ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>2019 1st Round Mock (w/ Trades) 4/16/19
kccrow 11:34 PM 04-15-2019
My draft prognostication with all the moving and shaking I expect. It'll be wrong, but so are all the talking heads and draft websites on the planet. Likely my final for 2019.

01 | Arizona Cardinals - QB Kyler Murray, Oklahoma
The Cardinals don't need a QB after selecting Rosen a year ago, but all indications are that they are enamored with Kyler Murray and fully intend to select him unless they are blown away by a trade. Certainly, Murray fits their new offense under Kingsbury better than Rosen does. In this scenario, I think the Cards trade Rosen to the Washington Redskins for 3rd and 5th round picks and completely move on.

02 | San Francisco 49ers - ER Nick Bosa, Ohio State
The 49ers made a huge splash in FA by trading for Dee Ford and I think they'll continue to add more juice up front in the draft. The only question will be whether or not they pair Quinnen Wiliams with Buckner inside or they get another superior edge rusher. It isn't often a team can be in the position to get a stud edger rusher like Bosa though, so I think he's the pick and they create a formidable pass rush duo on the outside.

03 | Denver Broncos (mock trade w/NYJ) - QB Drew Lock, Missouri
It's not really a secret that the Broncos like Lock, the real question is will they move up and get him. I really do think they will because everyone knows Flacco isn't the long-term answer. Lock has a huge arm and throws the ball easily down field plus he has solid mobility for a QB his size. If the Broncos can help him with his accuracy and decision making, he could be a really good QB. The Broncos trade #10, #41, and 2020 1st round pick to the Jets who have made it obvious they'd love to trade down.

04 | Oakland Raiders - ER Josh Allen, Kentucky
The Raiders could go after Lock but I have my doubts. I think Mayock will be level-headed and choose to build a foundation around Carr and then, if he falters, he'll go get a QB in 2020. The Raiders, much to the wonder of the entire league, traded away stud pass rusher Khalil Mack and left a gaping hole on the edge. They'll have to replace him early in the 2019 draft. Allen is fundamentally sound in every aspect of the game, much like Mack.

05 | Tampa Bay Buccaneers - ER Montez Sweat, Mississippi State
The Buccaneers should take Jawaan Taylor here and move Donovan Smith to the right side to give Winston some sort of real protection but they proved their incompetence by signing Smith to such a lucrative deal. Smith is atrocious as a pass protector out on an island. In any event they'll likely look to add juice in their pass rush so it's more than probable they go for an edge defender here and Sweat provides that in spades with freaky athleticism. Sweat could be a slight liability against the run in the NFL given his slender build, but he has the frame to put on some mass.

06 | New York Giants - DT Quinnen Williams, Alabama
The Giants conversion to a 3-4 means they need better 5-techs and they have the perfect one fall in their laps in Quinnen Williams, a pure disrupter on the interior that shows excellent penetration, great pass rush skills, and the ability to shut down the run. He should pair nicely with Dalvin Tomlinson and BJ Hill, day 2 picks from the last 2 drafts.

07 | Jacksonville Jaguars - TE T.J. Hockenson, Iowa
The Jaguars should take Jawaan Taylor here and move Cam Robinson inside but all signs point to them starting him outside again after they re-signed AJ Cann at guard to a $5mil per deal despite his struggles. In any event, the Jags will need to add weapons around Nick Foles and the number one spot in need of an upgrade is TE where Geoff Swaim is penciled in as the starter, and that simply cannot happen. Hockenson is a do-everything TE that will fit in nicely with their physical, run-first offense.

08 | Detroit Lions - LB Devin White, LSU
The Lions have continued to address their defense by swapping out Ezekiel Ansah for Trey Flowers and signing a handful of corners, but they really lack a tone setter at LB. White is an absolute stud at the position with the size and speed to play anywhere in the unit. Jarrad Davis is a nice piece that they took in round 1 in 2017 but he'd be a better fit at WLB than ILB, so White could certainly help with that movement and improve the unit in two spots.

09 | Buffalo Bills - OT Jawaan Taylor, Florida
The Bills have a nice starting LT in Dion Dawkins and added Mitch Morse at center, but every other spot is really up for grabs. They could really use help at RT where Josh Allen saw constant pressure come from and Taylor is the perfect blend of pass protector and run game mauler to play that side. The primary goal for Buffalo has to be to keep Allen upright and off the injury list this year.

