ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 90 of 94
« First < 40808687888990 91929394 >
Media Center>HBO: True Detective
keg in kc 10:17 AM 09-09-2013
Hits in January.

Starring Matthew McConaughey & Woody Harrelson. :-)

[Reply]
DeepPurple 11:46 AM 02-26-2019
I just saw the last episode of TD last night. I thought it was really anti-climatic, the old one-eye black man told the whole story. They should moved the Harris killing to the final show and had them all as seniors, and then they beat the shit out of Harris and kill him as he spills the beans on the whole deal. That little talk with rich guy Hoyt was overblown, turned out to be nothing and nobody got hurt, Hoyt didn't really know what was going on.

If I had to choose, last year's HBO miniseries "The Night Of" had me hooked all the way, it was way better. If I had to choose just miniseries in general, I'll take any of the three Fargo seasons over TD Season 3. It just felt empty at the end, sort of like the Seinfeld finally.

I almost forget, Escape from Dannemora that just ended last month on Showtime, that was really excellent!!! Check it out if you haven't seen it.

[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 01:16 PM 02-26-2019
LOL, I turned to my wife and literally siad "worst finale since Seinfeld".
[Reply]
RN47 01:24 PM 02-26-2019
Bore fest. Mumbling, incoherent,and not that enjoyable.

As far as living actors better than Ali? Are you kidding? Living? I'll start with currently working then move to include actors that are legendary that are still 'living' and maybe not working so much that are all superior to Maserhali Ali.

Tom Hardy
Denzel Washington
Michael Fassbinder
Christian Bale
Gary Oldman
Edward Norton
Joaquin Phoenix
Leonardo DiCaprio
Sam Rockwell
Bryan Cranston
Paul Giamatti
Benecio Del Toro
Matthew McConaughey
Mads Mikkelson
Benedict Cumberbatch
Hugh Jackman
Jake Gyllenhall
Adrien Brody
Ben Mendehlson
Daniel Day Lewis
Vincent Donofrio
Brad Pitt
Robert Downey Jr.
John Malkovich
Woody Harrelson
Jamie Foxx
Jeff Bridges
Josh Brolin
John Turtorro
Christopher Walken
Viggo Mortensen

Not working, but LIVING (per the original quantification)
Jack Nicholson
Al Pacino
Sean Connery
Michael Caine
Morgan Freeman
Robert DeNiro
Tom Hanks
Clint Eastwood
Anthony Hopkins
Ben Kingsley
Willem Defoe
Harvey Keitel
Bill Nighy
Max Von Sidow

All of these actors are superior. All of them.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 07:43 PM 02-26-2019
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
I just saw the last episode of TD last night. I thought it was really anti-climatic, the old one-eye black man told the whole story. They should moved the Harris killing to the final show and had them all as seniors, and then they beat the shit out of Harris and kill him as he spills the beans on the whole deal. That little talk with rich guy Hoyt was overblown, turned out to be nothing and nobody got hurt, Hoyt didn't really know what was going on.

If I had to choose, last year's HBO miniseries "The Night Of" had me hooked all the way, it was way better. If I had to choose just miniseries in general, I'll take any of the three Fargo seasons over TD Season 3. It just felt empty at the end, sort of like the Seinfeld finally.

I almost forget, Escape from Dannemora that just ended last month on Showtime, that was really excellent!!! Check it out if you haven't seen it.

I thought the ending was satisfying. Not great, but satisfying. The execution was sloppy and too drawn out. But the idea was clever. It was totally unexpected even if that led to an outcome people didn't want. I think people have become too stuck on things ending the way they hope or else be radically surprised by some shocking twist. Then when an ending like TD3 or how I met your mother comes along, people feel gipped.

I mean, this ending while drawn out was really well filmed. Brought closure while still leaving everything up for interpretation. And actually brought a happy ending to a usually dark series. All while tossing in some punchy twists. It may sit bland now, but if the series continues for a few more seasons, i feel like the ending will age well.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 03:59 AM 02-27-2019
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Why do you think it has anything to do by the color of his skin in the first place? I haven't seen Green Book but I didn't think Ali was just totally amazing in TD3. I need to see more things hes in first.

