ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 18
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Media Center>Video Card chat
Mephistopheles Janx 03:06 PM 11-06-2020
I just picked up a new monitor (34" Ultra Wide 1440p 144MHz 1500R Curve Samsung Panel -VA) to replace my 3 monitor setup (24" ASUS 1080p). Now I need a new video card to drive the monitor.

My current rig is:

Intel Core i-7 4770k Processor
32GB DDR3 Memory
Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 Motherboard
Radeon RX 570 Video Card

This card is going to struggle to push anything more than low to medium graphics on games with this new monitor. Where I'm torn is the cost of new video cards.

If I'm looking hard enough, I can stumble across an open box 5600 for $200 or $230 new. A 5700 for $320 (open box) or $350 new. But at that point... why would I just not drop another $100 for the 6700 at $449?

Ultimately... that makes the 5700 a non player and I'm left choosing between a 5600 at $230 or a 6700 at $450. I'd rather not spend an extra $220 but I feel like the 6700 would probably be the last video card my current build sees.

Then what about the 20x series by nVidia? By paying a touch more I get Ray Tracing which is cool but I'm not paying for a 2080, for what I would pay for a 2070 I may as well snag one of the new AMD cards. A 2060 is going for $320 new... I don't know that Ray Tracing is worth nearly $100.

Better yet... do any of you fellow nerds have an itch to update and want to sell me their 5k/20x series cards?
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 07:04 AM 12-07-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
FYI... This monitor has gotten really good reviews from multiple sources. Both GSync and FreeSync compatible. 165Hz capable with DisplayPort connection. Supposed to be a real steal for the price point:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CNDK2XG...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Not a fan of that resolution. Much prefer 3440x1440. If you are gonna go "wide screen" then... go WIDE SCREEN.
[Reply]
Fish 12:21 AM 12-08-2020
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
Not a fan of that resolution. Much prefer 3440x1440. If you are gonna go "wide screen" then... go WIDE SCREEN.
Not sure how you can say you're not a fan of that resolution... Your monitor is a fucking beauty for sure. But....

3440x1440 results in a 21:9 native aspect ratio that can currently be a real mess for lots of media. Older games don't handle it well. Lots of times, the format just gets stretched, and it looks really weird. Or worse, just cut off. Newer games are OK, and future games should be OK though. But still, many require adjustments to the FOV to make the games look right because it's not a native aspect ratio the game was meant to run at. Same thing goes for older movies, and most TV. They just weren't made for showing in 21:9 format. None of the current streaming platforms work natively in 21:9 aspect ratio except Netflix using the Edge browser or a 3rd party browser extension for Chrome/Firefox. Nothing worse than have a huge beautiful monitor, just for the media to put black bars on the last 6" of both ends of the screen.

That said, for games/movies made to handle that format, it's pretty fucking incredible. Very immersive and gorgeous. But that doesn't cover enough available media at the moment, IMO. I considered 3440x1440, but after reading lots of reviews and recommendations, I'm pretty happy I went with 2560x1440. That still maintains the much more popular 16:9 aspect ratio that all existing media/games use. No need for adjusting FOV for different games, and basically all other media displays in native aspect ratio.

:-)
[Reply]
BigBeauford 09:52 AM 12-08-2020
Not sure how you can say you're not a fan of that resolution... Your monitor is a ****ing beauty for sure. But....

3440x1440 results in a 21:9 native aspect ratio that can currently be a real mess for lots of media. Older games don't handle it well. Lots of times, the format just gets stretched, and it looks really weird. Or worse, just cut off. Newer games are OK, and future games should be OK though. But still, many require adjustments to the FOV to make the games look right because it's not a native aspect ratio the game was meant to run at. Same thing goes for older movies, and most TV. They just weren't made for showing in 21:9 format. None of the current streaming platforms work natively in 21:9 aspect ratio except Netflix using the Edge browser or a 3rd party browser extension for Chrome/Firefox. Nothing worse than have a huge beautiful monitor, just for the media to put black bars on the last 6" of both ends of the screen.

That said, for games/movies made to handle that format, it's pretty ****ing incredible. Very immersive and gorgeous. But that doesn't cover enough available media at the moment, IMO. I considered 3440x1440, but after reading lots of reviews and recommendations, I'm pretty happy I went with 2560x1440. That still maintains the much more popular 16:9 aspect ratio that all existing media/games use. No need for adjusting FOV for different games, and basically all other media displays in native aspect ratio.

:-)
Yup, that's why I went with a 27 inch Monitor at that resolution.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 12:38 PM 12-18-2020
Dude loves the Chiefs and high FPS.

[Reply]
vailpass 03:44 PM 12-18-2020
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
Dude loves the Chiefs and high FPS.

If the Witcher can't rock 4k at 120fps who can?
[Reply]
BigBeauford 04:26 PM 12-18-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
If the Witcher can't rock 4k at 120fps who can?
Hehe, nice little double entendre.
[Reply]
Fish 04:00 PM 01-03-2021
Still cannot find a RTX 30X0 series card anywhere. Fucking bullshit. Got a pile of money set aside already, it's winter and nasty outside which is perfect for gaming, upgraded almost all other components of my system including a beefy 850W power supply needed for these big ass power hungry cards, but nah... Out of stock everywhere except a few shady Amazon sellers offering them for double the retail price. Stupid.
[Reply]
vailpass 04:21 PM 01-03-2021
Still cannot find a RTX 30X0 series card anywhere. ****ing bullshit. Got a pile of money set aside already, it's winter and nasty outside which is perfect for gaming, upgraded almost all other components of my system including a beefy 850W power supply needed for these big ass power hungry cards, but nah... Out of stock everywhere except a few shady Amazon sellers offering them for double the retail price. Stupid.
Don’t feel lonely. I put my name on the waitlist with EVGA over a month ago and am just standing by until the supply chain dam breaks. I have all parts except gpu to do my son’s new build.

Did you see Corsair has a 12 pin power cable just for the 30x0 series so you don’t have to use the adapter? Good looking cable too. This cable has been out of stock for a month but I checked again last week and they’re available now. Got mine at Best Buy. So at least things are coming back in stock in some areas.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Catego...e/p/CP-8920274
[Reply]
Fish 04:41 PM 01-03-2021
Yeah, I already have a modular 12pin cable for the future card. Didn't know about the EVGA queue thing though. Thanks for that. I signed up for several of their models.
[Reply]
vailpass 04:49 PM 01-03-2021
Yeah, I already have a modular 12pin cable for the future card. Didn't know about the EVGA queue thing though. Thanks for that. I signed up for several of their models.
I like that they are taking steps to eliminate bots in an equitable way. Good luck man :-)
[Reply]
Pants 08:42 PM 01-03-2021
Strong rumors about SUPERS coming out in the not so distant future.
[Reply]
Fish 07:55 PM 01-06-2021
Rumors circulating about some "Ultra" versions being released of the 30X0 line. In specific, an Asus RTX 3060 with 12GB of RAM.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:49 AM 01-07-2021
including a beefy 850W power supply
That's it? :-)
[Reply]
Fish 08:40 AM 01-07-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
That's it? :-)
Heh.. Those 30X0 cards are power hungry sumbitches. I watched a video the other day where Linus put 2 3090 cards in SLI mode. The 1000W PS in the test machine still wasn't enough to run a game. Died about 5 seconds into gameplay. They had to find a 1600W PS to test it. :-)
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 10:26 AM 01-07-2021
Do you think I could power a GTX 3060 TI on a 750w PS? I haven't kept too up to date on things. I just upgraded an old Core i3 (2013) to a new one so piecemealing things here and there.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 18
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up