ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 156 of 319
« First < 56106146152153154155156 157158159160166206256 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Veach's '21 Offseason Plan to Keep Us Thriving: Let's speculate
Dante84 10:03 AM 02-08-2021
In order to prevent us wasting precious years of Patrick Mahomes' career, Veach needs to work some magic this offseason. What's your advice for him?
[Reply]
kccrow 03:16 PM 03-05-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I disagree.

Not only do teams get to measure each player accurately in terms of height, weight, vision and health, they're also allowed to spend time with these players, which is extremely valuable in determining who's a fit for the lockerroom while eliminating guys that aren't a fit.

Also, the 40 time is extremely important, especially for guys that played in weak conference or FCS schools, which is why we see guys rise up the draft board every single year.

Sure, they can make some evaluations on Pro Days but the most important aspect of The Combine is the level playing field. No one player has an advantage over another like they would at Pro Days, where guys are in a familiar environment. The on field drills are also important, especially for Wide Receivers, because they're all being tested by the same guy throwing the ball, as well as doing it on the same exact field.
You spoke to exactly what I stated.

1) I mentioned medical evaluation as the critical component of the combine.

2) Interviews are still happening, they just are happening via Zoom/WebEx and the like, so that component doesn't get erased.

3) Only a handful of players rise up boards due to running well in underwear. It's not that critical. Are teams going to somehow miss out on the next great player in the NFL because a guy couldn't run at a combine? Doubtful.

4) Your argument that 40-time is important doesn't hold up against what is said by a lot of people in the field. It's one of the least important tests at the combine. That and the bench press. Teams are more concerned with agility drills and jumps to show change of direction and explosive power. The 40 generally proves a guy is fast or slow, and not that they are marginally faster or slower than thought.

When you do get those surprises, the handful a year where you thought they were a 4.5 guy and they are a 4.3 guy, then you have to go back to the tape. That said, if a guy looks 4.5 on tape and runs a 4.3, then you have to question his mental processing speed as the issue of why he plays slower than he times.

5) Drills are not case critical either. While they serve as an additional verification tool, you still have done the primary evaluation. The primary evaluation is always done by the scouts 1st and re-watching tape 2nd. I'd argue in your favor for players that were injured. The drills walk hand-in-hand with medicals for players coming back from injury. I'd sure want to see how Walker Little moves at this point, for example. Not that I still wouldn't draft him, but it might mean a difference in 2-3 rounds.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:24 PM 03-05-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
You spoke to exactly what I stated.
No, I did not. You stated that the Combine was a "miniscule part", which is false.

2) Interviews are still happening, they just are happening via Zoom/WebEx and the like, so that component doesn't get erased.
Zoom interviews will never replace face-to-face meetings. We're not talking about colleagues that are using Zoom for their job, we're talking about 40+ year old men interviewing 21 year old kids.

It's not the same.

3) Only a handful of players rise up boards due to running well in underwear. It's not that critical. Are teams going to somehow miss out on the next great player in the NFL because a guy couldn't run at a combine? Doubtful.
That is completely false. There are always players that were initially pegged as Priority Free Agents that end up sneaking into the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds as well as guys that move up from being projected in the latter rounds to Day 2.

The reverse is also true.

4) Your argument that 40-time is important doesn't hold up against what is said by a lot of people in the field. It's one of the least important tests at the combine. That and the bench press. Teams are more concerned with agility drills and jumps to show change of direction and explosive power. The 40 generally proves a guy is fast or slow, and not that they are marginally faster or slower than thought.
You must be watching a different Combine each year than I am because each and every year, there are guys that run waaaaaaaay faster 40 times than expected and move up the boards, especially the small school guys, and there are guys that can't bench worth a shit that fall because they don't have the necessary strength to play in the NFL immediately.
[Reply]
htismaqe 05:06 PM 03-05-2021
Whoever created that table has absolutely no fucking clue when it comes to tiers. Who the fuck is giving Solomon Thomas a mid-tier anything and how is he even a modest fit?

Swap around Bowser, Golden, and Thomas for sure. I'd have to look at more. Not sure how Hendrickson isns't in the high fit/high price tier.
Well, the dude said half of Chiefs Kingdom is shedding a "tier" so he's obviously pretty smart.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 05:45 PM 03-05-2021
Veach offseason better be extending Tyreek

Chargers CB Chris Harris Jr. says Tyreek Hill is the best receiver in the NFL right now:

"Being able to do it all: take the top off, catch the ball routes, and take 'em 60. So right now, I'd say Tyreek Hill is probably the best receiver."@ChrisHarrisJr | @cheetah pic.twitter.com/jqAocSDKq5

— CBS Sports Network (@CBSSportsNet) March 5, 2021

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:11 PM 03-05-2021
There were quite a few people here that felt Justin Britt had either signed with the Chiefs or would sign with the Chiefs but he sign with the Texans today.

