ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3245 of 3903
« First < 2245274531453195323532413242324332443245 32463247324832493255329533453745 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:55 PM 12-04-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I'm almost sad that there's an actual answer to this, and it's not because I looked for them. There's a story from Amazon's early days when their algorithms would occasionally suggest sex toys to people. There's a story in...maybe a book I read?...about Bezos getting an email about it and forwarding it to the department head with nothing but a "?" in his message. The "?" is apparently dreaded at Amazon. It loosely translates to, "WTF is this. Fix it immediately and convince me that I shouldn't fire you because of it."

I think this was the book fwiw.

https://www.amazon.com/Everything-St.../dp/B00BWQW73E
I’ve ran into this at big companies. It wasn’t a ? But there were keywords in the email subject line that you knew to take serious, and fix it right away. Or else.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:56 PM 12-04-2020
That's like saying Amazon isn't just butt plugs. Facemasks are a tiny sliver of their overall operations.
I believe adhesives are 3M's largest line of business.
[Reply]
stevieray 03:57 PM 12-04-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
#2 one of the vets I’ve worked with in the past volunteered to be a company leader assigned by the military to be responsible for moving the vaccine to the states. Hopefully, it’s just a delivery to United, Delta airlines terminals or refrigerated rail cars and they put it on flights like they explained in the 60 minutes piece.

These are armed active duty military soldiers, ready to go wherever the pallets of vaccine are at that will be deployed to protect the vaccine if necessary. They are already authorized to shoot any would be robbers or unauthorized gangs that try to take the vaccine. But, they are planning a very low profile as to not alarm the general public. No one is expecting any trouble. Just in case break glass plans.
can't be that low profile if you're sharing it here.
[Reply]
KC_Lee 03:59 PM 12-04-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
That's your story and you're sticking to it?
[Reply]
stevieray 03:59 PM 12-04-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
They're huge

I remember when the 3M commercials started playing back in the day and you'd be like: hmm THATS who makes that!
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:02 PM 12-04-2020
Originally Posted by stevieray:
This is all public information. The 4 star general on 60 minutes told the public basically the same thing.

Low profile as in there is not going to be public facing military trucks filled with armed active duty military soldiers following the vaccine trucks.
[Reply]
stevieray 04:06 PM 12-04-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
This is all public information. The 4 star general on 60 minutes told the public basically the same thing.

Low profile as in there is not going to be public facing military trucks filled with armed active duty military soldiers following the vaccine trucks.
light hearted comment
[Reply]
Otter 04:08 PM 12-04-2020
Originally Posted by stevieray:
It's the standard BFQ "LOOK AT ME!" response.

I'd be more surprised if he didn't do it these days.

Cry for attention to fill that insecure hole. You just know this guy was a teacher's pet and a hall monitor.
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:23 PM 12-04-2020
3M is complicit in poisoning everyone on earth, so I'm down with their vaccine distribution strategy.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:31 PM 12-04-2020
I'm almost sad that there's an actual answer to this, and it's not because I looked for them. There's a story from Amazon's early days when their algorithms would occasionally suggest sex toys to people. There's a story in...maybe a book I read?...about Bezos getting an email about it and forwarding it to the department head with nothing but a "?" in his message. The "?" is apparently dreaded at Amazon. It loosely translates to, "WTF is this. Fix it immediately and convince me that I shouldn't fire you because of it."

I think this was the book fwiw.

https://www.amazon.com/Everything-St.../dp/B00BWQW73E
In case anyone cares, here's the excerpt. Found it in another article.

Originally Posted by :
Within Amazon.com (AMZN) there’s a certain type of e-mail that elicits waves of panic. It usually originates with an annoyed customer who complains to the company’s founder and chief executive officer. Jeff Bezos has a public e-mail address, jeff@amazon.com. Not only does he read many customer complaints, he forwards them to the relevant Amazon employees, with a one-character addition: a question mark.

When Amazon employees get a Bezos question mark e-mail, they react as though they’ve discovered a ticking bomb. They’ve typically got a few hours to solve whatever issue the CEO has flagged and prepare a thorough explanation for how it occurred, a response that will be reviewed by a succession of managers before the answer is presented to Bezos himself. Such escalations, as these e-mails are known, are Bezos’s way of ensuring that the customer’s voice is constantly heard inside the company.

