« First < 243031323334 3536373844 > Last »
Media Center>Captain Marvel
Fish 08:23 AM 09-18-2018

[Reply]
BigRichard 03:11 PM 03-08-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Current RT Scores: Critics 81%, Audience 35%

Oops.
I think they already know RT got bombarded by some bot scores but they should be able to weed those out I would believe to get a proper scoring. I will be interested to see what it is once that is done. I am sure once they weed them out they will still be screaming Russian bots or some such shit.
[Reply]
DaFace 03:26 PM 03-08-2019
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
I think they already know RT got bombarded by some bot scores but they should be able to weed those out I would believe to get a proper scoring. I will be interested to see what it is once that is done. I am sure once they weed them out they will still be screaming Russian bots or some such shit.
Probably not as easy as you'd think. You can dedupe by IP address, but there really isn't much you can do to prevent bot spamming unless you somehow verify ticket purchases, which would be a nightmare.
[Reply]
Bowser 03:29 PM 03-08-2019
Hopefully I find this enjoyable when I see it. I don't give a shit about Brie's politics, and I'm only there for the entertainment anyway, so I just want a good film.

I'm afraid Marvel is trying to find a nice and tidy deus ex machina to Thanos and the gauntlet, and in doing so will "rush" this story. That's worst case for me, I think. Best case is that this movie sets up Endgame and opens the door not only to Cosmic Marvel, but the bringing together of the Fox entities coming to Marvel (her manipulation of the quantum realm and how that could lead to an infinite number of other realities, giving Marvel their path for total unification of their characters....).
[Reply]
listopencil 03:41 PM 03-08-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
Not exactly. Ms. Marvel became Captain Marvel after a bunch of others donned the Captain Marvel role.

Danvers storyline.. if I'm remembering correctly:
  • Captain Marvel comic is introduced in the late 50s starring an alien named Mar-vell as Captain Marvel.
  • Mar-vell develops a romance with Carol Danvers, who works for NASA. She's just a normal person at this point.
  • Like 5 other people take over the Captain Marvel role and have their own stories.
  • 1977, she reappears in the new comic Ms. Marvel getting super powers when a machine blew up and she absorbed Mar-vell's powers becoming Ms. Marvel.
  • She stays as Ms. Marvel for another 15 years or so, then takes on the name of Binary after her powers get boosted in space. Works with Avengers and XMen.
  • She loses her Binary powers(Rogue steals them), and changes her name to Warbird. Again works with Avengers, etc.
  • Finally in 2012, she takes over the role of Captain Marvel.

Ah, OK, thanks. I had it backwards and inside out.
[Reply]
listopencil 03:43 PM 03-08-2019
Originally Posted by arrowheadnation:
I don't think this is really a spoiler, but I'll put it in tags just in case.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Setsuna 03:46 PM 03-08-2019
Originally Posted by Sure-Oz:
So are you not going to see end game if Captain Marvel is a badass in it? She's like Superman basically. I assume she will be one of the many leaders...we shall see.
I'm going to see Endgame. I just wonder how she's going to interact with the males is all. How she fights is no concern of mine.

Originally Posted by BigRichard:
They already deleted 54K reviews for the movie. So....:-)
[Reply]
listopencil 03:48 PM 03-08-2019
Brie Larsen reminds me of that female firefighter character on Rescue Me.

Diane Farr as Firefighter Laura Miles.
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 04:58 PM 03-08-2019
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Doesn't she get any credit for being in the Avengers, who have like half the items on that list?
She can have credit for whatever you want. How long has she been in the Avengers? And do people like her in the Avengers?

I'm just telling you, Marvel Comics has tried pretty hard for several years to put Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel front and center and it has mostly been met with a big meh. I don't really give a shit if she is popular or not, but you have been talking like you are some kind of expert throughout the past several pages of this thread and anyone who has even a tertiary knowledge on the subject can tell you are talking out of your ass.

