ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Guys, it's not negotiable. You need to give Mahomes premium weapons in your mocks.
Direckshun 12:58 PM 02-26-2021
The Bucs were probably going to win the Super Bowl no matter what, but we are deluding ourselves if we are creating mock offseasons that don't give Mahomes at least 2 more premium weapons.

We routinely get excellent mock offseasons on this forum, and this week has been no exception, but c'mon.

You need to either give Mahomes a top flight #2 and #3 receiving option, or you need to give him a top flight #2 WR and a top flight #2 TE.

Teams are going to throw all their resources at Kelce and Hill in 2021. You can't snag one really good WR and wipe your hands clean of the problem -- you need multiple tertiary options because someone's going to get injured in or around 2021.

I know there's a ton of needs, but protecting Mahomes and giving him more weapons need to be at the top of the list, and if your mock offseason doesn't, it's not passing the smell test here.
[Reply]
kccrow 02:42 PM 03-01-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
We aren't getting Bateman.

Dyami Brown is meh. He can play and be a suitable #2. The analytics guys love him but I see a guy who delays routes to stutter step open. That won't fly at the next level. Weak at catch point.

Maybe he can be a Gabe Davis but I still think Davis is overrated.
Glad you noticed that. Split end x receivers that don't get a free release from the slot or Z like guys like Toney did for a majority of their careers often use jab and stutter steps to set up the defender and get by them. It's a good trait. He doesn't do it when he's not facing press.

You don't average 20 ypc by sucking ass and getting open too slow.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 02:50 PM 03-01-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Glad you noticed that. Split end x receivers that don't get a free release from the slot or Z like guys like Toney did for a majority of their careers often use jab and stutter steps to set up the defender and get by them. It's a good trait. He doesn't do it when he's not facing press.

You don't average 20 ypc by sucking ass and getting open too slow.
College and NFL are two different levels. We will have to agree to disagree on him.
[Reply]
kccrow 02:52 PM 03-01-2021
College and NFL are two different levels. We will have to agree to disagree on him.
Fine with me. He doesn't have anything slow in his route running at all. He's one of the receivers I want most for the Chiefs to draft.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 03:13 PM 03-01-2021
Fine with me. He doesn't have anything slow in his route running at all. He's one of the receivers I want most for the Chiefs to draft.
Ruggs was way faster than Dyami Brown last year but his sloppiness and delaying of his routes was one of the reasons why I placed him behind Justin Jefferson when most of the mock draft sites were too high on Ruggs.

All the speed in the world can be slowed down with delays you do to yourself.
[Reply]
Kiimo 08:39 PM 03-01-2021
Trade up for Rashod Bateman. He's Sammy V2
[Reply]
kccrow 11:04 PM 03-01-2021
Ruggs was way faster than Dyami Brown last year but his sloppiness and delaying of his routes was one of the reasons why I placed him behind Justin Jefferson when most of the mock draft sites were too high on Ruggs.

All the speed in the world can be slowed down with delays you do to yourself.
That's fine, we can disagree. I just don't see what you say you're seeing with him. The only time I see him use jabs and stutters is against press and he does them without slowing down his route.

si.com (https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/draft/...er-dyami-brown) seems to agree with me when they say this:

Originally Posted by :
At the line of scrimmage, Brown uses quick and precise footwork to get a good release. He doesn't waste much movement in his feet and almost never runs sloppy routes. He's a smart player who doesn't have elite traits, so he wins with toughness and technique throughout his reps. Brown is also a more than willing run blocker, as that was one of the best parts of his game in college.
I wasn't much the Ruggs fan. Jaylen Waddle is this year's overhyped version.

Everybody is the next Reek. Except they aren't.

Will Fuller, John Ross, Henry Ruggs, now Waddle... blah.