10 | New York Jets (mock trade w/DEN) - ER Rashaan Gary, Michigan
The Jets really need a pass rusher no matter what defense they run in 2019. All signs point to Gregg Williams retaining the 3-4 alignment though after they brought back Henry Anderson on a 3-year deal and also re-signed
NT Steve McClendon. That's why it makes zero sense that Ed Oliver is their top target according to reports. In any event, I project the Jets moving down to a QB hungry team and I have them doing so with the Broncos for a 2020 1st and #41 in the 2nd round. Gary is a solid player in all aspects, even if he's being a bit over-drafted due to measurables. The Jets bank on him turning flashes into consistent dominance.

11 | Minnesota Vikings (mock trade w/CIN) - OT Andre Dillard, Washington State
The Vikings absolutely have to fix their atrocious offensive line and that starts at LT where Riley Reiff was just bad. He's not quick enough to handle that side and needs to move to a more natural fit at RT. Dillard is a highly effective pass proctector and good all-around tackle that can take the heat off of Kirk Cousins. The Vikings can't sit at 18 and hope a left tackle lands in their laps because it simply won't happen, especially after seeing Taylor come off the board at 9 and a bunch of teams like Houston and Carolina in need before they pick. I have them giving up their 2nd round pick #50 and 2020 4th round pick to climb up here to Cincinnati's spot.

12 | Green Bay Packers - OT Jonah Williams, Alabama
The Packers pick up the scraps at tackle in the first round, and they are top-shelf scraps to get. Wiliams is a technician at the position in the mold of Joe Thomas. The Packers future at RT with Bulaga is in question and they need to fix their issues at OG to boot. Williams could slide into either spot with ease and would be an effective swing option at LT.

13 | Miami Dolphins - QB Dwayne Haskins, Ohio State
If the Dolphins get within striking distance of one of the top QBs in this draft they may have to make the leap to get up and get one but Haskins could very well fall to them, especially if Denver makes a move for Lock. With Tannehill traded to Tennessee and Ryan Fitzpatrick as the penciled-in starter, 2019 doesn't look good unless they get a QB to groom. Haskins isn't super mobile but he has an arm to make every throw on the field, something the Phins lacked with Tannehill.

14 | Atlanta Falcons - DT Ed Oliver, Houston
Rumors are the Falcons would love to trade down but I just don't see it as a reality. They need defensive line help, especially at DT, in a bad way. Oliver is a super-talent DT that can crush the pocket and put heat on QBs which is difficult to find. The Falcons won't pass on that. There were talks at times that Oliver could go top 10, and it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility. There is the same talk that surrounded Aaron Donald coming out, he's small and won't hold up in the run game. Oliver is a similarly built player with similar traits.

15 | Seattle Seahawks (mock trade w/WAS) - ER Clelin Ferrell, Clemson
Seattle trading away Frank Clark to the Chiefs left a gaping hole in their defense at pass rusher. They have to address the need fairly quickly, so I have them sending the 2nd round pick they obtained from KC in 2020 along with pick #21 to come up to Washington's slot to get Ferrell who is a do-everything edge rusher like Clark was.

16 | Carolina Panthers - ER Brian Burns, Florida State
With Peppers now off into retirement, the Panthers don't have much at LDE so they have to address it; unless they really think that Bruce Irvin is passable opposite Addison. Burns is the last of the stud edge rushers in this draft so my opinion is they need to jump at the chance they have here and shore up the position for a while.

17 | Houston Texans (mock trade w/NYG) - CB Byron Murphy, Washington
The Texans really need to help their secondary after an atrocious year that cost them in the playoffs. Bradley Roby was a nice get but he's not a pure #1 guy. The Texans are reportedly enamored with Murphy and spend the draft capital to move up and get him, trading with the Giants, sending them pick #55 in round 2.

18 | Cincinnati Bengals (mock trade w/MIN) - LB Devin Bush, Michigan
The Bengals have Preston Brown and Zach Vigil at LB but really nothing else and neither offer much speed at the position. They need to invest a top pick on a linebacker with range and coverage ability, so Bush is a perfect fit for them. If Detroit stays pat at 8, I think White goes to them there, so Devin Bush would be a nice consolation prize. The Bengals gained Round 2 #50 and a 2020 4th for the move down.

19 | Tennessee Titans - DT Christian Wilkins, Clemson
The Titans toyed around with the failed Bennie Logan experiment last year so they need to get better on the interior. Mike Vrabel loves Wilkins, having recruited him at Ohio State and having invested time with him this offseason. He's going to get his guy before the Patriots have a chance to bring him home. Wilkins can do pretty much anything and was the heart and soul of that talented D-line.