Fish and I don't agree on much of anything other than what belongs in the NOPE thread and the fact that you don't have a fucking clue what you are talking about on this subject.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 05:09 PM 03-08-2019
Originally Posted by Setsuna:
I'm going to see Endgame. I just wonder how she's going to interact with the males is all. How she fights is no concern of mine.

They already deleted 54K reviews for the movie. So....:-)
In general it'll be hard to replace Tony Stark and Cap if they do leave. Hopefully she'll fit in...I trust marvel not to screw up.
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 05:18 PM 03-08-2019
I saw it last night, great movie.
[Reply]
kcpasco 05:34 PM 03-08-2019
You know when the vast majority of fans that watch End Game would rather watch Thanos brutally rip her in half but instead she will probably give him the death blow it’s not going to go over well. Marvel has a pr problem on its hands. They need to just recast Brie Larson, she’s toxic.
[Reply]
FAX 06:55 PM 03-08-2019
Good movie.

Recommend.

FAX
[Reply]
ThaVirus 07:59 PM 03-08-2019
Originally Posted by Hawk:
This thread...wow. I guess I will never get why people care what the actors and actresses say and think about politics. IDMAS to me.

I am excited to see the movie because it will play a role in the Infinity Wars movies and gets everything set up for End Game. Other than that, it's just a comic book movie and I don't care at all about the politics or any of that nonsense.

Has anyone on this thread actually seen the movie yet and have an opinion based on something besides your hatred of Brie Larson and all those damn Hollywood liberals?
IDMAS? It doesn't matter a shit to me?

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
A) I don't really know what I'm talking about. I had comics in the early 90s; had my favorites for 5-6 years and then found other stuff to do. I'm not a hardcore comic fan. That said, I did also speak inartfully when I said she doesn't have a following 'to speak of'. Meaning mostly that I meant it in relative terms. If that wasn't clear, it probably could've been.

Now B) Precisely because of the the above, I can say that your Iron Man comparison is a pretty bad one. I absolutely knew who Iron man was. He was a pretty top end character, especially as a solo shop rather than an ensemble. I had no earthly idea who Captain Marvel was.

Id' say I'm pretty precisely the dividing line in identifying a 'fringe character' vs a fairly major one. I knew of any/all major comic book characters to be part of major motion pictures up until Ant Man (wait...maybe Guardians; did they come before Ant-man? Whatever).

I suspect I'm not alone here and my point is precisely to point out that this idea that we're supposed to be galled if people don't flock to see a movie just because a B level Marvel figure is helming it is silly. Ant Man was projected to open at $60 million. This movie's projected at 2-3 times that despite the fact that the main character is of similar repute among the population writ large (which is to say, no cultural cache among the general populace at all).

This is a throwaway property being propped up precisely because Marvel wants a strong female lead. Alright, fine - do that. It makes business sense. But don't expect me to care. If the movies good, I'll see it - Ant Man was awesome and more critically it was a needed infusion of light fare in an increasingly heavy MCU. You can argue that a female lead is needed in an increasingly male MCU as well - again, that's fine. But the movie had better be good on its own merits.
Precisely

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow:
When did Ironman become a B level character?
I guess it's all pretty arbitrary, but prior to 2008 I'd definitely place Iron Man in Marvel's second tier of superhero popularity. The name was known but no one gave a shit about him until RDJ put on the mask.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 08:41 PM 03-08-2019
Going Sunday...can't wait.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 08:42 PM 03-08-2019
Originally Posted by kcpasco:
You know when the vast majority of fans that watch End Game would rather watch Thanos brutally rip her in half but instead she will probably give him the death blow it’s not going to go over well. Marvel has a pr problem on its hands. They need to just recast Brie Larson, she’s toxic.
I haven't really seen most fans of comics online bitch about her except people upset with Brie and her comments.
[Reply]
Page 34 of 57
« First < 243031323334 3536373844 > Last »
Up