ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Overtime Rules
Thig Lyfe 05:06 PM 01-30-2005
I've been watching some Arena Football (bored!) and this Chicago-Dallas game is in overtime.

I think that arena OT rules would be great for the NFL. Each team gets one possesion to score, and after that it's sudden death (if necessary). It would solve the problem of overly-quick OT periods while not making it hard on later programming for the networks.

Any thoughts?
[Reply]
Hoover 05:09 PM 01-30-2005
Yeah, I would like that as well. Just give each time one possion at the 20. If its still tied, then kick it off after a coin flip and its like normal.
[Reply]
Eleazar 05:12 PM 01-30-2005
I wouldn't mind seeing the college football overtime format, but I think each team should at least get a posession.

Maybe it could be that if the team winning the coin toss only kicks a field goal, the other team gets a posession. But if the toss-winning team scored a TD the game would be over.
[Reply]
Hoover 05:18 PM 01-30-2005
Originally Posted by Cochise:
I wouldn't mind seeing the college football overtime format, but I think each team should at least get a posession.

Maybe it could be that if the team winning the coin toss only kicks a field goal, the other team gets a posession. But if the toss-winning team scored a TD the game would be over.
Yeah, that would work and encourage a team to score a TD
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 05:19 PM 01-30-2005
No way. Sudden death is great. But they should throw out field goals.
[Reply]
whoman69 07:41 PM 01-30-2005
I hate the college system as it can go on forever. The problem of one team getting the ball and scoring on the first drive would be mostly solved if they just moved kickoffs back to the 35. Back when the kickoffs were at that point, the games were much more fair to the team that had to kickoff, them winning approximately 47 % of the time. That figure is way down over recent years because teams start with great field position and need only a score.
I have no problem with a team winning by FG in OT. The idea of the game is to score more points than the other team.
[Reply]
MGRS13 08:09 PM 01-30-2005
Sudden death...play defense win the game it's that easy. Besides college rules are silly and take one whole phase of football(special teams) out of the game.
[Reply]
Nelson Muntz 08:34 PM 01-30-2005
Originally Posted by ArrowheadWolf:
I've been watching some Arena Football (bored!) and this Chicago-Dallas game is in overtime.

I think that arena OT rules would be great for the NFL. Each team gets one possesion to score, and after that it's sudden death (if necessary). It would solve the problem of overly-quick OT periods while not making it hard on later programming for the networks.

Any thoughts?

Keep the OT rules the same as they are now. If you don't have a good enough defense to keep the other team from scoring then you don't deserve to win. Hard to believe thats coming from a Chiefs fan :-)

As far of getting rid of the field goals, it wouldn't bother me if they did but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
[Reply]
BroWhippendiddle 08:39 PM 01-30-2005
Overtime should consist of one 15 minute period.
2 time outs.
1 challenge.

The game is over after the period, if the score is still tied the game is over.

The players are getting paid enough money to work "overtime" in their profession. The other professional workers in the country work extra hours with no additional compensation, why not sports?
[Reply]
In58men 07:08 AM 05-22-2019

[Reply]
Bowser 07:11 AM 05-22-2019
DAMMIT CARL :-)
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 07:18 AM 05-22-2019
Overtime rules should just be sudden death in pro football. If you don't like it then win in regular time.
[Reply]
Coogs 07:23 AM 05-22-2019
Play a 10 minute overtime like they do in the regular season now. If it is still tied, it becomes sudden death, with a kickoff to begin sudden death. Put the options in on the coin flip at the start of overtime to be the same as the regulation game. Kick, receive, or defer to the start of sudden death... should there be one.
[Reply]
suzzer99 07:30 AM 05-22-2019
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco:
Overtime rules should just be sudden death in pro football. If you don't like it then win in regular time.
Hell just give the win to whoever wins the coin flip. If you don't like it, you should have won in regular time.
[Reply]
loochy 07:40 AM 05-22-2019
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Hell just give the win to whoever wins the coin flip. If you don't like it, you should have won in regular time.
Hell just say the Patriots won the Super Bowl before the season starts. If you don't like it, you should be the Patriots.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up