ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 152 of 319
« First < 52102142148149150151152 153154155156162202252 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Veach's '21 Offseason Plan to Keep Us Thriving: Let's speculate
Dante84 10:03 AM 02-08-2021
In order to prevent us wasting precious years of Patrick Mahomes' career, Veach needs to work some magic this offseason. What's your advice for him?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:31 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
A mid-round tackle, guard or center?

Unless something happens with Schwartz or Fisher's rehab, I don't really understand the need to draft yet another tackle in the first 3 rounds, which is something they did last year.

A late round guard or center? Sure, no problem, they need depth at those position or at least one guy versatile enough to play inside or at center.

But it just doesn't make any sense to me to draft a tackle when they're heading into the season with Fisher, Schwartz, Niang and most likely, a true veteran Swing Tackle, especially considering they could use their first three picks on starters, whether it's at Safety or CB or DE or LB or WR.

Those skill position guys are far more important, IMO, than drafting a tackle to sit on the bench.
I guess the real discussion is this-

We can either throw cap dollars at the line, or we can draft young players. I'd like to get younger and cheaper there, while improving the talent level.

I don't think anybody wants to see a scenario where the SB happens again.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:35 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Where is that "better-than-Reiter-for-less-money" center coming from?
doesn't have to be LESS money. Just a better player. How about Linsley?

Or you could draft a Creed Humphrey.

Or you could draft a Humphrey/Josh Myers and hedge your bet with a cheap vet like Britt.
[Reply]
RunKC 02:48 PM 03-04-2021
A mid-round tackle, guard or center?

Unless something happens with Schwartz or Fisher's rehab, I don't really understand the need to draft yet another tackle in the first 3 rounds, which is something they did last year.

A late round guard or center? Sure, no problem, they need depth at those position or at least one guy versatile enough to play inside or at center.

But it just doesn't make any sense to me to draft a tackle when they're heading into the season with Fisher, Schwartz, Niang and most likely, a true veteran Swing Tackle, especially considering they could use their first three picks on starters, whether it's at Safety or CB or DE or LB or WR.

Those skill position guys are far more important, IMO, than drafting a tackle to sit on the bench.
I think I would only draft a tackle if it was truly the best position there in the mid rounds. It’s not likely but it has happened before. As it stands I think you’ve got a very good 3rd tackle option in Niang.

Generally I think we need to bolster the depth on the OL and push for competition. Anywhere from rd 5 on doesn’t bother me. Get those Zach Fulton’s LDT’s and Allegretti’s. By all means load up. Ideally I’d like to replicate what we did in 2015 when we drafted Fulton and LDT in the later rounds.

This is Patrick’s last cheap year so we’re going to need to move off of guys like LDT (who is in a contract year anyway).

You know the more I think about this the more I believe they’ll keep Reiter. C is the only position I could see them drafting early on the OL unless a badass tackle somehow falls to us, but I believe that with no OTA’s and a weird training camp they will not want a starting C week 1. It’s just too much to learn with these type of limits.

I’m 100% with you on the weapons. At this point it’s 3rd receiving option and pass rusher as biggest needs in my eyes.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:04 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I guess the real discussion is this-

We can either throw cap dollars at the line, or we can draft young players. I'd like to get younger and cheaper there, while improving the talent level.
The Chiefs don't have any cap dollars to throw at the offensive line, so much like last year, the Chiefs will rely on cheap veteran lineman, like Remmers, to sign Vet Minimum deals.

The Chiefs are going into the season with Fisher, Allegretti, LDT, Schwartz, Niang, Rankin and Wylie.

They'll probably need three more quality backup type players, so most likely, one may come from the draft and two from cheap free agency. Or maybe they grab two guards late, as they did in 2014.

I just can't see them overhauling the entire offensive line in one offseason, especially given that there have been no parameters set in terms in in-building workouts, Minicamps and OTA's.
[Reply]
BossChief 03:11 PM 03-04-2021
If it would cost 8-10m to bring Reiter back, I’d much rather spend 12-13 to upgrade to a guy that a better pass protector (Reiters strength) and be a massive upgrade in the running game. If we can bring Reiter back on a reasonable deal (4-5m per year) I think that may be a wise option to pursue...but he will likely get more than that as a rock solid pass protecting center.

This team has been weak in short yardage runs for years now and signing Linsley would fix that problem. It would also give us a center that can single block good DL to open up double teams elsewhere. That changes how Heck is able to design his schemes and how Andy calls plays.

I also mentioned how getting an elite center at 12-13m is a huge bargain. Center is a position that contracts haven’t caught up to on field value. Imo maybe I’m off there. OTs getting 20 and centers getting close to half that isn’t consistent with line impact.

In 2 years, I see top centers getting 15m+ per year and signing Linsley at top of the current market is a bargain.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:13 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by Hoover:
Would love to know your plan on the center position.
I expect them to re-sign Reiter or sign a veteran free agent at center because I just can't see Reid throwing a 3rd round pick out there in Week 1.

