumming holds more interest for non-musicians/beginner-type drummers because it's flashier, it stands out more, so people think it's "better", just because they don't know any better.

When I was in Junior High, I thought Mitch Mitchell was the best drummer ever, and from 66-68, he was great. But then, in 69-70, he expanded his kit to a double bass and the drugs kind of took over, and he started sounding like sneakers in a dryer. Something 12 year old me would have never admitted.

Nowadays, I prefer the 'pocket' drummers. The guys with technique, taste, and control. I prefer Brain>Herb Alexander in Primus. Buddy Miles to Mitch Mitchell. It's a taste thing. Drummers who don't know when to shut up are annoying. I don't want to hear a drum solo in the context of a song.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 02:21 PM 06-25-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
There is nothing similar between Ringo and Danny's style of drumming, so to say one is better than the other is silly.

It's like saying that EVH is "better" than BB King when the reality is that both players have a huge audience and enormous appeal. Denigrating one successful player against another, especially when the subject is "best ever", is a complete waste of time.
Wow, it's like you know about music or something :-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:50 PM 06-25-2020
I sometimes think that the Danny Carey/Neil Peart style of drumming holds more interest for non-musicians/beginner-type drummers because it's flashier, it stands out more, so people think it's "better", just because they don't know any better.

When I was in Junior High, I thought Mitch Mitchell was the best drummer ever, and from 66-68, he was great. But then, in 69-70, he expanded his kit to a double bass and the drugs kind of took over, and he started sounding like sneakers in a dryer. Something 12 year old me would have never admitted.

Nowadays, I prefer the 'pocket' drummers. The guys with technique, taste, and control. I prefer Brain>Herb Alexander in Primus. Buddy Miles to Mitch Mitchell. It's a taste thing. Drummers who don't know when to shut up are annoying. I don't want to hear a drum solo in the context of a song.
:-)

I'm laughing because I used to the be the same exact way. When everyone was into KISS in 1977, I was into Brand X, Return to Forever (with both Al and Bill), George Benson, Al DiMeola, Rush, Yes and later, Saga, because all of those guys could play their asses off, so I learned every guitar lick note for note.

I used to be into very technical drummers like Phil Collins, Neil Peart, Bill Bruford, Alan White and Billy Cobham. All of the drummers I played with were into those guys as well, with two of them owning a Ludwig Octaplus and couple of them owning clear blue Sonor drums. But as I became older, I began to dislike "busy" drummers and found that groove and simplicity was more to my liking than anyone that could copy a Neil Peart drum solo note-for-note.

I still prefer schooled drummers versus non-schooled guys, with the Berkeley drummers as my personal fav's. I've played with a ton of players but the guys that were my favorites are Taylor Hawkins, Brian Tichy and Kevin Valentine, with the least favorite being Rikki Rocket (we jammed a few times at the old Palomino in NoHo and the guy just couldn't play in time).

PS-Mitch Mitchell used to play all the time at the old Coconut Teaser when I first arrived in LA back in 1993 and I was soooooooooooo incredibly stoked to see him play live and man, was I disappointed. Plus, the guy just couldn't hold a conversation, so it was a bummer.

The old adage of "Never meet your heroes" unfortunately applied in this case.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 03:31 PM 06-25-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
:-)

I'm laughing because I used to the be the same exact way. When everyone was into KISS in 1977, I was into Brand X, Return to Forever (with both Al and Bill), George Benson, Al DiMeola, Rush, Yes and later, Saga, because all of those guys could play their asses off, so I learned every guitar lick note for note.

I used to be into very technical drummers like Phil Collins, Neil Peart, Bill Bruford, Alan White and Billy Cobham. All of the drummers I played with were into those guys as well, with two of them owning a Ludwig Octaplus and couple of them owning clear blue Sonor drums. But as I became older, I began to dislike "busy" drummers and found that groove and simplicity was more to my liking than anyone that could copy a Neil Peart drum solo note-for-note.

I still prefer schooled drummers versus non-schooled guys, with the Berkeley drummers as my personal fav's. I've played with a ton of players but the guys that were my favorites are Taylor Hawkins, Brian Tichy and Kevin Valentine, with the least favorite being Rikki Rocket (we jammed a few times at the old Palomino in NoHo and the guy just couldn't play in time).

PS-Mitch Mitchell used to play all the time at the old Coconut Teaser when I first arrived in LA back in 1993 and I was soooooooooooo incredibly stoked to see him play live and man, was I disappointed. Plus, the guy just couldn't hold a conversation, so it was a bummer.

The old adage of "Never meet your heroes" unfortunately applied in this case.
You get it, for sure :-).

I LOVED Taylor Hawkins when he was in Alanis' band - Taylor, Chris Chaney on bass and Jesse Tobias on guitar...they could shred AND knew how to lay back and play a three chord acoustic tune.

I saw Poison in 2012 with NY Dolls and Mötley Crüe and they surprised me - maybe the combination of low expectations, sobriety, and 20 years of actually learning how to play must've done them wonders.

And yeah, I was all about those "note guys" when I was a kid, I thought Steve Vai was awesome when he was the devil's guitar player in Crossroads :-). I think it's a musical maturity thing, you know. I realized early on that I was never going to be the "fastest gun in the west", and then I switched to bass, because, let's face it, a decent bass player always has a gig. Because I like songs and just wanted to play music, so it didn't matter if I was playing all the licks. Playing music is like a football team, you know - not everyone gets to score the touchdown and be Patrick Mahomes. Bass players and drummers are the Oline of the band. The drummer shouldn't ever be the QB (but the drummer IS the QB of Rush and Tool)...

Poor Mitch Mitchell. Not only did his playing deteriorate, but so did his brain, from all accounts I've heard. Those interview segments on the Hendrix DVDs had to be edited to make any sense...and even then, just barely.

I remember one where he was describing a JHE tour, he pauses and goes 'it was...giant...craziness.'
[Reply]
candyman 06-25-2020, 04:42 PM
This message has been deleted by candyman.
MTG#10 04:50 PM 06-25-2020
Thrashing wildly all over the kit isn't what people love about Danny. Its his polyrhythms combined with offbeats. His insane ability to play in two and even three different time signatures at the same time with different limbs...the human body should not be capable of some of the shit that man does, but he does it seemingly without effort. I get why some people think it sounds weird and don't enjoy it, it took me a while to get into them too but I love the math and trying to count as he plays.
[Reply]
MTG#10 04:52 PM 06-25-2020
A ****ing queer-assed Tool fan telling me that MY taste in music is 'shitty'?

Maybe so, but I'm not into the whole art-queer for the sake of shock thing. Songs like 'Stinkfist" and "Prison Sex" just aren't my thing.

Maybe you identify with that shit. "Not that there's anything wrong with that..."

But the Beatles>>>>>>>Tool every single day of the week, AND they're not gay like Tool.
Gay jokes...didn't know I was dealing with a teenager. You do you buddy.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 9
< 12345 6789 >
Up