ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 40
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The logic of drafting OT in the 1st.
Direckshun 01:23 PM 01-21-2021
What we know about this team is that it typically likes to fill its roster out as much as possible in free agency and then spend its highest picks on potential replacements for job openings a year down the road, and that includes Veach.

I doubt I even need to run down the list but:

2020: CEH --> Williams
2019: Hardman --> Hill/Watkins
2018: Speaks --> Ford/Houston
2017: Mahomes --> Smith

Fisher will be on the last year of his contract, and most of us suspect Schwartz retiring.

The Chiefs obviously like Niang but going OT 1st gives them the options:It just seems like the kind of move that gives them the flexibility in future decisions that they like to have.

I'd rather they go DE, even if it means trading up for one. But based on what we know, OT could ostensibly solve up to two different OL spots in 2021 and gives them all kinds of options in 2022 based on how 2021 goes.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:10 PM 01-23-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
1)CEH was a great pick, no doubt. But I don't think anyone's saying that we need to drop our #1 on a guard. The Bills sold out to stop big passing plays, and so we ran it down their throats behind Allegretti and Kilgore almost exclusively, and both of those guys are better run blockers than they players they replaced. We have some issues running the ball; I don't think it's all about the backs. We have some issues in pass pro- we have issues controlling the line of scrimmage. I think Reiter's pretty lousy whatever some guy at CBS thinks. If he's going to get $11 million, good for him. We can do better anyway, which is really my point. Add to that Schwartz is MIA and big guys with bad backs over 30 don't usually get better and I think there's cause for maybe looking at restocking the line. That's not crazy.
It is most certainly about the running backs. Does anyone really think that Damien Williams wouldn't have been a huge upgrade over Darwin Award Thompson, Leveon Bell and Darrel Williams?

Even you just stated that they ran the ball effectively against the Bills and that was with three replacements on the offensive line.

2) obviously, Reid's offense is about skill position players; and we have Hill, Kelce, Hardman, and CEH for 2021 as well as Pringle who looks at least as good as Robinson. Watkins never plays anyway so whatever. It's probably time to draft some new blood in there for depth and development but I'll remind you that only CEH is a #1, and that was at #32. Other than Mahomes, of course, who is what really makes things go. No rookie WR is going to start anyway, it's not gonna happen. The offense is too complicated.
Pringle is a JAG and I don't buy the idea that a rookie wide receiver couldn't compete in Week 1, especially since we've seen so many rookies over the past two years impress, regardless of the system.

3)I don't think anyone's saying we need to spend a bunch of #1's on the line. Reid and Veach thus far have taken the path of UDFA and low picks in numbers to develop and hit on one here and there. That's cool, and cost effective. It's just that we might want to move it up the priority list a little and maybe get a guy that's more ready to play sooner than later, as we've got one quality starter under contract for 2021 that might be healthy. That's it. ONE. And Fisher's had injury problems that last two years too. Actually, I like Alegretti, so call it two. Like on the whole line.
LDT will be returning in 2021, so the Chiefs have their Left Tackle, Left Guard and Right Guard under contract next season, along with Schwartz, who until he announces his retirement, is still on the roster.

4) Mahomes likes to chuck it 50 yards downfield. You need more than 2.2 seconds to do that, even when it's Tyreek.
Mahomes has a quick release when he wants to use it but you can't blame the offensive line for not holding their blocks for 7 seconds at a time in order for Mahomes to find the open man downfield.

That's going to happen whether or not the Chiefs have their current personnel or replaced them with five 1st round draft picks. That's asking WAY too much from the lineman.

I don't think it's nuts to maybe spend a mid round pick (you know, kind of like Veach and Reid did last season) on an offensive lineman.
I don't think that anyone would disagree that the Chiefs should spend a Day 3 pick on at least one offensive lineman.

Also-I said when we signed Bell (and before, when people wanted to sign him before the season) that his style wasn't a very good fit for a team with a less than average line. That's kind of just proven out.
Who wanted to "sign" Bell before the season and how could the Chiefs "sign him" when he was under contract to the Jets?

Damien can't be a bellcow, he can't stay healthy, you're right. Of course, with CEH here, he becomes the #2. That's probably fine.
Williams will be 29 to start the season and won't have played organized football in more than 18 months to start the 2021 season.

I hope he's healthy but there's no way the Chiefs should go into the season thinking that their running back situation has been resolved for the foreseeable future.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:03 PM 01-23-2021
I don't think that anyone would disagree that the Chiefs should spend a Day 3 pick on at least one offensive lineman.-Dane

that's all I've been saying. All other arguments are chicken-and-egg arguments and shades of gray.

I'd like to see a mid-rounder or possibly two as I think it's the #1 weakness at the moment.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:02 PM 01-24-2021
I think the logic for drafting an OT in the first rd just went up about 50% unfortunately
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 09:07 PM 01-24-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I think the logic for drafting an OT in the first rd just went up about 50% unfortunately
Yep, Veach may trade up for a LT because of Fisher's fucked up Achilles
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:09 PM 01-24-2021
Yeah I think we're going to need an OT.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:22 PM 01-24-2021
It sucks but I think at this point we need to put on the full court press and get an OT and a WR early
[Reply]
kccrow 09:44 PM 01-24-2021
If Fisher tore his Achilles, that certainly does ramp up the need. It's rare a player is back anywhere near 100% in year 1 after the injury.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:49 PM 01-24-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
If Fisher tore his Achilles, that certainly does ramp up the need. It's rare a player is back anywhere near 100% in year 1 after the injury.
And with the timing of the injury, highly unlikely he's ready for the start of the season.

:reaches longingly for Terrance Marshall Jr:

:sighs. Takes Alijah Vera-Tucker instead:
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:20 PM 01-24-2021
and of course...I really think this defense is one good pass rusher away from being dominant.

But damn. Might have to go OT.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:45 PM 01-24-2021
and of course...I really think this defense is one good pass rusher away from being dominant.

But damn. Might have to go OT.
There are a lot of guys that would fit. Puts a lot more pressure on Niang coming back and contributing SOMETHING.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 10:49 PM 01-24-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I do question him not wanting to be around for his rookie season. I get that COVID is "no joke" but are top athletes really an at risk group? I don't know, I'm not going to label him a pussy but it just doesn't sit well for me especially in that toughness department.
AMEN AND AMEN

What does it say about a kid's character and desire to play in the NFL especially being drafted by the defending SB champs knowing you have a great chance to repeat and protect the GOAT QB ??

Right now Niang will have to prove himself to me because right now he is on my sh** list.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:54 PM 01-24-2021
Still doesn’t mean that you have to take one in the first round.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:02 PM 01-24-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
There are a lot of guys that would fit. Puts a lot more pressure on Niang coming back and contributing SOMETHING.
I kind of like Leatherwood or Jalen Mayfield at the end of the first. I think either could possibly play day 1.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:03 PM 01-24-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
most quality LT's are first rounders.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:04 PM 01-24-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Agreed. This is a deep class and Andy is masterful with the OL.

If that’s BPA, then go ahead, but no pressure to do it in the 1st.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 40
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up