ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 155 of 319
« First < 55105145151152153154155 156157158159165205255 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Veach's '21 Offseason Plan to Keep Us Thriving: Let's speculate
Dante84 10:03 AM 02-08-2021
In order to prevent us wasting precious years of Patrick Mahomes' career, Veach needs to work some magic this offseason. What's your advice for him?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:58 AM 03-05-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
They could easily bring in a guy like Linsley if they give him a low first year cap hit. It instantly shores up the middle of the line and we’re about to start paying less money for at least one of our tackles if Niang is the future at LT or RT.
there were rumors that Schwartz was planning on playing out his contract and retiring even before his injury.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:01 PM 03-05-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
there were rumors that Schwartz was planning on playing out his contract and retiring even before his injury.
I expect him too. Niang is his replacement, I’m assuming. That’s why I’m all for finally paying a good center. Our tackles are going to be getting cheaper.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:04 PM 03-05-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
From all indications, the market is going to be flooded with high end talent and since most teams will be close to the cap already, many, if not most of these players will need to take cheap deals this year in order to get a big contract in 2022.

This plays to the Chiefs advantage because if you're only getting a 1 year Vet Minimum or near minimum deal, why not play for the team that's been to the last two Super Bowls and is favored for a third?

This is exactly why I'm not advocating the Chiefs go All-In on the offensive line this year because they will have cheap but proven options in Free Agency.
I understand that stance but you're essentially kicking the can down the road. With two OT's north of 30 and both now showing injury issues (remember Fisher was having back problems too prior to the achilles) a 30 yr old mediocre center that's a FA, LDT is 30, often injured...I mean, you're going to need to get younger. Alegretti and Niang is a start, but we should be considering 2022 and on.

I think we should absolutely be in on cheap vets on 1 year deals, I just think we should be restocking the cupboard with young talent with actual upside. mid round OL talent is a good use of resources when you have the NFL's best QB, WR, TE, and a first round RB.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:07 PM 03-05-2021
Meh. I’d rather have Linsley.
I would absolutely pay that guy. You do that and you can literally open up your entire draft board essentially.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:11 PM 03-05-2021
I don't know that I'm necessarily on board with signing Linsley to a long-term contract.

He's had some minor back issues in recent years but they have been a recurring thing. He's also turning 30 this summer. He's good, really good, but I don't know if I'd sign up for that.

That's kind of my problem with Pocic too, but he's 5 years younger and should be half the price.
[Reply]
RunKC 12:15 PM 03-05-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Yeah, for sure.

But it also opens the door for the Chiefs to take a WR in the 1st or 2nd and supplement the back end with experienced wide receivers without breaking the bank.

If the Chiefs can get a guy like Nelson Agholor in the door on a cheap 1 year deal, they would have a solid, possession receiver that can play 16 games and would be a great compliment to Kelce, Hill, CEH and Hardman. He's also played in a similar system his entire career, so the transition would be nearly seamless. I'm sure there are other guys out there that would be great fits as well.

Watkins could have been a superstar with the Chiefs but he couldn't stay healthy, so I'm sure that other guys will see that potential and jump.
I think this is going to happen. We’ve now had back-to-back outstanding WR classes and with money being an issue I think that there could be some excellent deals available for the 2nd tier free agents like Brett mentioned.

I think we’ll be looking for a vet DE at a fair price too. Maybe in that 2nd wave. Someone like Ryan Kerrigan for example.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:25 PM 03-05-2021

With the Watt news an half of Chiefs Kingdom shedding a tier; let's look at some more FA EDGE fits

Fit is based purely on the general guidelines and thresholds of Spag's previous DEs. pic.twitter.com/AYK76JaPKp

— Matt Lane (@ChiefinCarolina) March 1, 2021

[Reply]
kccrow 12:29 PM 03-05-2021
Whoever created that table has absolutely no fucking clue when it comes to tiers. Who the fuck is giving Solomon Thomas a mid-tier anything and how is he even a modest fit?

Swap around Bowser, Golden, and Thomas for sure. I'd have to look at more. Not sure how Hendrickson isns't in the high fit/high price tier.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:35 PM 03-05-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I understand that stance but you're essentially kicking the can down the road.
Yes, exactly.

Despite the fact that the Chiefs can restructure guys to get under the cap, 2021 isn't the year to be signing guys to long term deals.

In addition to that, there's no Combine this year, either, so while teams will obviously do their best to project this upcoming draft class, there's absolutely no doubt that teams will miss on guys they think are a "Sure Thing" while hitting on players unexpectedly.

This is a year in which the Chiefs should "play it safe", keep as many starters as they can, sign cheap free agents and let the board come to them.

This is definitely not the year to be chasing positions, despite what all of the mockers out there believe.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:36 PM 03-05-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Whoever created that table has absolutely no fucking clue
Im just glad i didnt have to say it.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:38 PM 03-05-2021
Whoever created that table has absolutely no fucking clue when it comes to tiers. Who the fuck is giving Solomon Thomas a mid-tier anything and how is he even a modest fit?

Swap around Bowser, Golden, and Thomas for sure. I'd have to look at more. Not sure how Hendrickson isns't in the high fit/high price tier.
Well his name is right there. :-)
[Reply]
kccrow 12:42 PM 03-05-2021
The Combine is such a minuscule piece of the evaluation puzzle that I think it will have a relatively minimal effect. Primarily, it's a chance for teams to do medicals and interviews. They are getting the interview segment remotely.

I think the most critical portion is that players with medical issues won't be thoroughly evaluated and this will cause them to fall much further than they otherwise would.

The underwear Olympics segment doesn't matter that much, it generally just confirms what their trained eyes see on tape and makes a very modest impact on overall evaluation. Sure, you get the occasional surprise one way or the other but not to the extent it will send many players up or down the board.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:44 PM 03-05-2021
Well his name is right there. :-)
True haha. Well, Mr. Matt Lane needs to reconfigure his fucking table.
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:54 PM 03-05-2021
Not posting because I want the guy. Posting for the statement.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Chargers are "actively shopping" G Trai Turner.
There's a terrific chance he's simply released if the team can't find a suitor. Turner, 27, was acquired from the Panthers in exchange for OT Russell Okung last offseason but mustered only nine appearances with the Chargers (after previously playing 84 games in Carolina) due to a number of significant injuries experienced mid-year. With Kevin Zeitler's and Andrew Norwell's names recently cropping up as additional available options, the market is expected to be flooded with talented offensive linemen seeking fresh starts. Turner is due $11 million in base salary in 2021.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:25 PM 03-05-2021
The Combine is such a minuscule piece of the evaluation puzzle that I think it will have a relatively minimal effect. Primarily, it's a chance for teams to do medicals and interviews. They are getting the interview segment remotely.
I disagree.

Not only do teams get to measure each player accurately in terms of height, weight, vision and health, they're also allowed to spend time with these players, which is extremely valuable in determining who's a fit for the lockerroom while eliminating guys that aren't a fit.

Also, the 40 time is extremely important, especially for guys that played in weak conference or FCS schools, which is why we see guys rise up the draft board every single year.

Sure, they can make some evaluations on Pro Days but the most important aspect of The Combine is the level playing field. No one player has an advantage over another like they would at Pro Days, where guys are in a familiar environment. The on field drills are also important, especially for Wide Receivers, because they're all being tested by the same guy throwing the ball, as well as doing it on the same exact field.
[Reply]
Page 155 of 319
« First < 55105145151152153154155 156157158159165205255 > Last »
Up