ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 56 of 791
« First < 6465253545556 5758596066106156556 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>2019 Free agency Thread
O.city 03:24 PM 02-05-2019
We don't really have one of these yet, so figured we could use this as a place to discuss potential free agent acquisitions and what we would like to look for them to bring in.

If any of you guys are interested, heres a good place to do some research.

https://overthecap.com/
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:20 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by -King-:
Chris Jones is probably the centerpiece of the defense. Ford is an elite player that plays a premium position though. I don't get why tagging him for a year is a problem. If he gets injured, that's sucks but for 2 years now, he's been elite when he plays. I fully understand and actually agree that a LTD probably shouldn't be part of the plan, but I don't agree with letting one of the best pass rushers in the league go when we can franchise him.

But I have to give you props for actually having this same position during the season. A lot of the anti-Ford people only became that way after the playoff game.
He spent 10 games in 2017 on injured reserve. He did have 10 sacks in 2016 but they were all before week 9 - he physically slowed down and finished the season much the way his first two seasons ended - with him being physically overwhelmed by the opposition.

And for the record, I'm not suggesting letting Ford walk. I would tag him and trade him for whatever I could get. I just can't wrap my head around using up that much of the cap on a guy that hasn't ever put together back-to-back seasons when the secondary needs SO much help. Especially considering he had 13 sacks last season and it wasn't enough.

Do people honestly think he's going to be better in 2019? He's really not playing for a contract anymore, he's going to be gone. They're not going to sign him to a long-term deal at age 29 with his injury history. They're basically renting him for 2019 and if he gets hurt, they're freaking screwed.
[Reply]
staylor26 08:22 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
He spent 10 games in 2017 on injured reserve. He did have 10 sacks in 2016 but they were all before week 9 - he physically slowed down and finished the season much the way his first two seasons ended - with him being physically overwhelmed by the opposition.

And for the record, I'm not suggesting letting Ford walk. I would tag him and trade him for whatever I could get. I just can't wrap my head around using up that much of the cap on a guy that hasn't ever put together back-to-back seasons when the secondary needs SO much help. Especially considering he had 13 sacks last season and it wasn't enough.

Do people honestly think he's going to be better in 2019? He's really not playing for a contract anymore, he's going to be gone. They're not going to sign him to a long-term deal at age 29 with his injury history. They're basically renting him for 2019 and if he gets hurt, they're freaking screwed.
Lol wut?
[Reply]
RunKC 08:32 AM 02-21-2019
It seems to me that they are going to spend any money available on the secondary. Maybe Janoris Jenkins if he gets cut. Maybe Landon Collins. Maybe Honey Badger.

Idk who but they can easily give them a low first year cap hit and it wouldn’t be a problem.

Andy mentioned interior rushers being so valauable last season. Thinking he wants another one of those guys to go with Jones via the draft. I bet he also wants another toy on offense. Some form of receiver.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:36 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Lol wut?
You won't be laughing when he gets hurt again so get it in now.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:37 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
It seems to me that they are going to spend any money available on the secondary. Maybe Janoris Jenkins if he gets cut. Maybe Landon Collins. Maybe Honey Badger.

Idk who but they can easily give them a low first year cap hit and it wouldn’t be a problem.

Andy mentioned interior rushers being so valauable last season. Thinking he wants another one of those guys to go with Jones via the draft. I bet he also wants another toy on offense. Some form of receiver.
There's not going to be a whole bunch of money available unless they straight up cut Houston and Berry.
[Reply]
staylor26 08:40 AM 02-21-2019
You won't be laughing when he gets hurt again so get it in now.
Dude, I can see both sides of this, but you’re being hard headed as fuck about it.

First off, there’s no way of knowing if Ford gets a significant injury next year and pretending like you do is silly.

Second, saying he’s “really not playing for a contract” is even more silly. That couldn’t be further from the truth.

You’re so married to your take that you’re saying some ridiculous shit.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:46 AM 02-21-2019
Dude, I can see both sides of this, but you’re being hard headed as fuck about it.

First off, there’s no way of knowing if Ford gets a significant injury next year and pretending like you do is silly.

Second, saying he’s “not even playing for a contract” is even more silly. That couldn’t be further from the truth.

You’re so married to your take that you’re saying some ridiculous shit.
It's called conviction, dude. Something most people around here don't really have.

As for knowing he will get injured, of course I don't KNOW. But the past is relevant and his is so marred with injury, the probability of him getting hurt again is FAR greater than the probability of him playing 18 games again. I'm just betting the field.

And finally, his contract was set last year. He's already proven he can rush the passer in a league that's desperate for pass rushers. He's going to get a contract from someone after 2019 even if he falls off from 2018. The only thing that keeps him from getting his payday is - oh yeah - him getting hurt.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 08:48 AM 02-21-2019
You hear that, guys? htismaqe has conviction that Ford will get hurt. Wrap it up, it's over.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:50 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
You hear that, guys? htismaqe has conviction that Ford will get hurt. Wrap it up, it's over.
What in his playing history suggests he won't?

I'm not pretending it's anything more than my opinion. I'm also not pretending I don't have a mountain of evidence to support it, either.

Seems like the other side of this argument has hope, and that's really it.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 08:51 AM 02-21-2019
Well, he also played a full season with no problems so there is that.
[Reply]
staylor26 08:53 AM 02-21-2019
You can only “hope” everybody doesn’t get injured though. That doesn’t just go for Ford.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:54 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Well, he also played a full season with no problems so there is that.
1 out of 9 going back to his 2nd year of college. Those are pretty good odds, no?
[Reply]
Rausch 08:55 AM 02-21-2019
What in his playing history suggests he won't?

I'm not pretending it's anything more than my opinion. I'm also not pretending I don't have a mountain of evidence to support it, either.

Seems like the other side of this argument has hope, and that's really it.
I'm with you.

I think if we sign him long term we'll pay him more than his worth.

He's not good in coverage, he improved from piss poor to poor in run support, and he's a one dimensional speed rusher.

On top of being a one trick pony this is his first really productive year as a pass rusher.

His first year of really being healthy.

In a contract year. So shocker there.

I'd prefer to let him walk but if we tag him lets keep him one more year and then let him walk. Get the comp pick and move on.

Ford is exactly the kind of player teams like the Pats or Steelers get their 5 years out of and then allow to leave...
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:56 AM 02-21-2019
You can only “hope” everybody doesn’t get injured though. That doesn’t just go for Ford.
It's much easier to hope that a guy who has missed 4 games in his career doesn't get hurt over a guy that's missed 14 or even 24.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:01 AM 02-21-2019
1 out of 9 going back to his 2nd year of college. Those are pretty good odds, no?
Ford’s only missed significant time in 3 of those years.

This is what I mean. You’re flat out being dishonest here.
[Reply]
Page 56 of 791
« First < 6465253545556 5758596066106156556 > Last »
Up