ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 97 of 361
« First < 47879394959697 9899100101107147197 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 07:25 PM 01-07-2018
FWIW, I asked on reddit, and the universal response was that atmospheric drag really can slow it down that much.
[Reply]
Donger 07:26 PM 01-07-2018
Originally Posted by DaFace:
FWIW, I asked on reddit, and the universal response was that atmospheric drag really can slow it down that much.
That really does have to be the answer. There really isn't anything else going on to slow it. Maybe the numbers flashing by were just messing me up.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:07 PM 01-07-2018
Donger, if you want some more technical explanations...

https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comm...dates/dscgtet/
[Reply]
eDave 09:48 PM 01-07-2018

[Reply]
Donger 08:33 AM 01-08-2018
Donger, if you want some more technical explanations...

https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comm...dates/dscgtet/
Yep, I get it. But again. I was surprised at the rate of deceleration due to just atmospheric "drag"
[Reply]
Donger 04:04 PM 01-08-2018
Rumblings that the payload for the Zuma mission did not achieve orbit. Possibly disinformation, of course.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 06:57 PM 01-08-2018
Originally Posted by Donger:
Rumblings that the payload for the Zuma mission did not achieve orbit. Possibly disinformation, of course.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/spac...acex-was-lost/
[Reply]
DaFace 07:49 PM 01-08-2018
It's definitely weird. The only official statement is that the F9 performed its duties fine. The payload is classified, so who knows if it ended up having an issue of its own or if it was some sort of test that didn't really require a true orbit. Or maybe it's up there just fine, and all of this secrecy is just to further conceal the mission's purpose.

I doubt we'll ever know, but it doesn't seem like SpaceX is reacting like anything went wrong at all. FH is rolling out for what is expected to be a Wednesday static fire, and there haven't been any rumblings at all about any other launches being delayed due to a failure.

In the meantime, this shot from the launch is really cool.

[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:27 PM 01-08-2018
Originally Posted by eDave:
The picture is interesting, I get the two lines where the first stage did it's burns, and the gap seen in the arc between MECO and the second stage starting up, the up-loop showing the back-burn of the first stage, but I don't get why the first burn of the first stage's reentry burn appears higher than where the first and second stages separated.

Just angles?
[Reply]
DaFace 08:38 PM 01-08-2018
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
The picture is interesting, I get the two lines where the first stage did it's burns, and the gap seen in the arc between MECO and the second stage starting up, the up-loop showing the back-burn of the first stage, but I don't get why the first burn of the first stage's reentry burn appears higher than where the first and second stages separated.

Just angles?
It definitely kicks up higher the during the boostback burn. Some of it's probably angles, but it probably starts the reentry burn in about the same spot as separation.

This illustration's not to scale or anything, but should give you the gist.

[Reply]
DaFace 08:47 PM 01-08-2018
Welp, this doesn't sound good.

Highly classified US spy satellite appears to be a total loss after SpaceX launch
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:26 PM 01-08-2018
It definitely kicks up higher the during the boostback burn. Some of it's probably angles, but it probably starts the reentry burn in about the same spot as separation.

This illustration's not to scale or anything, but should give you the gist.

That helps a lot. Thanks..
[Reply]
DaFace 09:43 AM 01-09-2018
For what it's worth, here's Gwynne's official statement about Zuma:

Originally Posted by :
For clarity: after review of all data to date, Falcon 9 did everything correctly on Sunday night. If we or others find otherwise based on further review, we will report it immediately. Information published that is contrary to this statement is categorically false. Due to the classified nature of the payload, no further comment is possible.

Since the data reviewed so far indicates that no design, operational or other changes are needed, we do not anticipate any impact on the upcoming launch schedule. Falcon Heavy has been rolled out to launchpad LC-39A for a static fire later this week, to be followed shortly thereafter by its maiden flight. We are also preparing for an F9 launch for SES and the Luxembourg Government from SLC-40 in three weeks.
So basically, it sounds like the satellite itself was a loss, but at least for now, it looks like the issue was that the connector to the F9 second stage didn't release properly. In this case, that connector wasn't designed by SpaceX, so it's not on them.

So good news: no delays to FH or the rest of SpaceX's manifest. Bad news: the U.S. appears to have lost a very expensive satellite.
[Reply]
Donger 10:00 AM 01-09-2018
Bad news: the U.S. appears to have lost a very expensive satellite.
That's just what they want you to think... :-)
[Reply]
DaFace 10:03 AM 01-09-2018
Originally Posted by Donger:
That's just what they want you to think... :-)
Misdirection is certainly a plausible answer here too. I don't think we'll ever know...
[Reply]
Page 97 of 361
« First < 47879394959697 9899100101107147197 > Last »
Up