ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 11
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Pellet Grills
Buehler445 10:13 AM 05-08-2019
My old LP grill is to the point where it needs parts or needs to go. The wife is thinking a pellet grill might be better for her to use.

I thought there was a thread on here about them, but the one I could dig up is over a decade old.

What are you guys running these days? Pros/Cons?

I don't know much about anything except Traegers and people I know have had trouble with them.

I'd PROBABLY be leaving it outside so I'd need a cover for it.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 10:15 AM 05-08-2019
I got a Traeger during prime days last year. We really like it. Variety of cooking and smoking. However, it does take longer to heat up and isn't as convenient.
[Reply]
Dunit35 10:16 AM 05-08-2019
I have a Traeger. Works well, doesn’t get above 350 though. If you want sear marks you’re not getting it on a Traeger, at least on mine anyways. I’ve had it for five or so years, without any mechanical issues.

I will be glad when it dies though. I want a Yoder Pellet grill. Made in Hutchinson, KS. Expensive, can cold smoke, sear. It’s been a while since I’ve researched them so maybe they’ve changed in the quality department.
[Reply]
tomahawkchop25 10:18 AM 05-08-2019
I've had a Green Mountain for a couple of years and absolutely love it.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 10:23 AM 05-08-2019
Traegers rock. Make sure you cover them though as the pellets turn to concrete and destroy the grill.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 10:25 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Dunit35:
I have a Traeger. Works well, doesn’t get above 350 though. If you want sear marks you’re not getting it on a Traeger, at least on mine anyways. I’ve had it for five or so years, without any mechanical issues.

I will be glad when it dies though. I want a Yoder Pellet grill. Made in Hutchinson, KS. Expensive, can cold smoke, sear. It’s been a while since I’ve researched them so maybe they’ve changed in the quality department.
Holy crap that is expensive.
[Reply]
In58men 10:26 AM 05-08-2019
Weber Smokey Mountain hands down.

You’ll also save a shit ton of money
[Reply]
Dante84 10:33 AM 05-08-2019
My Traeger is awesome.
[Reply]
arrowheadnation 10:34 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by tomahawkchop25:
Yep. I have a Green Mountain Daniel Boone. Picked it over the Treager because it gets to 400 degrees. I have never had any issues with it in 3 years. I also bought a set of Grill Grates for mine...perfect grill lines. That being said, if I had the money, I would have bought a Yoder. Very high quality. Very expensive.
[Reply]
okiedokieokoye 10:36 AM 05-08-2019
The timing of this thread is so bizarre. After weeks of debating if we wanted to spend the money on a grill we don't really need (I have a fully functional Chargriller), we decided to pull the trigger on a Camp Chef Magnum Dual Function. It had some amazing features. The smoker obviously, a slide handle that lets you switch from direct heat to indirect heat on the grill, 2 built in thermometers, a viewing window for both the grill and the hopper and a bottle opener for your beer. I get it on Monday and I'm so excited to try it out!
[Reply]
notorious 10:41 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Dunit35:

I am about to blow your mind, Dunit. Look by the dial of your Traeger, there will be a little recessed “reset” button. Grab an ink pen or I use my thermometer, and push it. That sets the “p” number, which controls the speed at which your grill distributes pellets. Set that ****er to p-0 and you will get to around 460-475.
[Reply]
notorious 10:45 AM 05-08-2019
I had a Louisiana Grill. Fuck that thing with irrigation pipe. It jammed, set on fire, you name it.

I went with a Traeger. We grill 3-4 times a week, smoke at least once, and I have never had a problem over the last 3-4 years. My dad has a first gen Traeger that’s rusted out, and it still works well just fine.

I don’t know why people say they have problems with them. We’re just lucky I guess.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 10:53 AM 05-08-2019
I think Traegar's are alright, but not worth what you're spending. Have heard a lot of good things about rectec grills.

Originally Posted by tomahawkchop25:
FIL has a GMG Daniel Boone with the wifi and really seems to still like it years later.
[Reply]
srvy 11:04 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY:
Traegers rock. Make sure you cover them though as the pellets turn to concrete and destroy the grill.
They all have that problem. Pellets get wet then sit and setup like concrete in the feedtube.

The other problem or at least with mine is the hot rod ignitor burning out or the in line fuse blowing. All above easy fixes.
[Reply]
srvy 11:06 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by In58men:
Weber Smokey Mountain hands down.

You’ll also save a shit ton of money
Yep tried and true and no electric motors and fans to go bad.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 11
1 2345 > Last »
Up