One of the more memorable escalations occurred in late 2010. It had come to Bezos’s attention that customers who had browsed the lubricants section of Amazon’s sexual wellness category were receiving personalized e-mails pitching a variety of gels and other intimacy facilitators. When the e-mail marketing team received the question mark, they knew the topic was delicate and nervously put together an explanation. Amazon’s direct marketing tool was decentralized, and category managers could generate e-mail campaigns to customers who had looked at certain product categories but did not make purchases. The promotions tended to work; they were responsible for hundreds of millions of dollars in Amazon’s annual sales. In the matter of the lubricant e-mail, though, a low-level product manager had overstepped the bounds of propriety. But the marketing team never got the chance to send this explanation. Bezos demanded to meet in person.

At Amazon’s Seattle headquarters, Jeff Wilke, the senior vice president for North American retail, Doug Herrington, the vice president for consumables, and Steven Shure, the vice president for worldwide marketing, waited in a conference room until Bezos glided in briskly. He started the meeting with his customary, “Hello, everybody,” and followed with “So, Steve Shure is sending out e-mails about lubricants.”

Bezos likes to say that when he’s angry, “just wait five minutes,” and the mood will pass like a tropical squall. Not this time. He remained standing. He locked eyes with Shure, whose division oversaw e-mail marketing. “I want you to shut down the channel,” he said. “We can build a $100 billion company without sending out a single --*-*-*-*-*- e-mail.”

An animated argument followed. Amazon’s culture is notoriously confrontational, and it begins with Bezos, who believes that truth shakes out when ideas and perspectives are banged against each other. Wilke and his colleagues argued that lubricants were available in supermarkets and drugstores and were not that embarrassing. They also pointed out that Amazon generated a significant volume of sales with such e-mails. Bezos didn’t care; no amount of revenue was worth jeopardizing customer trust. “Who in this room needs to get up and shut down the channel?” he snapped.

Eventually, they compromised. E-mail marketing would be terminated for certain categories such as health and personal care. The company also decided to build a central filtering tool to ensure that category managers could no longer promote sensitive products, so matters of etiquette were not subject to personal taste. For books and electronics and everything else Amazon sold, e-mail marketing lived to fight another day.

Amazon employees live daily with these kinds of fire drills. “Why are entire teams required to drop everything on a dime to respond to a question mark escalation?” an employee once asked at the company’s biannual meeting held at Seattle’s KeyArena, a basketball coliseum with more than 17,000 seats. “Every anecdote from a customer matters,” Wilke replied. “We research each of them because they tell us something about our processes. It’s an audit that is done for us by our customers. We treat them as precious sources of information.”

[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 04:37 PM 12-04-2020
Breaking news there: monopolist is a dickhead to people.
[Reply]
Donger 04:39 PM 12-04-2020
"Intimacy facilitators doesn't" have the same flair.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 04:40 PM 12-04-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Random questions from the mind of TLO: Take a stabat answering if you'd like/have the knowledge

1. What would happen if you somehow accidentally got both the Moderna and Pfizer vaccine within a short period of time? What if the second shot you get doesn't match the first one, would it still work?
1) Higher likelihood of unpleasant side effects
2) Maybe, maybe not. Let's do a hypothetical:

It depends on what type of specific immune response they initiate. Imagine that both A and B are types of antibodies that will both neutralize COVID, and in each case you need 500 of A or 500 of B to protect you from the virus. Pfizer gives you 300 of A and Moderna gives you 300 of B. In this example, I need two Pfizer or Moderna shots to get me over the threshold. Can I get away with one of each? Only if there is enough similarity between A and B to make them somewhat interchangeable. In a scenario where they both provoked the same immune response, then one of either would likely suffice. If those responses are discrete, then no.

Ebolapox would know much more about this as his PhD research was focused on virology, IIRC.

The answer to this question with any traditional small molecule drug would be "it depends." Some drugs act synergistically. Other drugs act antagonistically. Some display almost no effect below a certain plasma concentration, others have a pretty well defined dose-response curve.
[Reply]
suzzer99 05:48 PM 12-04-2020
In case anyone cares, here's the excerpt. Found it in another article.
Oh man I've got about 200 annoyances about working with AWS to send to jeff@amazon.com.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:59 PM 12-04-2020
The government's top infectious-disease expert Anthony Fauci said Friday that he "absolutely" will accept the offer from President-elect Joe Biden to serve as his chief medical adviser, telling NBC's "Today" that he said yes "right on the spot."
[Reply]
Page 3245 of 3903
« First < 2245274531453195323532413242324332443245 32463247324832493255329533453745 > Last »
Up