ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 217 of 221
« First < 117167207213214215216217 218219220221 >
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
Pablo 06:40 PM 10-06-2023
That's an absolute beaut. I caught one almost the exact same profile on the White River years back, but not throwing flies, I'm not that good!
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:55 PM 10-06-2023
Originally Posted by loochy:
I'd actually estimate it at around 21. The skinny one I have the picture of was an actual measured 19, and this one was significantly larger.

Most of the fish, including this, were caught on a size 18 micro may bead head drifted under a heavy poundmeister (a local pattern if a crane fly larvae).

Speaking of colors, I lost a very large cutthroat when it wrapped me around a rock. I saw it roll once a d it was such a beautiful red color...I'm really upset I lost that fish.

Right. I keep forgetting other people will fish flies other than dries, lol.

If you caught it in that pool behind you guys, then the double dropper makes a lot of sense. I'm assuming a decent flow rate and depth of more than 3-4 feet? Indicator or just high sticking/euro?
[Reply]
loochy 07:03 PM 10-06-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Right. I keep forgetting other people will fish flies other than dries, lol.

If you caught it in that pool behind you guys, then the double dropper makes a lot of sense. I'm assuming a decent flow rate and depth of more than 3-4 feet? Indicator or just high sticking/euro?
That river is mostly pocket water. It's strewn with boulders the size of a car and the water is generally quite fast. The rig has to be heeeavy to get down fast. The poundmeister was a. #8 with a tungsten head and lead wrapping. The lead fly was about 6 feet under the indicator. I couldn't euro there because the water was too deep to get close enough to the boulder and eddy. Some of those holes are definitely 15+ feet deep

There's not really traditional casting with a rig like that. It's more of a circular lob up and over
[Reply]
Easy 6 07:32 PM 10-06-2023
Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish:
Can’t defend the slant. That was just poor.,

*** yea, wrong thread.
What are you on about here, William?
[Reply]
Graystoke 08:11 PM 10-06-2023
Beautiful fish loochy. Man I love pocket water like that, and with that scenery? Wow!
What size did you say the indicator fly was?
[Reply]
Megatron96 08:20 PM 10-06-2023
That river is mostly pocket water. It's strewn with boulders the size of a car and the water is generally quite fast. The rig has to be heeeavy to get down fast. The poundmeister was a. #8 with a tungsten head and lead wrapping. The lead fly was about 6 feet under the indicator. I couldn't euro there because the water was too deep to get close enough to the boulder and eddy. Some of those holes are definitely 15+ feet deep

There's not really traditional casting with a rig like that. It's more of a circular lob up and over

Gotcha.

When I fished a lot of indicators, I ended up doing almost exclusively roll casts instead of anything overhead. A lot less tangling, and way easier to aim.

Those were your own ties?
[Reply]
loochy 08:21 PM 10-06-2023
Originally Posted by Graystoke:
Beautiful fish loochy. Man I love pocket water like that, and with that scenery? Wow!
What size did you say the indicator fly was?
Wasn't an indicator fly, it was a double nymph rig. A #8 lead fly (poundmeister) with a #18 tungsten bead olive micro may. All that was drifted under an airlok indicator.
[Reply]
loochy 08:28 PM 10-06-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Gotcha.

When I fished a lot of indicators, I ended up doing almost exclusively roll casts instead of anything overhead. A lot less tangling, and way easier to aim.

Those were your own ties?
I couldn't even really roll cast it because the current pulled the heavy flies down. I'd have to make a first roll cast to get the flies up, then lob them over.

No, I don't have time to tie anymore! I get most of my flies now from big Y because they're affordable. I bought these flies from the local shop though because I like to support small business. I'll generally tie my own things that aren't stocked or tied well at big Y.
[Reply]
Megatron96 08:35 PM 10-06-2023
I couldn't even really roll cast it because the current pulled the heavy flies down. I'd have to make a first roll cast to get the flies up, then lob them over.

No, I don't have time to tie anymore! I get most of my flies now from big Y because they're affordable. I bought these flies from the local shop though because I like to support small business. I'll generally tie my own things that aren't stocked or tied well at big Y.

Yeah, with really heavy/long stuff I have to usually do a snake roll just to get the flies up, then a roll cast. Sometimes I have to aim about 6 feet above the water, if the rig is heavy/long enough.

i buy flies from Big Y too!

When i was in MT last summer we stopped in to this tiny little burg i don't remember the name of (Connor? Connell?) and they had a flyshop in a toolshed (maybe 18ft by 12ft?). The owner tied flies, and i bought a half dozen of these bullethead rubber-legged caddis just to support the shop, and coax him into giving me some decent info about the fishing. Dang things worked really well, but I forgot the name of the shop, so I can't order more, lol.
[Reply]
ptlyon 09:55 PM 10-06-2023
Good job loochy!
[Reply]
ChiefsFan63 06:43 PM 10-08-2023
I have never fished for trout, but those are beautiful fish. Congrats!
[Reply]
loochy 08:12 PM 10-08-2023
Originally Posted by ChiefsFan63:
I have never fished for trout, but those are beautiful fish. Congrats!
Well try it some time! It's a more delicate way to fish...the fish are smaller, more fragile, and more wary than other freshwater fish.
[Reply]
ChiefsFan63 07:44 PM 10-19-2023
Nothing big to brag about, but I had fun. The biggest is 16” and weighed right at 2 lbs. The smallest was 13” and really too small to keep, but I was craving fish tacos!
Attached: IMG_3753.jpg (201.7 KB) 
[Reply]
loochy 08:31 PM 10-19-2023
Originally Posted by ChiefsFan63:
Nothing big to brag about, but I had fun. The biggest is 16” and weighed right at 2 lbs. The smallest was 13” and really too small to keep, but I was craving fish tacos!
What are water temps like up there?
[Reply]
ChiefsFan63 08:41 PM 10-19-2023
What are water temps like up there?
Fairly cool. I never actually check the water temp. I was fishing a slower pattern, more like early spring. A big bladed spinner fished very slow.

This pond is 6’ low. We need some rain bad!
[Reply]
Page 217 of 221
« First < 117167207213214215216217 218219220221 >
Up