ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 595 of 3903
« First < 95495545585591592593594595 59659759859960564569510951595 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TLO 08:10 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by KCrockaholic:
If we're as serious as we say about this then it's time to shut down all commercial air travel
What about interstate travel? Is that even legal?
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 08:12 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
What about interstate travel? Is that even legal?
Interstate travel should still be allowed. The point of stopping air travel is due to bunching people into small places/buildings.
[Reply]
Bwana 08:13 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by KCrockaholic:
If we're as serious as we say about this then it's time to shut down all commercial air travel
I see that happening sooner, rather than later.
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 08:14 PM 03-21-2020
Same, and I hope so. Time to go all-in. Get this thing figured out so we can get back to regular life again.
[Reply]
AustinChief 08:15 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:
Pretty much the way we handled the swine flu and bird flu and the other virus pandemics we’ve faced - not freak the fuck out and shut down the country. I’m not trying be a cold hearted prick, I have older people in my life who are at risk from this but, the hard reality is that death is a part of life. For the rest of us still breathing, life does not stop. We have to keep living until our time comes.

Sitting around the house on a government mandate relying on the government to feed you is not living, it’s just kind of existing.
This is one of the most rational posts I have seen in days regarding this topic. This entire situation has reminded me how over emotional our society has become. We are basically all teenage girls at this point.

The course of action I would have taken (I stated this weeks ago) would be to isolate the known at risk portion of our population and let the rest go about their business and develop immunity.

I would even have the government subsidize the endeavor. 25 years old but have respiratory issues? The govt will mandate that you are allowed to either work from home or get paid leave and will compensate you and your employer accordingly. I would also be fine with the govt offering some assistance to anyone else who CHOOSES to self quarantine.

Yes, there will be people who are at risk and decide not to follow precautions. If they do so.... well, fuck 'em. That was THEIR CHOICE.

I know my "solution" is far from perfect but it's a massive step up from the clusterfuck we are attempting now.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:15 PM 03-21-2020
It's pretty damn close already. My company does a lot of work at DEN, and my colleague said he felt more comfortable there than at the grocery store. It's that empty.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:16 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Indeed. But that how it be. I'm enjoying being shut in. Got TV, got internet, got my playstation, got my computer, got food, got water, got weed, got money. It's a fucking vacation.
No so bad unless you watch the news or have to go to the store.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:16 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by AustinChief:
This is one of the most rational posts I have seen in days regarding this topic. This entire situation has reminded me how over emotional our society has become. We are basically all teenage girls at this point.

The course of action I would have taken (I stated this weeks ago) would be to isolate the known at risk portion of our population and let the rest go about their business and develop immunity.

I would even have the government subsidize the endeavor. 25 years old but have respiratory issues? The govt will mandate that you are allowed to either work from home or get paid leave and will compensate you and your employer accordingly. I would also be fine with the govt offering some assistance to anyone else who CHOOSES to self quarantine.

Yes, there will be people who are at risk and decide not to follow precautions. If they do so.... well, fuck 'em. That was THEIR CHOICE.

I know my "solution" is far from perfect but it's a massive step up from the clusterfuck we are attempting now.
From my own layman POV, I agree, but the world's experts seem to disagree. Hope they're right.
[Reply]
SupDock 08:18 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Indeed. But that how it be. I'm enjoying being shut in. Got TV, got internet, got my playstation, got my computer, got food, got water, got weed, got money. It's a fucking vacation.
What are you playing? I have been playing modern Warfare warzone.
[Reply]
Bwana 08:18 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
It's pretty damn close already. My company does a lot of work at DEN, and my colleague said he felt more comfortable there than at the grocery store. It's that empty.
Yeah there is a lot of "ghost flights" out there right now. The flight my folks were on last week had 10 people on it.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 08:26 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Come on. You know if it was that simple we would all be working now.
It pretty much is that simple. People are just too blinded by their emotions right now to see it. I just got off the phone with my dad who used to manage a couple of respiratory departments and is still very mouth in contact with that world selling respiratory and oxygen related equipment. His take is that it is very possible to go on with business as usual with some minor changes in how business is conducted and people acting responsibly. There would be some what of an economic slow down as people made lifestyle adjustments but, it wouldn’t be any where near the grinding halt we are coming to now.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 08:32 PM 03-21-2020

Yes, there will be people who are at risk and decide not to follow precautions. If they do so.... well, **** 'em. That was THEIR CHOICE.

I know my "solution" is far from perfect but it's a massive step up from the cluster**** we are attempting now.
I think this fiasco should be a giant wake up call for people in terms of how much power mayors and governors have over their day to day lives.

With seemingly minimal oversight or checks/balances and with questionable statistical justification (i.e. using overinflated virus case stats as a fear tactic), mayors/governors across the country have effectively put millions of their citizens under house arrest and have destroyed their personal finances.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 08:32 PM 03-21-2020

Yes, there will be people who are at risk and decide not to follow precautions. If they do so.... well, **** 'em. That was THEIR CHOICE.

I know my "solution" is far from perfect but it's a massive step up from the cluster**** we are attempting now.
Wouldn't work. Too many people would get sick. Hospitals would get overrun.

I wish it would though.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 08:35 PM 03-21-2020

I can’t say that I’m totally excited about all the financial government instance that comes with this plan but, I’d take it all day long over our current “plan”.

And yes, we have become a nation of teenage girls. *shudders*
[Reply]
BossChief 08:36 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Is it overkill at this point if drastic measures were taken to the level of:

Suspend all air travel
All interstate travel is shut down
Require all non essential businesses to suspend business
Encourage everyone to stay at home
Ban all groupings of a certain amount of people
From 11:30pm on the 12th.
[Reply]