ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 292 of 293
« First < 192242282288289290291292 293 >
Nzoner's Game Room>***** Official 2017-2018 Kansas Basketball Repository Thread *****
saphojunkie 11:27 AM 04-06-2017
Fuck the elite 8. Final Four or bust, baby.

Will update as people declare for the draft/transfer/commit

ROSTER:

Spoiler!

UPDATE: Important new dates:

Kansas 2017 Summer Tour - Italy
Spoiler!

NON CON SCHEDULE:

Spoiler!

BIG 12 SCHEDULE:
Spoiler!

[Reply]
KC_Connection 01:25 PM 04-04-2018
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
This is called moving the goalposts.

Doke won't make it, because big men have to be able to shoot with range now!

*response providing several big men who don't shoot with range who were drafted high*

Doke won't make it, because big men have to be able to do something other than what I just said they have to do!

I mean, I don't understand this narrative: Udoka Azubuike will not be drafted ever in the first round or just this year? Because, if he comes out, he'll be drafted in the first round. Just hope it's low enough that he sees the merit in returning.

But knowing his backstory, if he can achieve any kind of financial success and get his family out of Nigeria, then I wish him every success and next man up.

But I think he'll be a beast next year if he stays. This was his first full year, you realize.
I wasn’t the one saying Udoka can’t play in the NBA because he can’t shoot (although it doesn’t help). My low opinion of him as a prospect has been well established here. He is a one trick pony in college (low post scoring) who cannot do anything else at a high level and that one trick is significantly diminished in a league where everyone is as big as him and where said skill is going the way of the dinosaurs.

It’s quite possible that he develops other skills as he is still young and becomes a successful NBA player. Right now it’s hard to see why anybody would throw guaranteed millions his way and want to take that kind of project on, though.
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 05:12 PM 04-04-2018
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
If he's not waiting on Vick and Newman, what is he waiting on? There's nobody on Indiana or Vandy affecting his decision.

If both those guys leave, bet your ass he declares for Kansas.
I live in Indiana, pretty close to New Albany actually, and that’s the feeling here as well. He has to be waiting to see who leaves, unless he planned on announcing on a specific date beforehand.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:18 PM 04-04-2018
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc:
I live in Indiana, pretty close to New Albany actually, and that’s the feeling here as well. He has to be waiting to see who leaves, unless he planned on announcing on a specific date beforehand.
l thought Newman has already declared and hired an agent?
Did l not read that somewhere?
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 05:31 PM 04-04-2018
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc:
Also, a rumor making the rounds here is that Langford’s parents are pushing him towards IU while he’s leaning more toward either Vandy, to play with his buddy Garland, or Kansas.

I don’t put much stock in that, it’s just what I’ve heard.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 06:51 PM 04-04-2018
Newman declared. No idea if he is signing with an agent or not, but I'd assume he is.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 06:53 PM 04-04-2018
Scratch that, looks like he's planning to hire an agent.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 07:42 PM 04-04-2018
Man... talk about playing yourself into a draft pick.

I personally think he needs to stay one more year and he'd be a top 15 pick perhaps, if he played next season like he did the last month of this season.

He was VERY inconsistent just about all season long and then struck lightning in a bottle at the right time. And he can't play defense worth a shit, but granted nobody plays defense in the NBA. Good luck to him.
[Reply]
BWillie 07:59 PM 04-04-2018
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
Man... talk about playing yourself into a draft pick.

I personally think he needs to stay one more year and he'd be a top 15 pick perhaps, if he played next season like he did the last month of this season.

He was VERY inconsistent just about all season long and then struck lightning in a bottle at the right time. And he can't play defense worth a shit, but granted nobody plays defense in the NBA. Good luck to him.
:-)

Not true at all. In fact, there are countless examples of guys who can score that can't defend and are now out of the league.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 08:16 PM 04-04-2018
Originally Posted by BWillie:
:-)

Not true at all. In fact, there are countless examples of guys who can score that can't defend and are now out of the league.
It is true, it's a different game, new generation of softies who don't D up. They might during the playoffs...but that's about it.
[Reply]
O.city 09:47 PM 04-04-2018
It’s not true at all

Go sit courtsode and tell me they don’t play d

They’re just that good at scoring the ball
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:23 PM 05-09-2018
KU basketball lands another No. 1 ranking in early 2018-19 preseason polls
BY GARY BEDORE| GBEDORE@KCSTAR.COM
Yesterday
Kansas continues to be a popular choice for preseason No. 1 team in the country heading into the 2018-19 college basketball season.

NBCsports.com updated its rankings this week and, like ESPN.com, CBSsports.com, USA Today, Sporting News and Yahoo Sports, lists KU as the preseason favorite to win the 2019 national title.

“Losing Devonté Graham is a major, major blow for this program, but they had as much talent sitting out this season as any program in college basketball,” writes Rob Dauster of NBC Sports. “Cal transfer Charlie Moore should be able to step in and handle the point guard duties — if that role isn’t taken over by Devon Dotson — while Dedric Lawson and K.J. Lawson will give Bill Self actual power forwards, something he has been yearning for the last two years.
[Reply]
sedated 05-21-2018, 09:51 AM
This message has been deleted by sedated. Reason: wrong thread
BWillie 04:19 PM 06-05-2018
https://247sports.com/college/kansas...turn-118781224

Kansas fans received a bit of a curveball last week when Lagerald Vick’s mother revealed that Vick pulled his name from the NBA Draft pool and never signed with an agent. But his chances of rejoining the team in Lawrence don’t sound great.

“Lagerald and I talked at the end of the season, and it was a situation where he was going to do his best to prepare himself and put himself in position to stay in the draft,” Self told ESPN’s Jeff Borzello. “And if he didn’t stay in the draft, there was certainly the option for him to transfer.”