20 | Pittsburgh Steelers - ER Chase Winovich, Michigan
I probably have Winovich much higher on my board than many do but I think he's going first round. For the Steelers, Winovich brings that run through a brick wall mentality they have traditionally coveted at the position and he also has the athleticism, size, and overall skill set to make a fine 3-4 OLB. The Steelers did pick up the 5th year option on Bud Dupree but it looks as though they are hesitant to make a long-term investment there. I think the Steelers look for a replacement early in this draft.

21 | Washington Redskins (mock trade w/SEA) - WR A.J. Brown, Mississippi
I have the Redskins trading down to gain picks for their rebuild and I don't think they are that enamored with Duke QB Daniel Jones. They need a true #1 weapon for current QB Case Keenum to the throw the ball to because 2016 1st rounder Josh Doctson hasn't lived up to his billing. A.J. Brown is the best receiver in this class and was the best receiver on that Ole Miss squad the past 2 years and torched the SEC with over 1,000 yards and 75+ catches in back-to-back seasons. I think NFL teams will take notice of his quickness and ability to separate from man coverage, his solid route running, and reliable hands.

22 | Baltimore Ravens - WR DK Metcalf, Mississippi
The Ravens really need to get some receiving options for Lamar Jackson as they struggled mightily to throw the football down the field last year. The loss of John Brown as a speedy option for Lamar Jackson hurts a bit. Willie Snead is a 700-800 yard 2nd option and they lack anything much after him with a bunch of mid-round picks at the position vying for playing time. Metcalf has some flaws and isn't the most agile receiver, but he has pure deep speed and will be a big play receiver for sure. If he gets it all to click he could be a monster #1. The Ravens have never been ones to dismiss taking a physical freak at the position and hoping he blossoms.

23 | New York Giants (mock trade w/HOU) - QB Daniel Jones, Duke
The Giants passed on QB with their top pick in the 1st to get the talent they need on defense, then trade down to help with their rebuild. Jones is definitely on the Giants' radar having spent time with one of their coaches and in Eli's QB camps. Jones isn't a big-armed guy but he's accurate and can manage games.

24 | Oakland Raiders - CB Greedy Williams, LSU
The Raiders had problems all over the defense so I see them taking the top CB on the board to pair with Gareon Conley who had a nice year. Williams is great in coverage but lacks in other areas, but Mike Mayock has preferred DBs that have strong coverage traits over all else historically.

25 | Philadelphia Eagles - RB Josh Jacobs, Alabama
The Eagles don't have too many gaping holes and were a Super Bowl team 2 years ago, so if they can address some issues on the offense they should be back in the hunt immediately. Unfortunately, Jay Ajayi tore his ACL last year and it's unclear whether the Eagles will bring him back. Ajayi was a big reason for the Eagles SB run, so getting a dynamic back is paramount. Jacobs is a do-everything back with great size, power, quickness, and speed that also has low miles on his tires. Doug Peterson will be going gaga for this kid.

26 | Indianapolis Colts - DT Dexter Lawrence, Clemson
Finding guys that are 350 pounds that can move like Lawrence is rare and he has outstanding strength to boot. Lawrence splits double-teams well and pushes the pocket backward. He's not a guy that will get you a ton of sacks but he can affect outcomes and shut down the run in the middle. Colts GM Chris Ballard saw first hand the value a dominate NT has for a 3-4 defense while he was with KC and then Chief Dontari Poe. He goes up and gets his man, sending 3rd round pick #89 to the Seahawks.

27 | Oakland Raiders - TE Noah Fant, Iowa
Fant is the epitome of what you want in terms of athleticism from the TE position but his blocking leaves alot to be desired. That said, the Raiders need to surround Derek Carr with as much talent as possible in order to be successful. Jared Cook is a huge loss for the Raiders and they have to replace him. I see Gruden and Mayock falling in love with the potential this kid has.

28 | Los Angeles Chargers - OL Cody Ford, Oklahoma
The Chargers have a huge hole at RT that needs to be addressed and their guard play is subpar so Ford really fits as an either/or type here for them. I think the best bet is to try Ford at RT and see if he can get better there because his size and agility is perfect, but if it fails I think you have a tremendous guard on your hands.

29 | Seattle Seahawks (f/KC) - S Juan Thornhill, Virginia
The Seahawks appear to be in full rebuild on defense and they have a ton of needs on the O-line as well. Seattle is primed to drop down in this draft and pick up more selections. If I know Pete Carroll, he's going to focus on getting that defense back in order and that starts with rebuilding the Legion of Boom. Thornhill is a big-time playmaker that can step in and replace Earl Thomas immediately.

