ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 12
« First < 289101112
Nzoner's Game Room>Knowledge Weighs Nothing - Life Hacks, Bushcraft etc
Easy 6 02:08 PM 04-23-2014
Its camping season, so I figured its time for a repository for all of the cool tips and tricks to be found out there that can make your experience easier and more enjoyable... don't wanna pack a tent so you can really rough it? theres a lot of different shelter designs out there, need to start a fire but forgot the lighter? there are tricks out there for that as well.

It can also branch out into cool knowledge that's useful around the home and in life in general, which is why I threw "life hacks" in there... this thread is for outdoorsmen and everyman.

Tell us your trick for saving money around the house, building a fire, catching food, making a field expedient water filter etc.
[Reply]
srvy 12:23 AM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Yeah he's not doing it the best way, that square opening is where it should be fed, keeping the cup nested

Rub some vaseline on that stuff and it will light up if you even look at it wrong
Yeah, I used to melt paraffin then add lint let solidify remove the cake out of the pan keep it in a baggie and break off pieces.

Some mentioned vasoline before just have yet to try but will.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 10:01 AM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
On a side note ,dryer lint makes great fire starter. Every time you clean your dryer lint trap stuff it in a baggie for SHTF.

I’ll have try that.
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:57 AM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by srvy:
Yeah, I used to melt paraffin then add lint let solidify remove the cake out of the pan keep it in a baggie and break off pieces.

Some mentioned vasoline before just have yet to try but will.
I used to do that as well. Just got lazy about it in recent years.

I used to make char cotton (just cotton balls stretched/flattened charred), slide them into one of those big straws (0.5 inch diameter?) with one end sealed, and pour the melted paraffin in there, pop into the fridge, and an hour later I had a fire-starting stick. Push out of the straw, and cut up into 1 inch 'paraffin cake' pieces.

For use, I just teased out the fibers (if necessary) all around the paraffin cake, and then light. You could light the things with just the sparker from an empty Bic lighter.
[Reply]
ptlyon 12:31 PM 01-16-2021
You can do the wax/paraffin/lint deal in an empty egg carton. 12 separate fire starters.
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:37 PM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
I used to do that as well. Just got lazy about it in recent years.

I used to make char cotton (just cotton balls stretched/flattened charred), slide them into one of those big straws (0.5 inch diameter?) with one end sealed, and pour the melted paraffin in there, pop into the fridge, and an hour later I had a fire-starting stick. Push out of the straw, and cut up into 1 inch 'paraffin cake' pieces.

For use, I just teased out the fibers (if necessary) all around the paraffin cake, and then light. You could light the things with just the sparker from an empty Bic lighter.
Just remembered: the other way to store/carry these is to simply cut the straw into 3-4 inch pieces, put a piece of tape over the open end(s), and now the straw keeps the pieces safely stored in their own sleeve. When needed, simply pull tape off and squeeze out what you need, cut with knife/scissors, and put tape back over the end of the straw.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 12
« First < 289101112
Up