If that doesn’t exactly sound like he’s rolling out the welcome mat with Kansas’ final scholarship, Self also said the door hasn’t closed on a potential Vick return.

“I haven’t made a final decision on the situation, but the talk we had at the end of the season would be that he would go somewhere else if he decided to stay in school,” Self said. “That was something we talked about; we kind of agreed on that.”

As the head coach of the USA U-18 team, Self won’t be back in Lawrence until mid-June, but he said he expects to discuss Vick’s status with the senior-to-be.

“He should look into whatever he wants to do, or look into other schools or whatnot,” Self said. “But there will be a point in time when I get back that I’m sure we’ll sit and down [sic] and we’ll visit and talk about the situation.

“But I have not planned on having him back since the season was over.”

Will Self take Vick back? The math has changed. Kansas has pursued shooters with the Jayhawks’ final scholarship, most notably Albany transfer Joe Cremo. And while Cremo chose Villanova, Vick could potentially represent the kind of proven outside shooting that Kansas currently lacks.

On the other hand, Kansas does appear to be pretty tight on the wings. Quentin Grimes, the No. 2 combo guard and No. 8 overall player, is likely to fill one wing spot, while sophomore Marcus Garrett and transfer K.J. Lawson could battle for the other. And that doesn’t count Sam Cunliffe or incoming freshman Ochai Agbaji, or even the possibility of Kansas playing Charlie Moore and Devon Dotson alongside each other in limited minutes.

None of those players currently match Vick’s 37.3 percent career three-point percentage (Moore, at 35.2 percent, comes closest). And while some of those players could emerge as shooters over the next year — Grimes shot 39 percent from three in his junior and senior high school seasons — Vick could provide a bit of a security blanket as a shooter who’s already familiar with the team and the system.

Vick’s chances of rejoining the team don’t seem great, given those Self quotes. But it’s still a situation that bears watching over the next few weeks.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 05:41 PM 06-05-2018
That's what I expected. Self doesn't want this guy anywhere near the team again. It was tiresome watching him for 3 years not doing any of the stuff he was coached to do.
[Reply]
Lzen 10:18 AM 06-14-2018
https://247sports.com/college/kansas...robe-119016511

Some of the biggest questions heading into the 2018-19 season for the KU men’s basketball team have been around the status of sophomore Silvio De Sousa.

De Sousa appeared to be linked to the latest release of the FBI probe into college basketball. Neither he nor his guardian were named in the most recent report, but some of the details in the indictment seemed to line up with De Sousa’s arrival at KU.

So far, De Sousa has been a full participant in KU’s offseason, at least publicly. He’s participated in camps, practices, autograph-signing sessions and scrimmages, while just about everyone interviewed about him has spoken of De Sousa as if he is going to be eligible for next season.

While that doesn’t necessarily mean everything is perfect behind the scenes, it is an approach worth noting.

With that, here are some of the voices that have spoken about De Sousa this offseason and what they’ve been saying:

Bill Self

In a recent interview with The Athletic's Seth Davis, Bill Self was asked specifically about De Sousa’ eligibility. He noted he couldn’t speak “specifically about that situation,” but said “at this time we feel very confident that everybody that is eligible to participate for the next year will be participating.”

“There’s been nothing at this point in time to lead us to believe anything other than that,” Self told Davis.

That comment wasn't especially revealing, but again, it's a different approach than if Self were just to "no comment" the question or say it's something with which KU will have to wait and see. It's also worth noting that according to the same FBI release that appeared to reference De Sousa, KU is only seen as having been potentially defrauded and not as having committed any alleged wrongdoing.

KU assistant coaches

The KU assistants have continued to talk about De Sousa as if they’ll have him for the upcoming year.

In an interview with 247Sports, KU big men coach Norm Roberts spoke about De Sousa unprompted when asked about the big men as a whole for the upcoming season. In a recent media session with several reporters, KU assistant Kurtis Townsend did the same.

“I think we’re going to have a really, really good team,” Townsend said. “I think Silvio is much improved and his body looks great. Doke is going to be really good. Dedric has a chance to be an all-league type guy.”

Again, this doesn't necessarily mean one thing in either direction. But it is worth noting considering the assistants could simply choose to leave his name out when they speak of the team. So far, the approach has been to talk as if it's business as usual.

Silvio De Sousa’s guardian

De Sousa’s guardian, Fenny Falmagne, has spoken on multiple occasions about the potential allegations against both himself and De Sousa. As recently as April, he told KUsports.com: “Nothing ever happened.”

“I have never taken anything from Adidas. Silvio hasn’t done anything for them,” Falmagne told KUsports.com. “That’s the whole thing. He had no affiliation with Adidas. Zero. He never played for Adidas.”

Falmangne also told KUsports.com that he was not going to hire an attorney as he didn’t feel it was necessary. He also denied the potential allegations to the Kansas City Star.

“He did not take any money, we did not take any money,” Falmagne told the Star. “The kids and I never took money from anyone.”

Silvio De Sousa

The most recent party to speak on the De Sousa news was De Sousa himself. The Kansas City Star caught up with him at a camp in Topeka and spoke with him about a variety of topics, including improvements he wants to make for the upcoming season and his adjustment joining KU in the middle of last year.

According to a story written by the Star’s Gary Bedore, when asked about the probe, De Sousa answered:

“I am not really worried about it. I know I didn’t do anything so I don’t need to worry about it.”
[Reply]
BWillie 11:53 AM 06-14-2018
Charlie motherfuckin' Moore

The heir to the throne of Frank Mason and Devonte Graham. Watch.
[Reply]
Page 292 of 293
« First < 192242282288289290291292 293 >
Up