ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 728 of 3903
« First < 228628678718724725726727728 72973073173273877882812281728 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
SAUTO 09:35 AM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Someone with a mental illness, "chooses their fate"?

Perhaps you can say the same thing about an overweight chain smoker with diabetes/lung problems who drops dead from COVID-19 due to all of their self-induced underlying health conditions.
so every 30 year old that kills themselves because they cant see a way to support their family had a mental illness?

and killing yourself is definitely a choice, mentally impaired or not
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:35 AM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
you CANT say that if they arent testing. you dont know.
Tracking the death rate is the best way to go. Yesterday was 225, so far today 9 so hopefully that starts falling.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 09:36 AM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Oh.

So NOW free will matters?
Stop trying to get political. The point he made is good. Those people killing themselves have a choice. The people dying from the CoronaVirus are not asking to be killed.
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:37 AM 03-25-2020
But again, there's little evidence that schools have ever been a hotbed of transmission. It's not the kind of close, intimate contact among extreme carriers that is leading to the outbreaks.

Because the boots on the ground reality is that the adults still have to go out in the world. They work in healthcare or essential industry. They go to grocery stores. Then they spend even MORE time around their children and create that prolonged intimate contact that increases transmission.

I don't see it as counter-intuitive, but even if it is - so what? You don't get to disregard data because it doesn't fit the narrative you'd already contrived.

If there's no evidence that shutting down schools slows the spread, why shut down schools? "Abundance of caution" in the face of all available evidence simply doesn't fly.
well you shut down the schools because the health officials are saying you shouldnt have groups of over 10 people.

any class has that, right?

i havent seen any evidence that a child wont be as likely to give it or receive it from an adult. you got a link to that?
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:38 AM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Tracking the death rate is the best way to go. Yesterday was 225, so far today 9 so hopefully that starts falling.
on this i agree.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 09:39 AM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Stop trying to get political. The point he made is good. Those people killing themselves have a choice. The people dying from the CoronaVirus are not asking to be killed.
Is not taking care of your weight and becoming obese with diabetes a choice? Yes

Is smoking a choice? Yes

Both of those conditions/actions lead to the underlying health conditions that are causing a significant number of COVID-19-related hospitalizations/deaths.
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:39 AM 03-25-2020

how many were reported by 11 yesterday? IIRC all the numbers started jumping around 5pm...

lets hope it falls off today.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:39 AM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
What's political about it? Quit trying to shut down a discussion because you don't like what it implies.

The 80 year old that visits his kids had a choice as well. So did the person that has multiple comorbidities due to lifestyle decisions.

One side of this dialogue is claiming a moral high-ground and believes that gives them the right do decide which deaths matter and which ones are to be disregarded. How isn't that putting your thumb on the scale?

If you're going to try to make this decision purely from a public health perspective, then the impacts this makes on people's mental health is absolutely relevant to the discussion.
[Reply]
Donger 09:40 AM 03-25-2020
you CANT say that if they arent testing. you dont know.
Yes, I can. There are 82 confirmed new cases today. That means those 82 people have been tested. Does that fact mean that there aren't more cases out there that are unknown/untested? Of course.
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:41 AM 03-25-2020
What's political about it? Quit trying to shut down a discussion because you don't like what it implies.

The 80 year old that visits his kids had a choice as well. So did the person that has multiple comorbidities due to lifestyle decisions.

One side of this dialogue is claiming a moral high-ground and believes that gives them the right do decide which deaths matter and which ones are to be disregarded. How isn't that putting your thumb on the scale?

If you're going to try to make this decision purely from a public health perspective, then the impacts this makes on people's mental health is absolutely relevant to the discussion.
where did the 80 year visiting his kids come into this discussion?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:41 AM 03-25-2020
well you shut down the schools because the health officials are saying you shouldnt have groups of over 10 people.

any class has that, right?

i havent seen any evidence that a child wont be as likely to give it or receive it from an adult. you got a link to that?
As I've said, I've simply gone through too much of this crap to keep track of it. It was from a couple of studies released last Thursday/Friday(ish).

Children to adult transmissions are showing to be exceptionally rare.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:42 AM 03-25-2020
Up to 11 but yes, anything under triple digits right now is progress.
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:42 AM 03-25-2020
because the 30 year old is choosing his fate?
Oh.

So NOW free will matters?
Open the Covid-19 thread for some pessimistic updates and these are the first two posts i see.

via GIPHY

[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 09:42 AM 03-25-2020

Comparing an 80-year-old visiting her kids dying due to the CoronaVirus to a 30-year-old blowing his brains out is one of the most asinine comparisons I've ever heard in my life.

Ever think maybe the 30-year-old didn't enjoy living and just decided to use these times as an excuse?
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:42 AM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Yes, I can. There are 82 confirmed new cases today. That means those 82 people have been tested. Does that fact mean that there aren't more cases out there that are unknown/untested? Of course.
JFC

ok how many are showing many symptoms in NY that havent been tested today?

thats the fucking point here...

the numbers arent accurate by any account
[Reply]
Page 728 of 3903
« First < 228628678718724725726727728 72973073173273877882812281728 > Last »
Up