ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 7
< 12 3456 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Tractor Question
Renegade 06:33 PM 05-07-2019
I know this will turn into a Chevy vs Ford type of debate.

I am looking for a compact tractor in the 25-30 HP range, 4wd. Things to get now are a loader and a mower (I am leaning towards a belly mower). Future implements to be added would be an auger and maybe a box blade. Ability to run a wood splitter would be an added bonus. I know the dealership plays a big part in the decision process. I am not a brand loyalty kind of guy

What brand does everyone use, and what features do you like about it?

I have looked at

John Deere (I love the drive on mower deck, and it clicks in place). I believe only Deere Parts work on a Deere, but unsure
Kubota
Kioti
Mahindra (this one is a little harder to find in SW MO)
Massey Ferguson
New Holland (probably rule this one out)
[Reply]
notorious 05:46 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Renegade:
That 0% is a great deal right now. I also believe the Drive Green event is coming up. The yard will be a country yard, not a city yard. I have no neighbors. Didn't think about mow time with a tractor being longer though. I was just wanting one toy to do it all. I have 5 acres but will only be working 2 of it. The rest will remain natural.
Hmmmm. We have 6-7 acres of buffalo, and I would hate to use a tractor mower on it. Now that I think of it, nearly every farmer I know has a Hustler zero turn.

We have a double lot with house in town we are going to rent, when we lived there it took me around 45 minutes to an hour to mow normal grass with a JD riding 17 horse. I took the hustler in and it took me 15 minutes to mow tall grass with bigger weeds.

The JD riding mower gets busted out for spraying, and my kids will learn on it.
[Reply]
Coyote 06:10 AM 05-08-2019
Go Green.
For me in all honesty it is a Ford vs. Chevy deal. I think Kubotas are superb as well.
My buddies swear by them. I don’t buy cars, trucks or tractors from ISIS, the Japanese, Al Qaida, Brits, Germany or anybody else that ever declared war on our country.
But if you don’t have my self imposed constraints lots of online discussions over the two
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ed-kubota.html

http://www.goodworkstractors.com/joh...ere-is-better/
[Reply]
Comanche 06:26 AM 05-08-2019

I am looking for a compact tractor in the 25-30 HP range, 4wd. Things to get now are a loader and a mower (I am leaning towards a belly mower). Future implements to be added would be an auger and maybe a box blade. Ability to run a wood splitter would be an added bonus. I know the dealership plays a big part in the decision process. I am not a brand loyalty kind of guy

I have looked at

John Deere (I love the drive on mower deck, and it clicks in place). I believe only Deere Parts work on a Deere, but unsure
Kubota
Kioti
Massey Ferguson
45 horse or more
[Reply]
Comanche 06:29 AM 05-08-2019

I have looked at

Kubota
Kioti
Massey Ferguson
Why rule out New Holland? New Holland = Ford. You should consider parts availability and cost. IMO, JD is not as solidly constructed and the green paint costs more.
[Reply]
Comanche 06:30 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Mike in SW-MO:
Bought a New Holland TC30 in 07 for my cabin workhorse. Have had zero troubles with it since. Swapped out the original battery.Otherwise, still works great.

The leader is probably the most important tool on the machine. Don't know how I lived without it.
:-)
[Reply]
Andoverer 06:46 AM 05-08-2019
We bought a Mahindra 2538 two years ago. The major selling point for me is that their diesels don't have a DPF filter to worry about. It also has a 7 year warranty. We have over 200 hours on it and it's performed flawlessly. We don't baby the thing either.

https://mahindrausa.com/sites/defaul...0%20Series.pdf
[Reply]
Coyote 06:48 AM 05-08-2019
Yeah you pay for the green.
Don’t know about NH or MF first hand-you guys obviously like them. I also assumed he wants a small utility tractor. The advice on parts and local dealership was sound and I would second that fora y of these as a key decision point.
My family history is all green and mostly large field work tractors so my knowledge is more based on that type of use and a local dealership.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:20 AM 05-08-2019

I have looked at

Kubota
Kioti
Massey Ferguson
I don't know much about the small Deeres other than they are too expenisve for me. I was looking at a 44HP that was a little older - I think it was a 10 or 12 at an auction, It the mower, pallet forks and tiller all went for like 35 if Dad was paying close enough attention.

But I will say I drove it and hot damn it was nice. It had a hydrostat, which I can't recommend enough vs a quad range or even power shift. Just behave if you pull a tiller disc or something. Also get a cab. Because even if you don't think you need a cab, everyone needs a fucking cab. Especially in the winter. I've done the cabless gig in the winter. Get a cab. Seriously, Cab - get it.

I hear good things about Kubota. I think Deere is better, but I'm not sure you'll get the dollar value back, unless you want to play the resale game.

There is other stuff around, but I don't know anything about it.

