ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 23 of 34
« First < 131920212223 2425262733 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Best BBQ joint in KC area?
BossChief 12:20 PM 02-07-2015
We are driving down to KC and I usually go to Gates, but want to try something different this time around.

I'm looking to go to the absolute best BBQ joint in the KC area for dinner tonight and figured you guys would know best. Maybe a few of you want to come out and eat with us.

What say you, CP?

(The search function is off or I'd use it.)
[Reply]
Strongside 10:37 PM 04-05-2018
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
Ill say it again ..

Slaps.

They have a jalapeno sausage with a white sauce that is awesome. And their cheesy potato thing is the best
Agree with Slaps. I’ve also become a Blind Box fan recently. That said, I still prefer the shit I cook in my own backyard. Planning on really ramping up my presence in the KCBS this year.
[Reply]
TimBone 11:12 PM 04-05-2018
If you live in Kansas City, and tell me Gates is your favorite bbq, I automatically disregard anynfuether opinions from you.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:38 PM 04-05-2018
Originally Posted by TimBone:
If you live in Kansas City, and tell me Gates is your favorite bbq, I automatically disregard anynfuether opinions from you.
My spidey senses are perked if people say that there is a single favorite spot.

Depends on the specific meats, sauces or sides you're in the mood for, or even whether you're in the mood for the food or the setting.

For instance, KCJoes for brisket and NotLSauce. Jackstack for beans and lamb ribs. Q39 for chicken. LCs for fries.
[Reply]
Al Czervik 11:45 PM 04-05-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:

Depends on the specific meats, sauces or sides you're in the mood for, or even whether you're in the mood for the food or the setting.

For instance, KCJoes for brisket and NotLSauce. Jackstack for beans and lamb ribs. Q39 for chicken. LCs for fries.
KCJoes for Ribs.....
[Reply]
TimBone 12:16 AM 04-06-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:

I can dig that train of thought.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 06:24 AM 04-06-2018
Originally Posted by BWillie:
1. Oklahoma Joes
2. Q39
3. Arthur Bryants
4. Gates
5. Jack Stack
6. Zarda

In that order.

LCs BBQ is ****ing terrible.
I fixed your post, given the options...

But "rabblerouser's smokehouse" should be #1AA.
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:41 AM 04-06-2018
You know you're surrounded by world class bbq options when you order the chicken in KC. I love me some smoked chicken, but the bbq is so shitty here that when I walk into Q39 while back in KC later this month, maybe if there's any room leftover after all the beef and pork have been crushed, I might finally look towards the chicken.

I'd probably eat Zarda once every couple months if they were here.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:44 AM 04-06-2018
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
You know you're surrounded by world class bbq options when you order the chicken in KC. I love me some smoked chicken, but the bbq is so shitty here that when I walk into Q39 while back in KC later this month, maybe if there's any room leftover after all the beef and pork have been crushed, I might finally look towards the chicken.

I'd probably eat Zarda once every couple months if they were here.
I can't say I like BBQ chicken MORE than other meats. But chicken is particularly good at absorbing that smoke. A nice helping of nice smoked chicken is pretty damned good. I'd never order it all by itself, but I include it in the mix on a nice 3 meat platter.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 07:27 AM 04-06-2018
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
You know you're surrounded by world class bbq options when you order the chicken in KC. I love me some smoked chicken, but maybe if there's any room leftover after all the beef and pork have been crushed, I might finally look towards the chicken.

I can honestly say that I have never eaten chicken or lamb at a BBQ joint.

Load me up on pork & beef.
[Reply]
Dunit35 07:32 AM 04-06-2018
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
I can honestly say that I have never eaten chicken or lamb at a BBQ joint.

Load me up on pork & beef.
The lamb ribs at Jack Stack was top notch when I tried it.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 07:55 AM 04-06-2018
I'm thinking of trying out Q39 today for the first time. Other than pulled pork and brisket, what else is recommended?
[Reply]
O.city 08:12 AM 04-06-2018
I like Bryant’s ribs the best

Q39 is solid everywhere but I think has become a bit overrated
[Reply]
Fish 08:15 AM 04-06-2018
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
I'm thinking of trying out Q39 today for the first time. Other than pulled pork and brisket, what else is recommended?
The pork belly apps are pretty awesome. I really like the pulled pork tacos too. The short rib griller is a great sandwich too.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 08:18 AM 04-06-2018
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Burnt end burger is pretty good. The white bean cassoulet is a pretty awesome side.
[Reply]
Dayze 08:27 AM 04-06-2018
Gates blows ass sideways.

Went there for years because it had been ingrained in me since I was a kid that "It's Gates!"....but after I was grown I sort of thought it sucked. Then took a 10 year hiatus, and one day after a Royals game on the way home the wife and I for some reason were wanting to try it again. the 103rd & State Line Location. Ate it, and immediately thought "yep...still sucks". Haven't been back since, and that was probably 9 or 10 years ago. :-).

of all the bbq staples of KC, that one is easily the worst IMO. Sauce is good I suppose.

I'm not suggesting there are 100's of better bbq options around town, just saying it's very very overrated IMO (as are a lot of the BBQ mainstays in kc). and when I want BBQ, it's probably the last place that will come to mind. The best bbq seems to come from hole in the wall places that are scattered all throughout town.

i don't go out to eat for BBQ very often, mainly due to lack of consistency, flavor, and prices. But if I'm going, I'm going to Jack Stack. it might not be the "Best" etc, but it's been the same / really good every time I've been there for 20 years.

I need to try Slaps, however. I need to try Q39.
-Woodyard - eh...wasn't bad, wasn't great. Pretty unmemorable.
-OK Joes - I like it.
-K&M in Spring Hill - used to have a good sammich; but last time I went there was a $3 'upcharge' on a sammich that had beef on it. WTF. Haven't been there in a while.
-The Little Pig in Belton - been years since I've been, but I remember it being pretty tasty (not even sure if it's still there).
-Wabash bbq in Excelsior is pretty good; though, the only thing I've had is a sammich and fries there when we stop off on a bike ride.
-Zarda - it's good if you like smoked lunch meat; because that's what their sammiches taste like.
[Reply]
Page 23 of 34
« First < 131920212223 2425262733 > Last »
Up