ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Man forgets Bitcoin wallet password worth 220 million. Only two guesses left
Deberg_1990 09:04 AM 01-15-2021
https://www.timesnownews.com/the-buz...es-left/707651

Well this would certainly suck.

Stefan Thomas has forgotten his Bitcoin password that will unlock a fortune worth $220 million (Rs 1,800 crore). He has just two attempts left to guess the password.

San Francisco: Ever forgotten your password and after eight desperate attempts left with just two? Stefan Thomas, a German programmer based in San Francisco, cannot remember the password to unlock his Bitcoin fortune worth $220 million (Rs 1,800 crore).

Thomas was given 7,002 bitcoins as payment for making a video explaining how cryptocurrency works over a decade ago. At that time, bitcoins were worth a few dollars. However, their value has surged in the recent months and one Bitcoin is currently worth $34,000.

Thomas had stored the bitcoins in an IronKey digital wallet on a hard drive and written the password on a piece of paper he lost. After 10 failed attempts, the password will encrypt itself and the wallet will be impossible to access. Thomas has just two attempts left.

It has been nine years since he first realised that he was locked out of his account. "There were sort of a couple weeks where I was just desperate, I don't have any other word to describe it. You sort of question your own self-worth. What kind of person loses something that important?" he told ABC7 News.

However, he said, "time heals all wounds," adding that he has "made peace" with his loss.

"It was actually a really big milestone in my life where, like, I sort of realized how I was going to define my self-worth going forward. It wasn't going to be about how much money I have in my bank account," he said.

Thomas would not be the first potential Bitcoin millionaire to be locked out of his account. According to cryptocurrency-data company Chainanalysis, about $140 billion worth of Bitcoin is lost or left in wallets that cannot be accessed.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:14 AM 01-15-2021
I use to mine Bitcoin back in early days. My cut was like 3.5 bitcoins after a couple of months. Wasn't worth it. I think at the time it was like $1 or two. No idea where it is now.
[Reply]
kcxiv 09:17 AM 01-15-2021
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I use to mine Bitcoin back in early days. My cut was like 3.5 bitcoins after a couple of months. Wasn't worth it. I think at the time it was like $1 or two. No idea where it is now.
says in the article 34,000
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 09:21 AM 01-15-2021
Mods! We need a name change here.

BigRedChiefDumbass

:-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:31 AM 01-15-2021
I was in tech early. I tried to convince my wife to buy up domains. At the time it cost $75.00 to park a domain name. The .com wasn't a for sure thing at the time. Most thought it was going to be .biz

I could have had furniture.com which sold for a couple of million later. All the major cities. San Fran, LA etc. Travel.com. Hotel.com it was all there.

We didn't have much money at the time, in fact were below the poverty line and the wife shot down my "bad idea" to waste money on a gamble. I give her shit about it every chance I get.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:34 AM 01-15-2021
This is why you should always tell as many people as possible what your password is.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:37 AM 01-15-2021
Try 000000.
[Reply]
Bowser 09:39 AM 01-15-2021

[Reply]
ChiefBlueCFC 09:48 AM 01-15-2021
Try 000001... no? 000002? sorry
[Reply]
TLO 09:52 AM 01-15-2021
Is there no "forgot your password?" option
[Reply]
ChiefRocka 10:32 AM 01-15-2021
I was in tech early. I tried to convince my wife to buy up domains. At the time it cost $75.00 to park a domain name. The .com wasn't a for sure thing at the time. Most thought it was going to be .biz

I could have had furniture.com which sold for a couple of million later. All the major cities. San Fran, LA etc. Travel.com. Hotel.com it was all there.

We didn't have much money at the time, in fact were below the poverty line and the wife shot down my "bad idea" to waste money on a gamble. I give her shit about it every chance I get.
Check out ENS
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 10:46 AM 01-15-2021
Surely some egghead can help him out, especially if motivated by a couple million dollars in reward money.
[Reply]
Willie Lanier 10:50 AM 01-15-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
This is why you should always tell as many people as possible what your password is.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 10:51 AM 01-15-2021
Stefan1234!
[Reply]
Why Not? 11:00 AM 01-15-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:

[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Up