ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 38 of 72
« First < 283435363738 3940414248 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Most Teams ‘Not Interested’ in Chiefs’ Eric Bieniemy
Mephistopheles Janx 02:37 AM 12-30-2020
https://heavy.com/sports/kansas-city...5-o3CPAb3Zxeek

Originally Posted by :
On a previous episode of the PFN Weekly show, Allbright mentioned that Eric Bieniemy is “a titleholder who relays the play calls in but doesn’t make the play calls very often.”

“Andy Reid’s doing the play calling. Like 99 percent of the time Andy Reid is doing the play calling, he designed the offense, all of that stuff.”

Allbright has also mentioned that Bieniemy’s previous interviews have been poor. These poor interviews have likely caused him to fall out of consideration for certain positions in the past. Allbright mentioned that some teams with vacancies aren’t all that interested in Bieniemy. These historical poor interviews could be a big reason why.

[Reply]
tredadda 08:35 PM 01-15-2021
Originally Posted by penchief:
He’ll probably end up in Houston because they’ll be out of options and appeasing Watson will be their best option. If that happens I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up being the best of the lot. He may not be a play caller but he is definitely a coach.
Definitely see this scenario playing out. The owner is well aware of how much he has angered and alienated his star QB. They almost have to do this or risk losing Watson.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:36 PM 01-15-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
I'd assume because he starts out high on many lists. But once the interviews start if 2 or 3 guys all look really good they decide to go with who they can lock up first.
There have been plenty of teams, Chiefs included, that have waited until the playoffs are over before hiring their head coach so if teams really believe that waiting a few more weeks to get "their guy" is going to somehow negatively affect an already shitty team, they'll be repeating this exercising again soon.
[Reply]
eDave 08:37 PM 01-15-2021
I never understood the hype for him as HC. He's Rooney Rule fodder. Nothing more. Best he remain here anyway.
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:00 AM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Maybe Bieniemy just doesn't interview worth a shit. Maybe Bieniemy is an unrelatable asshole to those who aren't close with him. Maybe he has no filter and tells these owners exactly what he thinks about their teams and players. Maybe a thousand other things than racism, especially in an era where racism is being actively battled by the NFL.

If it truly were a race thing, I'm pretty sure Bieniemy wouldn't be shy about saying so.
How would anyone know if it were truly a race thing? You think owners are going to say "we're going to pass because you're black" in an interview?

Also two things can be true. Bieniemy can be a lousy interview, but also have a higher bar because he's black. It doesn't have to be conscious thing with owners and GMs. I'm not saying they're giant racists, just that they might have racial biases they're not even aware of.

As evidence of a low bar for some, I again offer Mike Fucking McCarthy. What the fuck Jerry Jones saw in him I have no idea.
[Reply]
Chieftain 05:35 AM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger:
You can keep making all the excuses you like...but when white coach's with way less experience or success, continue to get hired over EB then race will be spoken about whether you like it or not. THERE IS A REASON THE ROONEY HAD TO BE PUT IN PLACE...and if you don't understand the reason then I suggest you do some research.
I do believe race plays a factor for certain teams. For example, the Giants hire a nobody like Joe Judge who was a special teams coordinator and they pass on EB. If my memory serves me well, the Giants have never in their history hired a minority head coach. Houston with its racist ownership is another example. You can make an odd case about Jacksonville even though that team is owned by a Pakistani, they have never had a minority head coach and there has never been one under serious consideration. But the most egregious team would have to be the Cowboys. Jerry Jones will never hire a black head coach as long as he breathes oxygen on this earth.
[Reply]
-King- 07:12 AM 01-16-2021
I just can't get over the fact that Brian Daboll is getting so much attention and is supposedly a shoo in for the Chargers job. This is the first year his offense has been in the top 20 in either yards or points.

I don't even understand the fascination with playcalling. Other than with Reid and Payton, the vast majority of head coaches don't call their own plays. So why is that such a big deal?
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 07:32 AM 01-16-2021
So let's look at the list of what teams have done or expected to do.

Jags= college coach with no NFL experience

Jets= defensive coach with a struggling qb and in a division with three other defensive head coaches

Falcons= hired a guy with who was a tight-ends coach the year EB was the OC of the third best offense in NFL history in 2018.

