ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Jets targeting Manning for GM position
jjchieffan 06:09 PM 05-19-2019
Peyton Manning is a wanted man these days. Between being sought after as a commercial pitch man or a potential “Monday Night Football” announcer, the five-time MVP will have some sort of notable post-playing career.

Now comes the latest rumor: Could he be the next New York Jets general manager?
After Jets CEO and chairman Christopher Johnson announced the firing of GM Mike Maccagnan on Wednesday, NBC Sports’ Mike Florio reported that league sources believe the Jets will key in on Manning.

With no front office experience, Manning would not be a traditional hire, but that seems to fit Johnson’s MO this hiring cycle.

“It’s more than a talent evaluation guy,” Johnson said on a conference call Wednesday. “I want a great strategic thinker. A great manager. A communicator. Someone who can collaborate well with the building. And I’m convinced we’re going to find that person.”

The connection between Manning and the Jets goes back well beyond the current ownership group, which took over in 2000. As Florio pointed out, there was a rumor that Manning would have left Tennessee a year early if the Jets promised to select him first overall in 1997. However, the potential marriage did not work out, and the Jets even traded out of the first overall pick. One year later, Manning went No. 1 to the Indianapolis Colts, and the rest is history.
[Reply]
Hoover 06:09 PM 05-19-2019
LOL
[Reply]
jjchieffan 06:11 PM 05-19-2019
Interesting that he wanted to go to the Jets and they traded away the pick instead. That would have been interesting, having him in the same division as Brady.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 06:17 PM 05-19-2019
Pathetic. I wanted Louis Riddick for us. The Jets would be better off with him. He knows his shit and can handle the job.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:29 PM 05-19-2019
His first job would be to fire Gase
[Reply]
ThaVirus 06:30 PM 05-19-2019
Originally Posted by jjchieffan:
The connection between Manning and the Jets goes back well beyond the current ownership group, which took over in 2000. As Florio pointed out, there was a rumor that Manning would have left Tennessee a year early if the Jets promised to select him first overall in 1997. However, the potential marriage did not work out, and the Jets even traded out of the first overall pick. One year later, Manning went No. 1 to the Indianapolis Colts, and the rest is history.
Huh. I hadn't heard that.

Pretty cool 'what if?' scenario
[Reply]
Frazod 06:31 PM 05-19-2019
I'm in favor of anything that gets the motherfucker off my TV screen.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 06:32 PM 05-19-2019
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
His first job would be to fire Gase
Why? He set records with Gase. This would be a fanstic hire.
[Reply]
Simply Red 06:37 PM 05-19-2019
I think he'd do well.
[Reply]
chinaski 06:38 PM 05-19-2019
Scott Pioli is available...
[Reply]
rtmike 06:48 PM 05-19-2019
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Why? He set records with Gase. This would be a fanstic hire.
I thought Five Head was his pimp, got him the Fins job.
[Reply]
HemiEd 06:48 PM 05-19-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I'm in favor of anything that gets the mother****er off my TV screen.
This, exactly this. If he gets on MNF that will be just horrible.
[Reply]
OrtonsPiercedTaint 06:49 PM 05-19-2019
Woody going to move the Jets to London? Maybe Madonna is available
[Reply]
rabblerouser 06:49 PM 05-19-2019
GM Manning?
OK then.
[Reply]
jjchieffan 06:53 PM 05-19-2019
He would probably be pretty good. But I disagree with the notion that he has no experience. He ran the Donks for 5 years. Just because ElFraud held the job title and took the credit is irrelevant. It's clear now that he's gone that ElFraud hasn't got a clue about how to run a team. If Manning wasn't there, ElFraud would have already been fired.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up