As far as tractor for the job, I'm not sure 30 would be enough for a post hole digger and a decent sized box blade. I don't know what the 30 HP rigs weigh, but it might be a little light for some of that.

I don't know what they have for hydraulics either, but whatever you get, get the most flow as you can get. A lot of attachments run off hydraulics and a pump is a good way to cheap. I've been on the other end of not enough hydraulics and it isn't particularly fun.

Scout out your attachments first and determine what class of 3 point hitch they have and get a quick coupler. Just make sure to get the right class. Probably all Class 2 but I'm guessing.

Diesel over gas. Especially if you're going to pull a box scraper or tiller.

I have no idea where your price range is, but it might behoove you to get a used 40-60 HP tractor than a new 30. Or buy up a cab or hydraulic pump or whatever.

Most outfits list their stuff on Tractorhouse so you can see what's out there and get around to dealerships.

For instance, this is a good bit more tractor than a 30 HP with no cab. 400 hours isn't a heck of a lot. Like I said, I have no idea what your number is, but it has been my (albeit not very relatable) experience that buying more tractor used is better money than less tractor new.

When you look at used, what you need to look for is oil leaks, especially hydraulic. If diesel, look at the injector lines and make sure there aren't any leaks. When you start it make sure it isn't blowing any smoke. Start the PTO and make sure it runs straight (doesn't wobble). A lot of jackasses will bend them by doing jackass things and it is fairly catastrophic because it is directly attached to the transmission.

Anyway, good luck. You all think tractors are a nice little toy. I have....a different opinion. But if you need any info, let me know. I can let you know what to look for.

Originally Posted by notorious:
Hmmmm. We have 6-7 acres of buffalo, and I would hate to use a tractor mower on it. Now that I think of it, nearly every farmer I know has a Hustler zero turn.

We have a double lot with house in town we are going to rent, when we lived there it took me around 45 minutes to an hour to mow normal grass with a JD riding 17 horse. I took the hustler in and it took me 15 minutes to mow tall grass with bigger weeds.

The JD riding mower gets busted out for spraying, and my kids will learn on it.
A lot of dudes around here run bad boy mowers. I think they're equivalent to Hustler, but a little less money. I Think We're too damned cheap to spend real money on mowers LOL.
[Reply]
oldman 07:21 AM 05-08-2019
Like Coyote, my family history is all green. My uncle started with a 1951 and loved it so much he bought 10 more over the years. FTR, they all still perform, although my cousin's kids drive them now, farming over 1000 acres in the Ozarks. When we moved to our shack in the country, I paid the extra for a real JD, not a Murray JD and haven't looked back. We're on our 2nd one (the 1st being lost to storm damage) now, but I wish I had gone a little bigger. The key is dealer service. Our dealer has a great rep and, although they are 35 miles from us, if I need field service they are usually here within 48 hours.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:29 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Comanche:
Why rule out New Holland? New Holland = Ford. You should consider parts availability and cost. IMO, JD is not as solidly constructed and the green paint costs more.
NH pretty much = Case IH these days.

They are a hell of a long way from Ford anymore.
[Reply]
tooge 07:45 AM 05-08-2019
I've got a Kubota and a Deere. Honestly, the Kubota is more stout and seems to have a better build quality, but they are both fine machines. I'd splurge for a diesel as it'll run for decades.
[Reply]
notorious 07:59 AM 05-08-2019
:-)

Bueh, you are going to murder someone if you drive a Hustler or Bad Boy. It used to take me 2 days to mow this farm as a kid, now it’s 3 hours max.

It’s similar to when I had to use a 4430 to pull a 16’ disc in 3rd gear. I took a full day to knock out 60 acres.
[Reply]
Coyote 07:59 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
NH pretty much = Case IH these days.

They are a hell of a long way from Ford anymore.
I figured you would have an opinion to this thread question. I was out of my league but that didn’t stop me. Anyhow you guys planting yet?
The real farmer that works my dirt called and said he got the corn in 2 weeks ago, so I’m pretty pleased.
[Reply]
notorious 08:02 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Coyote:
I figured you would have an opinion to this thread question. I was out of my league but that didn’t stop me. Anyhow you guys planting yet?
The real farmer that works my dirt called and said he got the corn in 2 weeks ago, so I’m pretty pleased.
Are you in an area that just got hammered? A small town south of us got 8-10” in an evening. Drove through and there was a lot of washout on fresh planted corn.
[Reply]
Coyote 08:07 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:
Are you in an area that just got hammered? A small town south of us got 8-10” in an evening. Drove through and there was a lot of washout on fresh planted corn.
Well I'm nowhere near the land and a real farmer works it. I was tracking wx and will send the guy a text asking your question so I don’t know. Land is NW Mo. area. All drain tile so typically not flooded.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 7
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up