ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 12
< 123 4567 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Knowledge Weighs Nothing - Life Hacks, Bushcraft etc
Easy 6 02:08 PM 04-23-2014
Its camping season, so I figured its time for a repository for all of the cool tips and tricks to be found out there that can make your experience easier and more enjoyable... don't wanna pack a tent so you can really rough it? theres a lot of different shelter designs out there, need to start a fire but forgot the lighter? there are tricks out there for that as well.

It can also branch out into cool knowledge that's useful around the home and in life in general, which is why I threw "life hacks" in there... this thread is for outdoorsmen and everyman.

Tell us your trick for saving money around the house, building a fire, catching food, making a field expedient water filter etc.
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:21 PM 04-23-2014
Thanks, Radar.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 03:21 PM 04-23-2014
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Do you put the Vaseline on them first, then stick them in the bag?
Yes.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 03:24 PM 04-23-2014
Originally Posted by scott free:
Thanks, Radar.
For getting rid of them I keep a small coffee can with a little motor oil in it for just such occasions. Throw them in the can, they get covered with oil and suffocate. AND I HOPE IT FUCKING HURTS!!! :-)
[Reply]
vailpass 03:26 PM 04-23-2014
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
Yes.
Gracias...
[Reply]
Radar Chief 03:27 PM 04-23-2014
Been meaning to get one of these and keep it on the Jeep key chain since that's typically what I'm out in.

http://www.tickedoff.com/

Looks to me like a plastic spoon with a small notch cut in the tip should do the same thing.
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:27 PM 04-23-2014
Yes, ticks must pay for their insidiousness, a quick and easy death does not serve justice.
[Reply]
vailpass 03:32 PM 04-23-2014
Salt for the leeches is fun to watch...
[Reply]
Radar Chief 03:34 PM 04-23-2014
Diesel Mechanic buddy’s mom used to be a girl scout leader and she showed us a nifty fire starter trick last time we went out camping. Take a paper egg carton, fill each cup with wood chips (cedar or pine chips from the pet department work great) then cover them with melted wax and throw the carton in your camping gear. When you need to start your camp fire tear off a cup or two and build your tinder around it. Same concept as the cotton balls just different materials.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 03:36 PM 04-23-2014
I just read something the other day about throwing sage on your camp fire to keep the skeeters away. Anyone else heard of that?
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:44 PM 04-23-2014
Diesel Mechanic buddy’s mom used to be a girl scout leader and she showed us a nifty fire starter trick last time we went out camping. Take a paper egg carton, fill each cup with wood chips (cedar or pine chips from the pet department work great) then cover them with melted wax and throw the carton in your camping gear. When you need to start your camp fire tear off a cup or two and build your tinder around it. Same concept as the cotton balls just different materials.
:-) yep, this is a vaseline cottonball on steroids.

Another good medium for the wax to cling to is dryer lint, I keep a ziploc baggie of that in my kit as well... its a free supply that never runs out.
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:45 PM 04-23-2014
I just read something the other day about throwing sage on your camp fire to keep the skeeters away. Anyone else heard of that?
Item #4 in post #4.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 03:54 PM 04-23-2014
Originally Posted by scott free:
Item #4 in post #4.
:-) Teach me to read closer.
Ever tried it? I’ve never had much luck with home remedies like that.
You know the drier sheets in your socks thing? Yea, doesn’t work. Or I’m running through brush too thick for it to work, one of the two.
[Reply]
Marcellus 03:57 PM 04-23-2014
My camping hack is I found a place that rents 27' Campers for about $80 a day. New ones.

It has a hot shower and fridge that runs on propane. I will never sleep in a tent again, ever.
[Reply]
loochy 04:23 PM 04-23-2014
If you have to poop in the wild you can use a leaf to wipe
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:39 PM 04-23-2014
Heres a life hack that should interest just about anyone, speed that computer up...

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/07/to...et-connection/
[Reply]
Page 3 of 12
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up