ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Ever since Schwartz declared his return, I haven't been mocking much OL.
Direckshun 08:51 AM 03-01-2021
Anybody else been doing this in their mocks over the last week or two since we've known Schwartz will be returning?

I still see the logic in going OT in the 1st, but with Schwartz on deck for 2021, that means we have two tackles in Schwartz and Niang, with Fisher set to return by playoffs time at least.

We have LDT coming back and some depth options, and I'm currently assuming this team bends over backwards to bring back Remmers.

This team does have needs at center and LG, but I assume they slide Allegretti to center and get a decent FA at LG, or maybe they keep Allegretti where he was and invest at center. Either way, plugging the dam on the OL isn't as daunting now as it was before.

Meanwhile, the team is starving for better tertiary options after Hill and Kelce, and are absolutely dying for better DE talent and linebacker options. (And secondary depth, but every team in the NFL always has secondary depth issues.)

I'm finding myself more and more going DE and WR and LB in the early rounds, and holding off on OL until the midrounds. I've had a couple mocks where I haven't gone OL at all, which I know is unreasonable.

But considering what this team has been able to find at OL in the mid to late rounds, I think it's an interesting proposition that we should prepare ourselves for: a fanbase that will convulse at a lack of draft picks at a perceived need.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:06 PM 03-01-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Hardman was a 2nd round pick. He really needs to contribute more - the team needs him to contribute more.
Yep.

I have no idea why he took a step backward in 2020 but if he doesn't step up this year, I really doubt they bring him back once he's an RFA.
[Reply]
tmax63 06:50 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Well, this is the result of losing both starting tackles and their starting left guard. They had 2 Left Tackles, 4 Left Guards, 4 Right Guards, 4 Right Tackles and 2 Centers last season and despite that fact, they still were in the Super Bowl.

Wasting a 1st round pick on a guy to sit on the bench behind Schwartz or Fisher is a massive misuse of valuable resources that could be used elsewhere.
Assuming they both going to be a full "go" next year is a mighty big risk. Saying that they'll be fine a month into repair and rehab is going out on a limb in my book. If this was July I'd be thrilled but it's early March and there's a long ways to go. I disagree that it's a waste of resources. No team complains about having too many good OL and it gives them flexibility when it comes contract time.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:51 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by tmax63:
Assuming they both going to be a full "go" next year is a mighty big risk. Saying that they'll be fine a month into repair and rehab is going out on a limb in my book. If this was July I'd be thrilled but it's early March and there's a long ways to go. I disagree that it's a waste of resources. No team complains about having too many good OL and it gives them flexibility when it comes contract time.
No team has two starting tackles and starting quality tackles riding the bench behind them.

If they're ready to go, they're ready to go and whoever is behind them will be a stop gap at best.
[Reply]
kcbubb 10:49 PM 03-10-2021
Originally Posted by tmax63:
We can sign some cheap free agent tackles to help this year. More will be available with the cap going down. We have to assume some risk. We aren’t cutting fisher. But having a starting quality tackle on the bench is not a good option when we could have addressed edge, wr or corner. Loosing both offensive tackles to injury was a weird year.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Up