ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 85
« First < 45678 91011121858 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Handy-Man Corner
Iowanian 08:25 AM 09-24-2004
I'm tired of bad Chiefs news.....

I thought it would be a good idea for a thread on the Handy-Man.

Do you have any Home remedies, gadgets you've made, advice on car repair, home maint, sollutions to kill weeds in your yard, bugs in your garden?

Use Coke to clean your batteries? That type of stuff.
Home made floor dry?
[Reply]
Iowanian 03:49 PM 11-15-2005
Garage door opener dilema.

Ok Tool Men...
I've got a garage, it has a door, it has a newer automatic opener.
It was working fine, and then one day, wasn't. I can push the button(remote or one inside) and it opens just fine, when I push the close button, it comes down about 3/4 the way, goes back up and clicks/blinks 3 times.

Suggestions?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:57 PM 11-15-2005
Originally Posted by Iowanian:

Ok Tool Men...
It was working fine, and then one day, wasn't. I can push the button(remote or one inside) and it opens just fine, when I push the close button, it comes down about 3/4 the way, goes back up and clicks/blinks 3 times.

Suggestions?
On the back of the unit there is a reset button. Try it.

Redo the code and syncronize the unit.

Have you got an outside keypad to manually enter a code in?
[Reply]
Dinny Bossa Nova 04:01 PM 11-15-2005
Originally Posted by Iowanian:

Ok Tool Men...

Suggestions?
Three, off the top of my head.

Check to make sure all of the rollers are in the track, and aligned properly in the mounting brackets on the door panels.

If so, try keeping the button pressed in the entire travel of the door going down. See if it makes it through the snag-spot.

If not, press the button and get to the door before it snags, and "assist" it through said snag-spot.

All I gotfernow.

Dinny
[Reply]
Iowanian 04:03 PM 11-15-2005
If I hold the button from inside, it will close. If I don't hold the button through the cycle, it won't.

It does have an outside entry pad, but I don't think I've ever used it. I'll check for a reset button, but don't have a clue as to redoing codes.
[Reply]
Dinny Bossa Nova 04:08 PM 11-15-2005
BRC had steps 4 and 5.

They require some uh, well... er you know, probably a ladder, and some uh,

I got nothin'

Dinny
[Reply]
Iowanian 04:10 PM 11-15-2005
Ladder not required....I can stand in my boat which is taking up the whole thing, which gets to the problem....

To Do
21."get the garage door fixed and open for use by the family before snow falls"....oops.
[Reply]
Dinny Bossa Nova 04:16 PM 11-15-2005
At the risk of a good callin' out, you might be suffering from what we in the "industry" call a defective or worn-out garage door opener.

Dinny
[Reply]
Iowanian 04:22 PM 11-15-2005
Its possible, but though I bought hte house in June, and it wasn't clarified as to the age, I don't think the opener is very old....I'd wager less than 5 years. What is the average life expectancy?
[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:09 PM 11-15-2005
1. Loosen the door from the opener [there should be a quick release on the chain/gear] and manually run it through the problem area, see if there's a palpable snag.
2. If you have the electric eyes, make sure they're not getting misaligned or obstructed by the travel of the door.
3. Check and see if your opener has a sensitivity setting. If so, open it up a little.
4. Check your manual and see if the '3 blink' is a specific problem code.
[Reply]
Dinny Bossa Nova 05:09 PM 11-15-2005
I honestly don't know what the life-expectancy, but I'm sure it's tied to the quality of the unit.

If you can't find a snag in the track/roller thang, be aware there is a wide gray area between completely dead and working properly.

If the reset/reprogram doesn't solve it, you are likely looking at some new hardware.

And of course, the lowest price is not always the greatest value.

Dinny
[Reply]
Phobia 05:11 PM 11-15-2005
Your tension spring is broken.

Check the two springs on the roller above the door. One of them is broken.

Do not try to repair this yourself.

Call a professional.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:13 PM 11-15-2005
Originally Posted by Phobia:
Your tension spring is broken.

Check the two springs on the roller above the door. One of them is broken.

Do not try to repair this yourself.

Call a professional.
A little premature, no? Don't know if he has tension spring or running/roller spring. Also, a bad tension spring would produce more problems raising than lowering.
[Reply]
Phobia 05:15 PM 11-15-2005
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
A little premature, no? Don't know if he has tension spring or running/roller spring. Also, a bad tension spring would produce more problems raising than lowering.
I dunno. I've run into 3 of these situations in the past year. I didn't pay much attention to the symptoms but from what I absorbed there's a match. Most newer doors have the roller tension springs.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:18 PM 11-15-2005
Originally Posted by Phobia:
I dunno. I've run into 3 of these situations in the past year. I didn't pay much attention to the symptoms but from what I absorbed there's a match. Most newer doors have the roller tension springs.
If there'd be mention of the opener laboring more than usual, or problems on raising, I'd be exploring that too. But this smacks of a safety/obstruction/electronics problem. Something's telling it there's something in the way.
[Reply]
FAX 05:21 PM 11-15-2005
I have it on good authority that boogers will serve as caulk when you're in a pinch. They're oderless too.

FAX THE INNOVATIVE
[Reply]
Page 8 of 85
« First < 45678 91011121858 > Last »
Up