Lions= a tight ends coach who has never called a game in his life

And reports today suggest the Chargers are all in on Brian Daboll and the Eagles are keen on Brandon Staley. So EB's head coaching future is looking more and more likely to be in the hands of Deshaun Watson. Deshaun may need to force the issue for Eric to have a chance with the Texans...otherwise it looks like another year where biased philosophies win again.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that black oc's are rarely hired if ever. Hue Jackson was promoted from OC to HC with the Raiders and Jim Caldwell was promoted at Indy. Anthony Lynn wasn't on a team the time he got the Chargers job and Danny Green was a HC in college. Black coaches who get a shot are usually defensive guys like Dungy, Flores and Tomlin. I haven't found a case yet where a black OC with a team is chosen by another team to be their hc...is this a similar issue to when folks thought black guys couldn't play qb because "they wasn't smart enough"?? We'll see.
[Reply]
tmax63 08:08 AM 01-16-2021
Another reason EB might not be getting picked that nobody talks about is his past as Colorado player and later coach at CU. Nothing major tied directly to him but several smaller things that hot button words in them. Sexual harassment investigation into the program, a DUI and a few others. Nothing completely show-stopping, but if you have two good candidates and 1 has a lot more baggage in the past than the other then owners/GM's will go the safe route. Add in a potential "not a good interview" and you have a great OC for KC for much longer than expected.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 08:09 AM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger:
So let's look at the list of what teams have done or expected to do.

Jags= college coach with no NFL experience

Jets= defensive coach with a struggling qb and in a division with three other defensive head coaches

Falcons= hired a guy with who was a tight-ends coach the year EB was the OC of the third best offense in NFL history in 2018.

Lions= a tight ends coach who has never called a game in his life

And reports today suggest the Chargers are all in on Brian Daboll and the Eagles are keen on Brandon Staley. So EB's head coaching future is looking more and more likely to be in the hands of Deshaun Watson. Deshaun may need to force the issue for Eric to have a chance with the Texans...otherwise it looks like another year where biased philosophies win again.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that black oc's are rarely hired if ever. Hue Jackson was promoted from OC to HC with the Raiders and Jim Caldwell was promoted at Indy. Anthony Lynn wasn't on a team the time he got the Chargers job and Danny Green was a HC in college. Black coaches who get a shot are usually defensive guys like Dungy, Flores and Tomlin. I haven't found a case yet where a black OC with a team is chosen by another team to be their hc...is this a similar issue to when folks thought black guys couldn't play qb because "they wasn't smart enough"?? We'll see.
Jets hired a Muslim. Falcons and lions new GMs are black. Don't overthink this. The more consistent pattern is that over half of this year's hires will probably have a line to parcells or bellichick. The two new black GMs look like they're stuck in this same trap.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 09:18 AM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
I just can't get over the fact that Brian Daboll is getting so much attention and is supposedly a shoo in for the Chargers job. This is the first year his offense has been in the top 20 in either yards or points.

I don't even understand the fascination with playcalling. Other than with Reid and Payton, the vast majority of head coaches don't call their own plays. So why is that such a big deal?
It's a QB centered league. If your head coach can maximize your QB it is a HUGE bonus.

Daboll is a great fit for LAC and what Herbert does well. I think it makes tons of sense.
[Reply]
Bowser 09:25 AM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:

When I think of Brian Daboll, I think of the shit fuck offenses he ran here in KC with the likes of Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn (granted awful talent, but still...). That and the fact he grew out of the "Patriot Way" tree.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 09:28 AM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Jets hired a Muslim. Falcons and lions new GMs are black. Don't overthink this. The more consistent pattern is that over half of this year's hires will probably have a line to parcells or bellichick. The two new black GMs look like they're stuck in this same trap.
The most consistent pattern are no teams have hired a black coach thus far...period.
[Reply]
Coogs 09:35 AM 01-16-2021
Didn't EB say he was not interested in the Texans job a couple of weeks ago?
[Reply]
RealSNR 09:37 AM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
I never understood the hype for him as HC. He's Rooney Rule fodder. Nothing more. Best he remain here anyway.
Just curious how you felt about Doug Pederson and Matt Nagy when they got hired as head coaches.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:43 AM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
It's a QB centered league. If your head coach can maximize your QB it is a HUGE bonus.

Daboll is a great fit for LAC and what Herbert does well. I think it makes tons of sense.
This.

I have no earthly idea why anyone is hiring defensive head coaches right now.

Your little wrinkles on a 4-3 or 3-4 aren't going to make the difference against the great QB's. Oh, that heavy nickel package! Heavens to Betsey, what shall we do!?

The rules are skewed towards offenses.

You must have elite QB play to really be a contender, or at least a 'good' QB capable of running an elite offense.

These teams are just admitting that they'll not be contenders for the next several years, until they start over again.
[Reply]
Page 38 of 72
« First < 283435363738 3940414248 > Last »
Up