ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 42 of 319
« First < 323839404142 434445465292142 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Veach's '21 Offseason Plan to Keep Us Thriving: Let's speculate
Dante84 10:03 AM 02-08-2021
In order to prevent us wasting precious years of Patrick Mahomes' career, Veach needs to work some magic this offseason. What's your advice for him?
[Reply]
smithandrew051 01:19 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Oh I don’t like the thought of that either, but luckily it’s just a worst case. I’m sure the situation will be better than that.
[Reply]
RunKC 01:20 PM 02-11-2021
You know, I wonder if Justin Britt could be our starting C next year. It’s clearly crossed Veach’s mind.

The guy was looked at in the draft as a C but Seattle put him at Tackle and he looked horrible. Then they moved him to LG and he looked much better over time.
Then they moved him to C where he was so good that he was a pro bowl alternate.

Sucks that he had a bad knee injury but that was in October of 2019. I think it could be worth a shot if his medicals clear. The kid is only 29.
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:20 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I'm totally assuming they extend/restructure Fisher.

I still don't think we have money for a starting level LT free agent unless it's something like old man Peters, which I'm in favor of. I wouldn't expect HIM to make it through a full season at LT either, which is why I'm for drafting a potential LT pretty early.

I'm hedging my bets in case of more catastrophic injury problems moving forward. Giving Mahomes time is paramount.
If they extend Fisher....then they aren’t drafting his replacement. They’ll find a stop gap in FA or already on the roster.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:21 PM 02-11-2021
I'm totally assuming they extend/restructure Fisher.

I still don't think we have money for a starting level LT free agent unless it's something like old man Peters, which I'm in favor of. I wouldn't expect HIM to make it through a full season at LT either, which is why I'm for drafting a potential LT pretty early.

I'm hedging my bets in case of more catastrophic injury problems moving forward. Giving Mahomes time is paramount.
I just don't see it.

I see the Fisher vs. drafted LT situation to be either/or. If they redo Fisher, it will be with the idea that he's coming back long-term and they'll sign a stop-gap to bridge.

The only way they draft a LT is if Fisher is no longer in the long-term plans.

That doesn't preclude them from drafting a RIGHT tackle but then they'd be looking at moving Niang inside.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:22 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
If they extend him, they won't be letting him go in a year. That would be cost prohibitive unless they structure it as a 1-year deal. Do you think Fisher would agree to that? I don't.
they can't cut him.

They can't pay him $15m.

They're going to have to do SOMETHING.

They can't go into the season with Remmers or Rankin (who apparently can't beat out Remmers) at LT.

If you think you can get 10 games out of Peters I guess you could do that.

But I'd rather a guy like that was insurance, and you had talented youth in the house.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:22 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
How many teams have that kind of depth?
Exactly.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:23 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
You know, I wonder if Justin Britt could be our starting C next year. It’s clearly crossed Veach’s mind.

The guy was looked at in the draft as a C but Seattle put him at Tackle and he looked horrible. Then they moved him to LG and he looked much better over time.
Then they moved him to C where he was so good that he was a pro bowl alternate.

Sucks that he had a bad knee injury but that was in October of 2019. I think it could be worth a shot if his medicals clear. The kid is only 29.
I've said that like 10 times.
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:24 PM 02-11-2021
I think this last year was never going to be a year where they plugged in guys to see what they are capable of. We were running it back. That means we aren’t plugging in guys with no experience. I think that’s why we didn’t see Rankin.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:24 PM 02-11-2021
I've said that like 10 times.
If the Chiefs liked what they saw in his workout, they would have signed him.

Dude's a JAG, anyway.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:28 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Exactly.
Well, after your insistence that Reid can scheme around any talent deficiencies on the line, you'll excuse me if I ignore your opinion.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:34 PM 02-11-2021
they can't cut him.

They can't pay him $15m.

They're going to have to do SOMETHING.

They can't go into the season with Remmers or Rankin (who apparently can't beat out Remmers) at LT.

If you think you can get 10 games out of Peters I guess you could do that.

But I'd rather a guy like that was insurance, and you had talented youth in the house.
I get that.

But in your scenario, the most likely "something" is them signing him to a deal that's cut friendly after 1 year.

I don't see any reason why Eric Fisher would agree to that at all. You'd think he'd just sit on his ass and get paid. They can't cut him, he has all the leverage.

I think the more likely scenario, given that they need some of his cap hit back, is that they resign him to a deal that gives him more long-term security. Which means HE is the long-term plan and a LT in the draft is no longer an option.
[Reply]
Hoover 01:41 PM 02-11-2021
Who says Fisher gets his spot back when he returns?

I think you extend him to a realistic deal. If the Chiefs hit on a LT in the draft great, maybe Fish goes to RT or moves inside.
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:45 PM 02-11-2021
The only logical thing I can see where they extend Fisher and draft a replacement is signing him to a 2 year deal to lower his cap hit this year. You draft a replacement and then you see how Fisher comes back from his injury. If he is good...then you give him a new deal and his replacement plays RT. If not....then you have his replacement.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:51 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by Hoover:
Who says Fisher gets his spot back when he returns?

I think you extend him to a realistic deal. If the Chiefs hit on a LT in the draft great, maybe Fish goes to RT or moves inside.
They're not going to draft a LT and then have a competition. Eric Fisher is the entrenched starter, he's either in the long-term plans or he's not. He's not going to take some discount or team-friendly deal - he has all the leverage.

And there's no way he plays at RT. One, he'd never agree to it because he's not going to lose his job to injury and two, his skillset doesn't really fit anyway.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:52 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
The only logical thing I can see where they extend Fisher and draft a replacement is signing him to a 2 year deal to lower his cap hit this year. You draft a replacement and then you see how Fisher comes back from his injury. If he is good...then you give him a new deal and his replacement plays RT. If not....then you have his replacement.
But if you're Fisher, why would you agree to that? He doesn't have an injury history at all. He'd basically just give up his all of his leverage to do the Chiefs a solid?

I don't see it.
[Reply]
Page 42 of 319
« First < 323839404142 434445465292142 > Last »
Up