You're right about that, speed only goes so far. I remember going off my rocker over Smith from Ohio State a few years back only for him to suck complete ass because I was 1) blindly being a homer and 2) not paying enough attention to his route running.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 08:48 AM 03-02-2021
That's fine, we can disagree. I just don't see what you say you're seeing with him. The only time I see him use jabs and stutters is against press and he does them without slowing down his route.

si.com (https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/draft/...er-dyami-brown) seems to agree with me when they say this:

I wasn't much the Ruggs fan. Jaylen Waddle is this year's overhyped version.

Everybody is the next Reek. Except they aren't.

Will Fuller, John Ross, Henry Ruggs, now Waddle... blah.

You're right about that, speed only goes so far. I remember going off my rocker over Smith from Ohio State a few years back only for him to suck complete ass because I was 1) blindly being a homer and 2) not paying enough attention to his route running.

I still had Ruggs as a 1st round pick, just a guy late 1st.

It scared me when I heard we were thinking about trading up for him.

Still, Ruggs or Will Fuller would be enough to replace Sammy. They might not be super versatile but at least they give you a true vertical 2.

Ruggs does one run an incredible hitch and go that is ELITE. Unfortunately his other routes are delayed.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:06 PM 03-04-2021
I'm all in on Amari Rodgers. I also like Nico Collins.

I think either would be great 'X' guys for the Chiefs.

Different skillsets but I think either could work great.
[Reply]
Bowser 02:31 PM 03-04-2021
A viable receiver at the X and a viable receiving #2 TE. That's what I want from this draft and/or FA period. Throw the entire rest of the draft at fatties on both sides of the ball (an EDGE or two wouldn't hurt out of the draft as well), and I'm a happy guy.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:43 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Throw the entire rest of the draft at fatties on both sides of the ball
No way.
[Reply]
kccrow 04:55 PM 03-04-2021
Came across this little gem on Dyami Brown.

[Reply]
Bowser 09:07 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
No way.
(I just really want a true X and a true #2 TE, that's all. I know we need depth everywhere, but please baby Jesus, just give me those two things. :-) )
[Reply]
Bowser 09:11 PM 03-04-2021
Mock drafts on these sites being what they are, Dyami Brown is pretty consistently available in the 3/4 rounds. Is his weight a concern? Everything else looks pretty damned appealing, not seeing why he would drop that low with his production the last couple of seasons at UNC.
[Reply]
kccrow 09:31 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Mock drafts on these sites being what they are, Dyami Brown is pretty consistently available in the 3/4 rounds. Is his weight a concern? Everything else looks pretty damned appealing, not seeing why he would drop that low with his production the last couple of seasons at UNC.
The two things I think people focus on are:
I don't think either are deal-breakers for me but maybe they are for some. I'll take the kid that runs phenomenal routes over most other traits all day long in the NFL. Just marry him to the jugs machine for a couple of seasons just to be safe haha.

He may be a very top of the 3rd player but he's certainly not a bottom of the 3rd. If the Chiefs like him, I think he's gotta be the pick at 63.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 09:38 PM 03-04-2021
The two things I think people focus on are:
  • He had some concentration drops last year in a couple of games, notably the FSU game. I don't know that it's a problem, as it never seemed to be something that stuck out game after game, but people find every way possible to knock a guy this time of year.
  • He doesn't create after the catch quite as well as some other prospects.

I don't think either are deal-breakers for me but maybe they are for some. I'll take the kid that runs phenomenal routes over most other traits all day long in the NFL. Just marry him to the jugs machine for a couple of seasons just to be safe haha.

He may be a very top of the 3rd player but he's certainly not a bottom of the 3rd. If the Chiefs like him, I think he's gotta be the pick at 63.
For Dyami it is not about deal breaking as deal making. I don't see anything that doesn't say more than just a guy NFL.

He has good size but doesn't use it. Doesn't have go get the ball ability or burner traits. And the route running is not NFL plus either.

So he will be playable in the NFL. Just don't see impact..kinda different but I felt similarly when Zay Jones was being promoted over Godwin and JuJu.

Then again, maybe we just see this WR class differently because you said you don't like Waddle and for me he is WR #1..even over Chase.

There is wow there.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Up