The #Texans have signed former #Seahawks center Justin Britt to a 1-year deal worth $3.2 million, source said, with a chance to make $5 million. Britt announced the signing on IG. pic.twitter.com/D1QXPRvnwO

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 6, 2021

[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:17 PM 03-05-2021
Yes, exactly.

Despite the fact that the Chiefs can restructure guys to get under the cap, 2021 isn't the year to be signing guys to long term deals.

In addition to that, there's no Combine this year, either, so while teams will obviously do their best to project this upcoming draft class, there's absolutely no doubt that teams will miss on guys they think are a "Sure Thing" while hitting on players unexpectedly.

This is a year in which the Chiefs should "play it safe", keep as many starters as they can, sign cheap free agents and let the board come to them.

This is definitely not the year to be chasing positions, despite what all of the mockers out there believe.
I know what you're saying, I just don't think it's 'chasing positions' when the depth of the draft seems to line up perfectly with needs in 2021 and 2022 forward.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:17 PM 03-05-2021
There were quite a few people here that felt Justin Britt had either signed with the Chiefs or would sign with the Chiefs but he sign with the Texans today.

I guess Veach and Reid weren't impressed. That's awful damned cheap.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 08:35 PM 03-05-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I’m surprised - he didn’t play at all in 2020 and is coming off an ACL.

I thought he’d sign for $1-2m personally.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:40 PM 03-05-2021
I think it's a huge advantage for The Chiefs this offseason. Front office in place, coaching staff in place, schemes well established. More importantly, scouting all experienced and already in place.

With a weird combine and whatnot, the established teams are going to have a big advantage. I bet we get some real gems out of this draft.
[Reply]
BossChief 10:09 PM 03-05-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
They obviously want to upgrade the position.

I hate that I’m setting myself up thinking there’s a chance we actually end up signing Linsley, but I do think there’s a realistic shot at that happening.

Britt was probably never an option.

How would that look?

LT coming back from Achilles
Center coming back from major injury and a missed year????????
Niang coming off major injury and a missed year
Schwartz coming off major back injury that caused him to miss the majority of the year.
LDT...lol
Osemele hahaha
[Reply]
RunKC 10:21 PM 03-05-2021
If Justin Britt, who has not played a down since October 2019, is getting $3.2 million then Reiter is probably going to get paid some pretty good money. I’m guessing at least $7 million as a starting point.
[Reply]
kccrow 10:30 PM 03-05-2021
No, I did not. You stated that the Combine was a "miniscule part", which is false.

Zoom interviews will never replace face-to-face meetings. We're not talking about colleagues that are using Zoom for their job, we're talking about 40+ year old men interviewing 21 year old kids.

It's not the same.

That is completely false. There are always players that were initially pegged as Priority Free Agents that end up sneaking into the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds as well as guys that move up from being projected in the latter rounds to Day 2.

The reverse is also true.

You must be watching a different Combine each year than I am because each and every year, there are guys that run waaaaaaaay faster 40 times than expected and move up the boards, especially the small school guys, and there are guys that can't bench worth a shit that fall because they don't have the necessary strength to play in the NFL immediately.
Go back and think about all these players that shoot up and down the boards. Do you need more than your 2 hands to count them in any given year?

The answer is no.

You're grossly overplaying the meaningfulness of it on the whole.

I'm not saying it isn't useful but it's not as useful as everything else prior to it. I'm also not saying you're wrong in that some players shoot up or down because of it.

The point is, really, that teams aren't going to miss out on too many players by not having a combine. They'll miss some. They'll get some UDFAs that maybe should have been drafted. They might get some steals on injured players. But as a whole, it's not going to make some monumental difference.

Teams have already set their boards. At this point, it's relatively minor shuffling and capturing a few outliers.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:40 AM 03-06-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
If Justin Britt, who has not played a down since October 2019, is getting $3.2 million then Reiter is probably going to get paid some pretty good money. I’m guessing at least $7 million as a starting point.
It will be higher than that even.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:49 AM 03-06-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
That’s fine as long as it’s not from us.
[Reply]
TEX 10:07 AM 03-06-2021
Originally Posted by BossChief:
They obviously want to upgrade the position.

I hate that I’m setting myself up thinking there’s a chance we actually end up signing Linsley, but I do think there’s a realistic shot at that happening.

Britt was probably never an option.

How would that look?

LT coming back from Achilles
Center coming back from major injury and a missed year????????
Niang coming off major injury and a missed year
Schwartz coming off major back injury that caused him to miss the majority of the year.
LDT...lol
Osemele hahaha
Yep. You dont protect Mahomes with a MASH unit.
[Reply]
Page 156 of 319
« First < 56106146152153154155156 157158159160166206256 > Last »
Up