ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 11
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Media Center>James Gunn fired from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. [re-hired]
Direckshun 02:16 PM 07-20-2018
Bunch of old tweets surfaced after some conservative activist outed some of his tweets from 2009-2012 making gross pedophilia jokes. Gunn hates President Trump's guts, so he was targeted by the group.

Somebody else here can post the tweets, as I'm on my phone, but mostly it reads like mindless stupidity, but yeah -- they were totally made in public on Twitter and Gunn works (worked) for Disney now, so.

I've got mixed feelings, but it's hard to argue that Gunn didn't deserve the ax, even though it's going to hurt the quality of one of the best movie properties out there.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 01:41 PM 07-25-2018
Originally Posted by Sorce:

Good job Disney for punishing someone for what they did a long time ago...
You are citing a film from the 1940s which Disney doesn't distribute any more and a minor character from a 1971 animated movie. Gunn's sins were recently compared to those relics. Also, you are treating Disney as the decisions of one person instead of the conglomerate it has become. No one involved with those two projects are still with the company.
[Reply]
Bowser 09:24 PM 07-25-2018
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I get what you're saying, but is context not a thing any longer? Was Gunn attacking with those tweets, or just trying too hard to make a joke (the tweet about Vegas, Rita Rudner, and Ed Hardy shirts was hilarious, though)? Fully agree that online bullying is a bigger problem than most people want to admit, but again, context. People need to realize that there is literally no way to prevent every single body from getting their feelings hurt from other people shooting off their mouths, unless you want to adapt controlled speech outlined by some governing body, and you can see for yourself how well that's working out for England. Disney can hire and fire whomever they want, but we're sliding up against constitutional issues here.
All that said, Gunn said some really, really fucked up shit over and over and over. Either he's neck deep in this NXIVM madness, or he thinks he's way more funny than he really is when he's drunk/stoned tweeting. Hopefully the latter.
[Reply]
KC2004 03:04 PM 07-26-2018
My guess would be that if Gunn wasn't attached to direct the next installment of GOTG most of the fan boys that are throwing a fit and signing petitions wouldn't give a damn. Freedom of speech? Political stances? Right or wrong? Nah its just about don't mess up my franchise and you know it.
[Reply]
Direckshun 07:49 PM 07-26-2018
Originally Posted by KC2004:
My guess would be that if Gunn wasn't attached to direct the next installment of GOTG most of the fan boys that are throwing a fit and signing petitions wouldn't give a damn. Freedom of speech? Political stances? Right or wrong? Nah its just about don't mess up my franchise and you know it.
That does seem to be the case.

I think bowser makes a fair point, though.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 09:39 PM 07-26-2018
Originally Posted by Bowser:
All that said, Gunn said some really, really ****ed up shit over and over and over. Either he's neck deep in this NXIVM madness, or he thinks he's way more funny than he really is when he's drunk/stoned tweeting. Hopefully the latter.
Gunn was fine with Roseanne getting whacked, so let's not cry over his Jacobin ass getting the guillotine afterwards.
[Reply]
vailpass 11:04 AM 07-28-2018
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
Gunn was fine with Roseanne getting whacked, so let's not cry over his Jacobin ass getting the guillotine afterwards.
^
[Reply]
banecat 12:42 PM 07-28-2018
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
Eh, I'm not gonna cry. But there's a bug difference between another retread show being brought back from Noonereallycaresville. And characters being brought off of the page and onto the screen. Plus we're a few movies in, and now the guy that had the vision that was working is now out. But maybe DC can hire him to turn their ship around

Both posted funny shit. She tried to blame pills. And has this pattern. His pattern without pills ended years ago. Because it looks like he gets it, but probably knows his peers. Where she's just another entitled Trump follower who knew better

But the company that hired her knew exactly what they were getting. Probably did this knowing how it would end. But that's what a lot of businesses do. Can't really fault the woman that's acted like new money for all of these years for acting like new money
[Reply]
DaFace 07:33 PM 07-30-2018

[Reply]
Gravedigger 07:56 AM 07-31-2018
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I would imagine Disney will keep course. It would be interesting if they changed course though, to see if making that much money on a movie overrides bad PR in their minds.
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:47 AM 07-31-2018
Originally Posted by Gravedigger:
I would imagine Disney will keep course. It would be interesting if they changed course though, to see if making that much money on a movie overrides bad PR in their minds.
I have a hard time believing that the majority of fans are upset about this enough to want Gunn fired. It'd be nice if a company would have the majority's back instead of appeasing the whiny minority who complains about every damn thing.
[Reply]
Frazod 10:17 AM 07-31-2018
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I must have missed the open letter from the cast of Roseanne, most of whom owe her their careers, thanking her for all she did for them.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:34 AM 07-31-2018
Originally Posted by :
"Given the growing political divide in this country, it's safe to say instances like this will continue, although we hope Americans from across the political spectrum can ease up on the character assassinations and stop weaponizing mob mentality."
Good luck with that. Every thing is perfectly acceptable as long as the person who made the comment has the same beliefs as you. America is fucked.
[Reply]
banecat 10:48 AM 07-31-2018
Originally Posted by The Pest:
Good luck with that. Every thing is perfectly acceptable as long as the person who made the comment has the same beliefs as you. America is ****ed.
I don't agree with you. So you're wrong. I'm right
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 03:04 PM 07-31-2018
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I have a hard time believing that the majority of fans are upset about this enough to want Gunn fired. It'd be nice if a company would have the majority's back instead of appeasing the whiny minority who complains about every damn thing.
Well, the tweets were public knowledge in 2012 when he apologized for them.

It's not like this is something we just found out about. It's just that right wing social justice warriors wanted some retribution for Gunn trolling Trump supporters and got some steam behind it.

If anyone actually cared about this, why weren't they bitching when he was hired?

I'm consistent. I'm sick of humorless cunts starting hate mobs to get people fired over jokes.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 04:08 PM 07-31-2018
Originally Posted by Gravedigger:
This seems like the first shot across the bow for the stars basically saying "No Gunn, no stars"

This is going to get interesting....
[Reply]
Page 5 of 11
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up