30 | San Francisco 49ers (mock trade w/GB) - CB DeAndre Baker, Georgia
Richard Sherman is aging quickly and the 49ers should move Tarvarius Moore back to FS where he was great in college and where the 49ers also have a big hole. The 49ers come up to grab the last CB in the draft that has consistently received 1st round grades in DeAndre Baker. They send Round 2 #36 and Round 4 #104 to GB for #30.

31 | Los Angeles Rams - OC Garrett Bradbury, NC State
The Rams need to cut down the issues on the interior offensive line and not re-signing John Sullivan was a smart move. The Rams will likely look for a young center that can be an anchor in front of Goff for the foreseeable future, then focus on RG later to replace Roger Saffold. Bradbury is a super-athletic Center that does everything pretty well and is outstanding moving in space.

32 | Cincinnati Bengals (mock trade w/NE) - OT Dalton Risner, Kansas State
The Pats characteristically trade out of the first round with the Bengals who come up into Round 1 after trading down in the round previously. The Bengals passed on a RT in their move down and gained Devin Bush, but they may not be able to stay at 42 to get their guy. The Bengals swap Round 3 pick #72 for Round 3 pick #101 with the Patriots.

Round 2
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Kiimo 02:11 PM 04-16-2019
I didn't specify which Brown on purpose but

Metcalf

26 catches 569 yards 5 TD

AJ Brown

85 catches 1320 yards 6 TD

Marquise Brown

75 catches 1318 yards 10 TD
[Reply]
Willie Lanier 03:54 PM 04-16-2019
You know the jets didn't sign Barr right? He reneged and went back to the vikings...
[Reply]
BryanBusby 04:02 PM 04-16-2019
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
I didn't specify which Brown on purpose but

Metcalf

26 catches 569 yards 5 TD

AJ Brown

85 catches 1320 yards 6 TD

Marquise Brown

75 catches 1318 yards 10 TD
Doesn't really matter which Brown. Marquise is someone I probably wouldn't take because I'd never feel comfortable drafting a WR coming off a Lisfranc injury that high. Metcalf would be a better fit in KC than the other Brown IMO.

I wouldn't scout off stat watching when it comes to Ole Miss. They had one really fucking stupid Offense.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 05:35 PM 04-16-2019
There are so many players in this draft that I would be thrilled to pick up in R1. But many may require a trade up.

My favorites right now are probably Devin Bush, Ferrell, Marquise Brown, Adderley, CGJ, Murphy... fuck there’s a lot more even if I went on.
[Reply]
kccrow 07:06 PM 04-20-2019
Made some adjustments to Round 1. Played around with a Round 2 scenario, added as spoiler. Nothing much in terms of getting fancy with trades in Round 2.
[Reply]
Chargem 02:25 AM 04-21-2019
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Made some adjustments to Round 1. Played around with a Round 2 scenario, added as spoiler. Nothing much in terms of getting fancy with trades in Round 2.
If Simmons is still on the board at the back of the 2nd I really hope the Chiefs pull the trigger on that. Getting a guy who was a top 20 talent at 63 because he may miss most of his first year?
[Reply]
kccrow 08:41 AM 04-21-2019
Originally Posted by Chargem:
If Simmons is still on the board at the back of the 2nd I really hope the Chiefs pull the trigger on that. Getting a guy who was a top 20 talent at 63 because he may miss most of his first year?
I'm rethinking putting him to NE because I'm not sure about Bill with that shit. But I'm thinking he goes somewhere in round 2. Myles Jack went 36 but he didn't have the bullshit surrounding him that Simmons does, which I certainly think will factor in. Honestly, I think KC needs to give the character flaws a rest for a couple years.
[Reply]
Chargem 11:03 AM 04-21-2019
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I'm rethinking putting him to NE because I'm not sure about Bill with that shit. But I'm thinking he goes somewhere in round 2. Myles Jack went 36 but he didn't have the bullshit surrounding him that Simmons does, which I certainly think will factor in. Honestly, I think KC needs to give the character flaws a rest for a couple years.
Draft picks are always a gamble, I don't know why the chance a career might never take off due to off the field issues is any different than a player just never producing and getting cut. Betting on Simmons having no further personal or injury issues at the back of the 2nd is huge value given his talent and not taking that gamble if given the opportunity is just being emotional (the Chiefs, not you).
[Reply]
BryanBusby 11:10 AM 04-21-2019
I think Simmons is going to fly off the board extremely fast the moment Round 1 ends.

A lot easier to bury his problem when he's taken on Friday. His floor is pick 33 IMO.
[Reply]
kccrow 05:45 PM 04-25-2019
Tweaked a bit. Don't have time to get fancy with it. Moved a few trades/players in round 1. Did move Simmons some. Changed a bit of the top 5 or so of the 2nd and latter half of the 2nd.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up