ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 220 of 221
« First < 120170210216217218219220 221 >
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
Easy 6 02:58 PM 12-31-2023
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Tierra verde lake park. Says it's stocked with trout, bass, bluegill and catfish.

Here's a video at that lake. I don't know what he's using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRkmdW6Evn8

I have a basic fishing pole. I have been trying trout eggs and powerbait worms (they really do look like real worms!). I have no idea what I should be using or how to be using it!
Sounds like maybe that pond is due for a restocking, bluegill should be going apeshit on those trout eggs
[Reply]
lewdog 03:00 PM 12-31-2023
Originally Posted by Chief Ten Beers:
Sounds like maybe that pond is due for a restocking, bluegill should be going apeshit on those trout eggs
What setup do I use for Trout eggs though?
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:02 PM 12-31-2023
What setup do I use for Trout eggs though?
I'd just go with a simple bobber, especially for the youngster
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:08 PM 12-31-2023
Tierra verde lake park. Says it's stocked with trout, bass, bluegill and catfish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRkmdW6Evn8

I have a basic fishing pole. I have been trying trout eggs and powerbait worms (they really do look like real worms!). I have no idea what I should be using or how to be using it!

urban lakes typically only get about 200 trout per stocking (sometimes quite a bit less). By the time casual anglers get there, most if not all have already been fished out by those fellas you see sitting around the ponds sitting on their buckets with multiple poles in the water.

I would head up to Dead Horse State park in Cottonwood if you want to catch fish. 3 'lagoons' about 2-4 acres each. They get stocked every week during the winter, couple thousand fish at a time. Powerbait is the standard bait there.

Basic set up is light/ultralight rod and reel, 6-lb. test nylon/fluorocarbon, 1/8th-oz. splitshot or lead weight (egg-style) about 12-16 inches above the hook (sz16).

I'm sending you a pm in case you want more info. I'll ask a couple of my urban lakes buddies if there's one that's getting more fish than the others.
[Reply]
BigOlChiefsfan 07:06 PM 12-31-2023
Find a decent fishing store, ask where to learn to fly fish. Dad and I learned from a co-worker of Dad's who owned a little motel in Colorado and spent the winters working in KC, FWIW, you can take the fly off the flyrod and just practice working the flyline in the street or your front yard. Good way to get accurate/learn to handle the flyline. Good trout flyrods are pretty spendy BUT for KC Metro a pretty basic panfish setup won't break the bank. You'll be happier with a $70 rig you get to use than a $350 rig that always stays in the closet unless you drive to CO/Utah. A bunch of 'popping bugs' and a 6' leader, get a canoe or rowboat and work the shoreline from 20' offshore and bring 2 stringers. Bass, perch and bluegill are pretty tasty and you can always fillet 'em, can them like you can green beans and mix the canned 'wild fish' with store bought canned salmon and make salmon patties galore. He'll grow up big and strong with that much protein.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 03:36 PM 03-16-2024
Amazing how much these guys are spending on electronics!

[Reply]
lewdog 07:25 PM 03-16-2024
Finally caught our first fish. Bunch of Bluegill today to get my son a taste of catching something.
[Reply]
myselff77 09:37 PM 03-16-2024
Finally caught our first fish. Bunch of Bluegill today to get my son a taste of catching something.
How old is your son? We’ve checked out the fish at Bass Pro shop and my son likes looking at the fishing rods there. He turns 4 in May. I’m not sure he could sit still long enough to try fishing just yet.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:45 PM 03-16-2024
Originally Posted by myselff77:
How old is your son? We’ve checked out the fish at Bass Pro shop and my son likes looking at the fishing rods there. He turns 4 in May. I’m not sure he could sit still long enough to try fishing just yet.
He just turned 6. Lots of bites on the bluegills today so we fished for 2 hours straight! It was awesome.
[Reply]
jerryaldini 10:24 PM 03-16-2024
He just turned 6. Lots of bites on the bluegills today so we fished for 2 hours straight! It was awesome.
Funny for some reason today I was thinking about how fun it was to have my kids watching bobbers. What a great time. Bluegills on their spawning beds are amazing.
[Reply]
CatinKS 07:06 AM 03-17-2024
Time to get out the pocket fisherman reel.

https://x.com/crazyclipsonly/status/...679342908?s=20
[Reply]
Sofa King 08:01 AM 03-17-2024
Those fuckers are nuts
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:56 AM 03-17-2024
Thats awesome, does he have fishing fever now?
[Reply]
lewdog 12:09 PM 03-17-2024
Originally Posted by jerryaldini:
Funny for some reason today I was thinking about how fun it was to have my kids watching bobbers. What a great time. Bluegills on their spawning beds are amazing.
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Thats awesome, does he have fishing fever now?
I've never fished here in AZ so it was fun for me too. We are learning as we go. The Bluegills were nice because he could get the idea of watching the bobber about 5-10ft from the shore as they were hitting the worms. Dude tries to reel as fast as he can anytime the bobber was dipping. We were working on patience and letting the bobber really go under before setting the hook. :-)

He's got the fever but wants to try catching "other fish" now. I saw some small mouth bass jumping a bit, what's the technique for those? I am assuming baits/jigs/spinners with lots of casting and reeling? I also heard they stock these urban ponds with Catfish soon because they are about the only fish that can make it through the Phoenix summers without dying. Hotdogs and shrimp off the bottom is what I am told catches catfish which is again, something I've never fished for. Those lunkers could be really fun I bet!
[Reply]
Easy 6 12:25 PM 03-17-2024
I've never fished here in AZ so it was fun for me too. We are learning as we go. The Bluegills were nice because he could get the idea of watching the bobber about 5-10ft from the shore as they were hitting the worms. Dude tries to reel as fast as he can anytime the bobber was dipping. We were working on patience and letting the bobber really go under before setting the hook. :-)

He's got the fever but wants to try catching "other fish" now. I saw some small mouth bass jumping a bit, what's the technique for those? I am assuming baits/jigs/spinners with lots of casting and reeling? I also heard they stock these urban ponds with Catfish soon because they are about the only fish that can make it through the Phoenix summers without dying. Hotdogs and shrimp off the bottom is what I am told catches catfish which is again, something I've never fished for. Those lunkers could be really fun I bet!
You can catch bass and other sportfish with a bobber too, but yeah your chances go up with lures and lots of casting to cover as much area as possible

And thats where youngsters can run into trouble, because their chances of getting snagged/stuck in rocks etc goes way up... as for the catfish what you've been told is fine for channel cat, but blues and flatheads prefer live bait or cut bait (fish head or chunk of meat)
[Reply]
Page 220 of 221
« First < 120170210216217218219220 221 >
Up