Michael B Jordan and Childish Gambino seem like better actors to me.
Jordan better than Ali? Wow. I don't even think it's particularly close given their body of work.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:00 AM 02-27-2019
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
I thought the ending was satisfying. Not great, but satisfying. The execution was sloppy and too drawn out. But the idea was clever. It was totally unexpected even if that led to an outcome people didn't want. I think people have become too stuck on things ending the way they hope or else be radically surprised by some shocking twist. Then when an ending like TD3 or how I met your mother comes along, people feel gipped.

I mean, this ending while drawn out was really well filmed. Brought closure while still leaving everything up for interpretation. And actually brought a happy ending to a usually dark series. All while tossing in some punchy twists. It may sit bland now, but if the series continues for a few more seasons, i feel like the ending will age well.
I agree, it was well filmed and the ending with the girl at the convent was a happy ending. I guess I'll let it go at that. Did you see Sharp Objects with Amy Adams on HBO a few months? That was very slow moving, it never picked up speed but I did enjoy it. I guess I just like AA in everything she does.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 09:38 AM 02-28-2019
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
I agree, it was well filmed and the ending with the girl at the convent was a happy ending. I guess I'll let it go at that. Did you see Sharp Objects with Amy Adams on HBO a few months? That was very slow moving, it never picked up speed but I did enjoy it. I guess I just like AA in everything she does.
No, but good suggestion. I stopped watching because I couldn't get through it. But good to know it gets better. Maybe I'll give it another shot.
[Reply]
Cheater5 09:42 PM 03-16-2019
This series has gotten a little worse each iteration. Season Two, overall, was more coherent and more interesting. I finally wrapped this up tonight after pushing it off for a few weeks because I honestly lost interest. Absolutely no suspense whatsoever and I had a hard time caring about the outcome — I fell asleep twice watching the final two episodes.

I’m kinda pissed how underwhelming this was.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:48 PM 03-17-2019
Originally Posted by Cheater5:
This series has gotten a little worse each iteration. Season Two, overall, was more coherent and more interesting.
:-) trolling, correct? Season 2 was the worse one by far. So bad it almost got the whole idea canceled.
[Reply]
Cheater5 05:13 PM 03-17-2019
I remember being disappointed with Season Two, for sure. But I never fell asleep. I thought this season had promise and thought they were definitely back on track after episode 1, but it just was so slow moving that frankly my interest waned with each episode. I just didn’t care.

I think Ali’s acting job was very good and he moved between the different eras with ease, which was praiseworthy. But unfortunately the rest of the season tried so hard to be season one that it ultimately failed.

I’ll relent; the acting and characters this season were superior to season two— it was poorly executed.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:06 PM 03-17-2019
Originally Posted by Cheater5:
I remember being disappointed with Season Two, for sure. But I never fell asleep. I thought this season had promise and thought they were definitely back on track after episode 1, but it just was so slow moving that frankly my interest waned with each episode. I just didn’t care.

I think Ali’s acting job was very good and he moved between the different eras with ease, which was praiseworthy. But unfortunately the rest of the season tried so hard to be season one that it ultimately failed.

I’ll relent; the acting and characters this season were superior to season two— it was poorly executed.
A reddit neckbeard has a theory about Season 2 that puts it in an entirely different light.

TL;DR three if not all four S2 protagonists have a storyline that corresponds to the stages of death as outlined in the Tibetan Book of the Dead.
[Reply]
Miles 12:50 AM 04-25-2019
Have 2 episidoes left to watch and this is really fucking good. Not first season greatness but close enough. Mahershala Ali is pretty excellent here.
[Reply]
AssEaterChief 12:53 AM 04-25-2019
Originally Posted by Miles:
Have 2 episidoes left to watch and this is really fucking good. Not first season greatness but close enough. Mahershala Ali is pretty excellent here.
Totally agree....enjoy the last two episodes
[Reply]
Fishpicker 04:30 PM 04-26-2019
1. S3
2. S1
3. S2

thats just my preference. I thought S2 was very good but not quite in the same echelon as S3 and S1.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 07:47 AM 05-03-2019
People who don't like season 3 are the same people who won't watch Better Call Saul. There's an art to telling the story slowly and deliberately. Especially in today's world.
[Reply]
Page 90 of 94
« First < 40808687888990 91929394 >
Up