Originally Posted by Hoover:
The choice seems to be between a high draft pick or a lot of cap money.
With the salary cap pegged at least $15 million less than 2020, there's no doubt that the market will be flooded with talented guys that will be willing to sign a one year deal on the cheap.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:17 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by BossChief:
If it would cost 8-10m to bring Reiter back, I’d much rather spend 12-13 to upgrade to a guy that a better pass protector (Reiters strength) and be a massive upgrade in the running game. If we can bring Reiter back on a reasonable deal (4-5m per year) I think that may be a wise option to pursue...but he will likely get more than that as a rock solid pass protecting center.
It's difficult for me to believe teams will pay $10+ million for a center in a year in which the salary cap has been reduced by 8%.

Most teams are going to have major difficulty keep their best and highest paid players, so if there's an ever been a year in which talented guys want a job, the market will be flooded with guys that can step in and start Week 1 without issue.

Also, I think the numbers thrown around for Reiter are speculative at best and way off at worst.

I don't think there will be much of a market out there for a 30 year center, who's never made a Pro Bowl, let alone the All Pro list, asking in excess of $10 million per but I guess stranger things have happened.

While I think it would be nice to keep him, I just hope the Chiefs don't make Reiter their second highest paid offensive lineman.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:08 PM 03-04-2021
The Chiefs don't have any cap dollars to throw at the offensive line, so much like last year, the Chiefs will rely on cheap veteran lineman, like Remmers, to sign Vet Minimum deals.

The Chiefs are going into the season with Fisher, Allegretti, LDT, Schwartz, Niang, Rankin and Wylie.

They'll probably need three more quality backup type players, so most likely, one may come from the draft and two from cheap free agency. Or maybe they grab two guards late, as they did in 2014.

I just can't see them overhauling the entire offensive line in one offseason, especially given that there have been no parameters set in terms in in-building workouts, Minicamps and OTA's.
again, I think you're confusing me with the 'get 5 new FA stud starters' group.

In addition to Fisher, Alegretti, LDT, Schwartz, and Rankin (no Wylie please unless he's a sub) I'd look at Peters as your swing tackle/sub and Osemele as depth assuming both pass physicals. Neither would be expensive. Both are good players if healthy. Obviously if they can't pass a physical you don't sign them. If you're not planning on either starting, but instead spelling a guy here and there that could work just fine.

And I'd like to draft a guy in the mid rounds, meaning 2nd-4th. And then maybe a guy late.

So we're really not talking about anything different other than you wouldn't take a guy in the mid rounds but would wait until late. The reason I'd prefer earlier is that theoretically the kid would be ready to play sooner if not right away.

I can't see anyone being upset if they drafted Humphrey, Myers or Meinerz by round 3. I guess you might be. I wouldn't.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:14 PM 03-04-2021
I can't see anyone being upset if they drafted Humphrey, Myers or Meinerz by round 3. I guess you might be. I wouldn't.
Upset? Nah.

A waste of a valuable resource that could be spent at Safety, CB, LBer or WR?

Yes.
[Reply]
staylor26 05:16 PM 03-04-2021
Upset? Nah.

Yes.
Wait, you want day 1 starters, but you don’t want a C at all on day 2?

I don’t see a rookie starting at LB, S, CB, or WR. I mean it’s possible, but not as likely as it would be if they drafted a C.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:21 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Wait, you want day 1 starters, but you don’t want a C at all on day 2?

I don’t see a rookie starting at LB, S, CB, or WR. I mean it’s possible, but not as likely as it would be if they drafted a C.
Dude, who the fuck knows? All of this is just speculation, especially without The Combine and without Pro Day results.

The board changes constantly, right up until the day of the draft.

But yeah, I'd certainly rather see the Chiefs take someone other than a center, especially given that their last two 2nd round centers walked after 4 years.

But it's not up to me to make that decision.
[Reply]
staylor26 05:28 PM 03-04-2021
Dude, who the fuck knows? All of this is just speculation, especially without The Combine and without Pro Day results.

The board changes constantly, right up until the day of the draft.

But yeah, I'd certainly rather see the Chiefs take someone other than a center, especially given that their last two 2nd round centers walked after 4 years.

But it's not up to me to make that decision.
I wasn’t being a smart ass. Just making sure I understood your stance.

I’m assuming that you want to re-sign Reiter then? Or move Allegretti to C?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:35 PM 03-04-2021
Upset? Nah.

Yes.
name me one safety or linebacker that's a starter if drafted, and who they're replacing.

Tell me the last rookie WR that played majority snaps in an Andy Reid offense, and then tell me how successful that was.

I can give you three centers/interior offensive linemen that are immediate upgrades to Reiter.
[Reply]
staylor26 05:37 PM 03-04-2021
Don’t get me wrong, I’d love for this team to be able to draft a S, LB, CB, or WR on day 2 as opposed to a C.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:40 PM 03-04-2021
name me one safety or linebacker that's a starter if drafted, and who they're replacing.
Well, considering the Chiefs are in Nickel 70% of the time, replacing Dan Sorensen would be fantastic.

Tell me the last rookie WR that played majority snaps in an Andy Reid offense, and then tell me how successful that was..
Desean Jackson had more than 1,000 yards from scrimmage as a 2nd round rookie in 2008.

Tyreek Hill had 860 yards from scrimmage and 9 TD's his rookie season.

I can give you three centers/interior offensive linemen that are immediate upgrades to Reiter.
There are very few positions on the Chiefs roster that can't be upgraded, so it comes down to positional value and for me, Center is near the bottom of that list.
[Reply]
Page 152 of 319
« First < 52102142148149150151152 153154155156162202252 > Last »
Up