ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3901 of 3903
« First < 2901340138013851389138973898389939003901 39023903 >
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Rain Man 02:00 PM 03-06-2023
Originally Posted by Chitownchiefsfan:
If only it was that black an white. If you have lung cancer but ultimately die of pneumonia as a result of it you don't just count the death towards pneumonia.
Yeah, I've discovered over my career that most types of data compilation are more complicated and subjectively defined than they would seem at first glance.

For example, I had a very elderly relative who died in 2021. (I never met him - he was my father's cousin or some such thing.) Anyway, the guy was 90+ years old and he got Covid and was apparently feeling very poorly. He got up in the night and either passed out or fell, and ultimately died as a result of the fall. Covid caused the fall, but the fall actually killed him. So where does he count in the statistics?
[Reply]
Donger 02:23 PM 03-06-2023
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Yeah, I've discovered over my career that most types of data compilation are more complicated and subjectively defined than they would seem at first glance.

For example, I had a very elderly relative who died in 2021. (I never met him - he was my father's cousin or some such thing.) Anyway, the guy was 90+ years old and he got Covid and was apparently feeling very poorly. He got up in the night and either passed out or fell, and ultimately died as a result of the fall. Covid caused the fall, but the fall actually killed him. So where does he count in the statistics?
Death certificates list immediate cause of death and underlying cause, with steps in between if they exist.

No idea if your relative's certificate listed COVID-19 as underlying cause, of course.

My father's certificate showed immediate cause of death as "necrotizing pneumonia" and underlying cause as GBM with something else mentioned regarding the chemo that destroyed his immune system. So, he died of pneumonia, but that pneumonia happened because of the chemo, and he was on chemo because of GBM.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 05:53 PM 03-06-2023
Originally Posted by dolphinsneu:
I don't know if I will ever know the truth about Covid.

I wish people would conduct studies about the people hospitalized now. How many are vaxxed? How many are single boosted? How many are double boosted?

Most importantly, for how many is this their second infection? This could lead to findings as to if prior infection does give immunity.

During the capitol riots, when the lawmakers were sheltering in a confined area, some Democrats asked some Republicans to wear masks. The Republicans refused, and the Democrats got Covid. This lends credence to the idea that masks don't protect the wearer, but they do stop the spread.
The studies are out there.

But the science doesn't matter any more and that's the point.

For a hot button issue, it doesn't matter how clear any given study is. There will always be some echo chamber pointing to a supposed contrarian result.

As a society, we can't even agree on factual claims like whether the murder rate is going up or down.

Web sites, TV hosts, and of course politicians can just flat out lie without consequences and it is getting harder to sift through the disinformation...
[Reply]
dolphinsneu 06:30 PM 03-06-2023
It’s like Hamlet.

To boost or not to boost, that is the question
[Reply]
dolphinsneu 09:28 AM 03-07-2023
Idaho is making it a crime to administer an mRNA vaccine.

I don’t get this. It should only be illegal to mandate the vaccine
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 07:32 AM 09-02-2023
I know there are several others that work at hospitals and such on here.
How are your covid numbers? Is your facility getting scared? Are you all preparing for another sustained surge?
The hospital where I work is having my department prepare as we have seen a steady increase in Covid numbers. Our numbers have gone from 5 or less for a while to where we are staying over 15 to 20; this last week, we have been over 30 daily.
We have redeployed a dozen HEPA air scrubbers. We have also had to go back to all the negative pressure settings in all covid areas.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 08:01 AM 09-02-2023
I'm curious about fall/winter.... I always get the flu vaccine every year around October. Is there going to be a new covid booster this coming? Will this be like the flu and be updated every year? I wonder if a new booster will be necessary for people under 60. I've had covid once and it wasn't bad for me and I'm current on shots.
[Reply]
loochy 08:17 AM 09-02-2023
Originally Posted by Sure-Oz:
I'm curious about fall/winter.... I always get the flu vaccine every year around October. Is there going to be a new covid booster this coming?
I'm sure there will be

Will this be like the flu and be updated every year?
I'd have to assume yes

I wonder if a new booster will be necessary for people under 60.
Necessary? No,unless you have some sort of immune system weakening condition

I've had covid once and it wasn't bad for me and I'm current on shots.

[Reply]
TLO 08:18 AM 09-02-2023
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink:
Panic ???:-) It's the flu season folks !!! The flu has been in every country of the world at this time of year affecting the elderly the most in death since the dawn of time. Just over 600 cases in NY out of 8 million people who live there ?:-) If it was time to panic those numbers would be in the hundreds of thousands by now IF this was serious. Just over 3000 cases confirmed nationally with 57 deaths out of 350 million as a nation ? :-) IF this was serious these numbers nationally would be in the millions with thousands and thousands of deaths already. Sounds like the flu season to me. Oh No ! CBS has shut down there studio audiences because 2 employees out hundreds of employees have the flu !!!! Imagine that this time of year !!:-)

It's the flu season folks !!:-)

Not buying it !! The numbers just don't back it up and yes some countries are worse than others based on their preparedness or lack thereof.

What I do buy !!! "Never let a ginned up crisis go to waste" !!!:-)
Look at this guy
[Reply]
loochy 08:19 AM 09-02-2023
Originally Posted by dolphinsneu:
Idaho is making it a crime to administer an mRNA vaccine.

I don’t get this. It should only be illegal to mandate the vaccine
It's called over reactive virtue signaling
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 08:33 AM 09-02-2023
Originally Posted by FlaChief58:
I don't regret not getting it
Word.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 08:35 AM 09-02-2023
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
I know there are several others that work at hospitals and such on here.
How are your covid numbers? Is your facility getting scared? Are you all preparing for another sustained surge?
The hospital where I work is having my department prepare as we have seen a steady increase in Covid numbers. Our numbers have gone from 5 or less for a while to where we are staying over 15 to 20; this last week, we have been over 30 daily.
We have redeployed a dozen HEPA air scrubbers. We have also had to go back to all the negative pressure settings in all covid areas.
No big changes here as of yet. My wife currently has it, which is her second bout. To the best of my knowledge, I never have.

The CDC dashboard does not do real time tracking for variants in this region anymore. EG.5 is 21.5% of total cases over the previous week. I'm sure that will skyrocket as it crowds out other variants.

The hospitalized numbers here are higher, but I haven't seen many severely ill patients yet.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 08:41 AM 09-02-2023
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
No big changes here as of yet. My wife currently has it, which is her second bout. To the best of my knowledge, I never have.

The CDC dashboard does not do real time tracking for variants in this region anymore. EG.5 is 21.5% of total cases over the previous week. I'm sure that will skyrocket as it crowds out other variants.

The hospitalized numbers here are higher, but I haven't seen many severely ill patients yet.
We have not yet either. No vents or severe reactions to this variant. At least we are preparing just in case instead of waiting until it is over bearing.
Administration is looking at putting the mask requirement back in place which is a downer. Nobody likes to wear those things. Nor do they believe in them.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 09:44 AM 09-02-2023
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Until there's a real effort to get air filtration in schools this will be inevitable this time of year.

I was missing 4-5 from every class Thursday and got voluntold to sub during my plan because of the amount of teachers we have out. We're going on Year 4 and I'm so tired of this shit.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 09:49 AM 09-02-2023
Covid is still a thing?
[Reply]
Page 3901 of 3903
« First < 2901340138013851389138973898389939003901 39023903 >
Up